For US expats - TurboTax says I need to upgrade.

smo

Last year I used TurboTax Free edition successfully for both federal and state (zero returns on both).
However this year it says I need to upgrade because I have a foreign bank account. Same situation like last year so why it wants me to upgrade ie pay this time? Has it changed its "free" policy?

Thank you in advance for any inputs...

need2upgrade.jpg

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Can't say, when I tried to get Turbio tax it rejected me outrioght for havin ga foreign address.

I use the IRS's own freefillable forms. Last 3 years in a row. Works very well, fill out online and e-file.  Completely free.

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/

Free File worked for me too, have been using it for many years.

Turbo Tax is not expensive if you need/want it. It's about the same cost to fedex Form 1040X to IRS when I made a mistake :).

I was about to go the FFF route but then stumbled on this thread

So I get back to Turbotax via skatewash method, log on again, tell Turbotax to pick up where we left off and voila, the throbbing green "ready to file" button beckons!  Have no idea what happened but, Thanks!!!

When Turbotax asked for ID for verification, I clicked on "have no IDs" and we continued on our merry way... Submitted and accepted within the hour, both federal and state.

If you look at the 1040 this year, a lot has changed.  They combined the 1040 A, 1040z with it.  Now one attaches new "schedules" for some simple things.  I don't know why Turbo calls that an "upgrade" as I would have imagined Turbo simply updates the packages.  I don't use Turbo

Archived