Where did that idea come from?

RickBradford

In the cartoon on page 5 of Thai Rat, 9th March, the first character speculates on the policy that the Future Forward party might introduce regarding Army power.

To which the second character replies: เอาที่ไหนมาพูด 

I haven't seen the phrase before, but I'm guessing it means something  like: "How do you figure that?" or "Where did you get that idea from?"

Is anyone familiar with this phrase?

I'm not certain, but I would consider it to be informal speech that could be insulting if used incorrectly, because you would be drawing attention to and questioning another person's knowledge, implying that it is inappropriate or unacceptable. เอามาพูด draws attention to the personal act of speaking, suggesting uninformed or unconsidered speech, parroted from another source. It's the kind of thing a parent might say upon hearing a child use a swear word-- Where did you learn to say that? More neutral might be something like เอาความคิดนี้มาจากไหน, which focuses more genuinely on the origin of the idea itself rather than the speaker. Happy to be corrected if someone has a better view on the matter.

I am not familiar with it, I agree with Rick in as much as เอาที่ไหนมา where did you get that from.
Puwa’s comment about speaking to a child prompts me to ask if it is demanding an answer
Does anyone feel that พูด means tell me? เอาที่ไหนมา พูด Bring at where from, speak.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am not familiar with it, I agree with Rick in as much as เอาที่ไหนมา where did you get that from.
Puwa’s comment about speaking to a child prompts me to ask if it is demanding an answer
Does anyone feel that พูด means tell me? เอาที่ไหนมา พูด Bring at where from, speak.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On reflection, there are better ways of demanding an answer, สิ่ for example so I will have to say that พูด does nothing for me at this stage.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived