Engine Doesnt Start: Battery Has No Power

I have an old Nissan. I bought a new battery 2 years go, but because I was outisde the country for many times, the car has not been moved up to 3 months sometimes..... after that the battery was run down, I recharged it at a small repair garage nearby. but after doing this several times, I felt that the old battery, though only 2 years old, is not good anymore. I bought a new one 2 weeks ago, and as recommended by the battery guy, had the engine running for a couple of minute to fully charge it. after 2 days I wanted to start the car again and go on a tour, but it was down..... that time I thought "maybe the battery has not been charged properly yet" and just called somebody to help me start the engine. then I went on a tour (400 km) so at least after that, the battery must have been charged completely.

nevertheless, after another 3 days back home, I tried to start the engine, and AGAIN, the battery was completely down !!!

how can such thing happen ? is there anything in the car that is able to suck out the power of my battery ?

I am kinda helpless what to do.

I dont use the car everyday (I live in BKK and usually only use the car to go upcountry or outskirts of BKK / Beaches, or maybe sometimes buying things at Tesco / Carrefour), but I can not risk that everytime I wanna start it, there is no more power to start the engine....

does anybody have a clue what might be wrong with the car ?

Two things I can think of,

1 your charging system is falty (alternator)

2 you have something draining your batterie, I once had a small digital clock I fitted in a car, like you about three days and the batterie was down, I couldent believe it was the small clock but in the end thats what it was, I disconected that small clock and never had a problem again,

Also you might be just unlucky and have a dud new batterie ?

o it's not the alternator, otherwise you could not drive 400 km without troubles. Something running your battery down, when the car is parket. You can check this easy by your self.

1. Charge the battery again.

2. Disconect the Negative Batterypool (the Plus one you keep connectet). Get a 12 Volt lightbolb connectet between the negative Batterypool and the battery, thats mean you can use a 12 Volt Battery test light wich you can buy in any hardware shop. Must have a real lightbolb inside, not a lightdiode.

3. Make sure everything in your car is turned off, even the interior light, and the doors are closed.

4. If the Battery test ligth is glimming than there is something run ing your battery down. If the Battery Teslight not glimming then your new battery is not good.

5. If your Battery testlight is glimming please oben your fusebox and remove slowle each fuse and keep checking when the battery testlight stop glimming. So you can find out in which electrical cirquit you get the "Electrical User" Just see the words on the fuse cover on each fuse you removed.

It's pretty simple, just step by step.

If it's a diesel he can run 400km no problem, I would guess it's a alternator problem, just get it running and take to auto electrician and he will tell you in a minute.

Yes a Diesel can run 400 km, but your Air con, stoplights, turning lights, or headlights, radio equippment, etc. will stop working after maximum 1 hour of your trip, because the battery would be down if the Alternator don't work.

Gol see a Autoelectrical shop, but sometime they just replace the Alternator wothout checking properly, just to sale things and make money. Check with the Battery testlight anyway. Make sure your Alternator belt is not slipping. Let the boys in the electrical Shop check with a Amperemeter and Voltmeter and make sure how much the Alternator Charges, turn all users on, AC, lights, etc when they doing the test, to make sure your Battery get charged even the users are all on.

Good Luck.

I agree with stingray.

Assuming that the vehicle is not a diesel, I don't see how it could be the alternator. The OP didn't say that during his 400 km trip, he was able to stop & re-start the vehicle. If this was the case, I think he has a current leakage problem.

Edited by elkangorito

thanks for the many quick responses so far!

John1: its not a diesel actually

undercover: didnt add anything new to the car, everything's the same as it was for more than 2 years....

as I am a car-technics-DUMMIE i probably have to get it running once (which is not the main problem) and drive it to a repair garage where they understand some english..... though, thats not an easy task in Bangkok.....

from what you said here, I am sure it can NOT be the ALTERNATOR. during my 3 day-trip everything worked fine, AC, all lights etc.

even when returning home, I took the car to Carrefour the next day (just 2 x 3 km) and no problems appeared.

only after that I had it parked for 3 days before trying to start it again.... then when I opened the lock at the driver's door, I already realized the battery was down, because the central locking system didnt work, the locks of the other doors didnt respond.

unfortunately I am too stupid to do this BULB testing thing myself..... I am too stupid with all that car stuff.... even I am a male :o

thanks for the many quick responses so far!

John1: its not a diesel actually

undercover: didnt add anything new to the car, everything's the same as it was for more than 2 years....

as I am a car-technics-DUMMIE i probably have to get it running once (which is not the main problem) and drive it to a repair garage where they understand some english..... though, thats not an easy task in Bangkok.....

Thailiban,

Since you admit to being mechanically challenged, ha ha, I suggest the following while you are looking for a competent mechanic.

Try and get the truck started during the evening and turn on the headlights. Find a wall or some flat surface where you can shine the headlights and get a good idea of the brightness. At idle, note the brightness, then bring the engine speed up gradually and see if you notice the lights getting any brighter. Even with a fully charged battery, the alternator will put out about three volts more than the battery output and you can actually see the lights get slightly brighter.

If the lights don't get any brighter than the problem is in the charging system. Numerous things can drag down a battery over a few days. Interior lights, car alarms, clocks, etc. A check of the current draw with everything turned off is a valid check as previously suggested

Would almost guarantee its not an alternator problem, you state your vehicle is gasoline powered, that being the case you would be lucky to get 20kms before grinding to a halt. Of course it would be an idea to check the "charging" light on your dashboard to confirm.

And no I dont see it as a battery problem neither, although rapid discharging and then recharging would not help the battery.

my money would go on a electrical fault which is draining the battery when not in use, I note that you state that there have been times when the car has not been used for three months. In future I would suggest you totally disconnect the battery before you leave.

The three months again points me into another direction, namely the scourge of vehicle electrics in this part of the world, namely the RAT, believe it or not they are adapt at wire chewing, all they need to do is chew away the wire insulation then if the bared wire should go to earth etc (ok ground if you speak a different language) and bingo the battery will discharge to the earth

Would almost guarantee its not an alternator problem, you state your vehicle is gasoline powered, that being the case you would be lucky to get 20kms before grinding to a halt. Of course it would be an idea to check the "charging" light on your dashboard to confirm.

And no I dont see it as a battery problem neither, although rapid discharging and then recharging would not help the battery.

my money would go on a electrical fault which is draining the battery when not in use, I note that you state that there have been times when the car has not been used for three months. In future I would suggest you totally disconnect the battery before you leave.

The three months again points me into another direction, namely the scourge of vehicle electrics in this part of the world, namely the RAT, believe it or not they are adapt at wire chewing, all they need to do is chew away the wire insulation then if the bared wire should go to earth etc (ok ground if you speak a different language) and bingo the battery will discharge to the earth

Does a vehicle require the occasional start up / idle trurn over ? is it a good idea ???

It doesn,t take much to drain a battery over such periods so i would go along with N.B,s observations regarding the discharging of the battery.

Friction ect. could also cause this to happen, especially in and older vehicle.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

probably an easy way to see if there is a discharge problem is to use advice given b4, stick a 12 voll lamp in series, but I would also get the battery checked, they do have a failure rate. you could do it yourself if you had access to a voltmeter and some heavy duty load.

There is 2 ways to check if its the battery one is to disconnect the battery once its fully charged. Then go back 2 days later and connect it again and see if it starts your car. The battery should hold its charge that long if its in good health if it does not start then its a faulty battery. If it does start your car then it must be an electrical fault draining it. The other way is if its a battery you can top up with dis- water then open all the tops in a open air space and put it on charge over night then look inside all the holes on the battery to see if they are all gassing, bubbling if 1 or 2 are not then its a faulty battery if all cells are gassing then the battery could be ok. The other way is to drop test the battery at your local garage to see if it holds its charge. Its not the first time I have had to go back to a shop with a dud battery.

regards scotsman

Had similar problems years ago and it ended up being a trunk light switch that did not turn off the light when trunk was closed. Easy enough to check by taking out the trunk light and see if your problem is still there. I suspect you could also check at any time to see if the trunk light is hot to the touch.

Had similar problems years ago and it ended up being a trunk light switch that did not turn off the light when trunk was closed. Easy enough to check by taking out the trunk light and see if your problem is still there. I suspect you could also check at any time to see if the trunk light is hot to the touch.

Wash, you beat me to it!!i was gonna suggest getting in the boot/trunk and closing the lid, with somebody on the outside of course, same goes for engine courtesy lights, here, just take bulb out, about disconnecting the battery, and with everything off, touch the termimal lightly with the disconected lead, if there is a small hiss or a little blue spark, then you have a discharge somewhere, but definitley go for the boot/trunk light first, good luck!!!

Lots of good advice I think. You shoud also make sure the battery cable ends and terminals are clean. This often causes problems. I put a new battery in my Datsun once and had to replace it in a short time because the alternator was overcharging and fried the battery. It had a bad regulator that didn't cut back the field current so charged full bore all the time which destroyed the battery. I Replace the alt. and the battery and had no more problem. Sitting for months at a time without use is hard on a battery because they "grow stuff" on the plates which shortens their life even though you don't use them. You can buy a trickle charger with a maintenance cycle to leave on the battery when you let it sit for long periods to prevent this from happening. Replace the belt also. They can stretch and wear beyond the limits of the adjustment slots to allow re tensioning them.

Your starter could need replacing. Sometimes when the bearings are worn the armature will drag and it seems like your battery is down. Often it cranks fine cold but when the engine heat warms it up after you run a while then the armature drags due to heat expansion.. Let is sit and cool a while and it starts fine again (carry cold beer or go to pub). Your alternator could be undercharging due to reg. problem or bad diode etc. The other possibilities are low electrolyte (overcharching or bad cell), voltage leaks(trunk light stuck, bad alt. reg. etc.), or bad electrical Karma. Take it to a shop. Sometimes parts supply stores will check alternator output and battery condition for free. Good luck.

PS... Whenever you buy a vehicle, buy a repair manual that covers your make and model year. Usually only $20-$30 and full or how-to and trouble shooting info. with lots of pictures.

Edited by faranggl

Just something else to remember - don't expect a lead acid battery to last longer than 12 months in Thailand. If you get 2 years, you're doin' great.

Every battery I've bought has lasted between 2-3 years. The last one was going on 4 years to the amazement of the technician who replaced it. :o

Just something else to remember - don't expect a lead acid battery to last longer than 12 months in Thailand. If you get 2 years, you're doin' great.

Every battery I've bought has lasted between 2-3 years. The last one was going on 4 years to the amazement of the technician who replaced it. :o

What type of battery was it?