More Euro-crims Coming To Thailand

taxexile

British men hoping to avoid the shame and embarrassment that committing petty crimes would bring at home are flying in their thousands to Thailand where they can indulge in minor civil offences without anyone at home finding out.

A new report published this week has revealed a shocking catalogue of petty crimes being committed by outwardly respectable British men who regularly visit the backstreets of Bangkok for the illicit thrill of parking on double yellow lines, cycling on the pavement and crossing the road when the little red man is showing.

One such petty crime tourist is ‘Ken’ , a milkman from Daventry (not his real name, job or location); ‘If the people at work knew what I did during my week off they’d be appalled. But when I come out here I can indulge my darkest fantasies; downloading free songs off the internet, leaving shopping trolleys in the multi-story car park and taking clothes back to Marks and Spencer after I’ve worn them a couple of times.’

It’s not just British men who head to Asia to get their kicks from technical law-breaking. One elderly German man disappeared up a narrow stairway that promised discreet "pumpernikel" . A large Dutch man claimed he came here every year to buy a beer from one bar, and walk with the half full glass onto the next one.

But these are not victimless crimes. Each year hundreds of young women are driven in from rural areas, in cars with defective rear seat belts. Girls as young as 14 were being taken to see films with a 15 certificate.

Now the new Thai government is clamping down on petty crime tourists by posting their photos on the internet. ‘That’s me there’ said ‘Ken’ from Daventry, using the unsecured wireless network of the hotel next door without their permission.

British men hoping to avoid the shame and embarrassment that committing petty crimes would bring at home are flying in their thousands to Thailand where they can indulge in minor civil offences without anyone at home finding out.

A new report published this week has revealed a shocking catalogue of petty crimes being committed by outwardly respectable British men who regularly visit the backstreets of Bangkok for the illicit thrill of parking on double yellow lines, cycling on the pavement and crossing the road when the little red man is showing.

One such petty crime tourist is ‘Ken’ , a milkman from Daventry (not his real name, job or location); ‘If the people at work knew what I did during my week off they’d be appalled. But when I come out here I can indulge my darkest fantasies; downloading free songs off the internet, leaving shopping trolleys in the multi-story car park and taking clothes back to Marks and Spencer after I’ve worn them a couple of times.’

It’s not just British men who head to Asia to get their kicks from technical law-breaking. One elderly German man disappeared up a narrow stairway that promised discreet "pumpernikel" . A large Dutch man claimed he came here every year to buy a beer from one bar, and walk with the half full glass onto the next one.

But these are not victimless crimes. Each year hundreds of young women are driven in from rural areas, in cars with defective rear seat belts. Girls as young as 14 were being taken to see films with a 15 certificate.

Now the new Thai government is clamping down on petty crime tourists by posting their photos on the internet. ‘That’s me there’ said ‘Ken’ from Daventry, using the unsecured wireless network of the hotel next door without their permission.

Hilarious- loved it.

Hilarious- loved it.

I only read the first paragraph. :o I should have finished it.

In Germany there's an "Ordungsamt", roughly translated Order Squad. If you're caught stubbing out a cigarette on the pavement, spitting or throwing your chewing gum, beer can etc. in the bushes you get an on the spot fine of €10. I believe in Switzerland you can be fined for not washing your car.