No Motorcycle Taxi Stands On Footpaths From June

george

"QUOTE(Oswulf @:02:42) *

QUOTE(RHCP @:47:05) *

... Another thing that becomes legas is driving on the main road under the elevated expressway when it rains ...

Er, I do not understand that. What is the "main road" and why would it not be a normal thoroughfare in the normal case ??

Motorcycles are allowed on the Bus / very left lane only and forbidden on bigger bridges and all flyovers. You can only use the right lane in case you turn right.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"QUOTE(Oswulf @:02:42) *

QUOTE(RHCP @:47:05) *

... Another thing that becomes legas is driving on the main road under the elevated expressway when it rains ...

Er, I do not understand that. What is the "main road" and why would it not be a normal thoroughfare in the normal case ??

Motorcycles are allowed on the Bus / very left lane only and forbidden on bigger bridges and all flyovers. You can only use the right lane in case you turn right.

Aha. I thought that was just the "slow moving" variety, not you basic CBR1000.

Live and learn.

This sounds like great news for the motorcycle riders. Presumably the government will be building suitable shelters for them off the pavement so they aren't exposed to the sun and rain day in, day out - somewhere they won't have to breath in exhaust fumes all day. And it will undoubtedly provide toilets for them, too.

These guys provide an essential service, yet currently have awful working conditions, and work for a pittance. I'm glad to see that the authorities are giving them their full support.

You're perfectly right. Only, I cannot believe City Hall proclamations before they are really turned into facts.

A reduction of the number of Motorcycle taxis in CBD is an awful joke. How do you go to work in time sitting in a car and waiting for movement on the road ?

posttenebraslux

By proclaiming that the taxi ranks have to be moved, and without considering the implications, such as where they go, how will this affect other elements of daily life, and how it will be enforced if at all, sounds like City Hall has taken a leaf out of the Chinese methodology, which has those upstairs pointing to a problem and simply declaring that it must be solved. Prime example was a few years back when the Congress declared that pollution levels in Shanghai must be lowered within two years, which resulted in those charged with the mission simply relocating tens of thousands of people.

Not sure to have understood it right.

Bikes are usually parked on the road side and bikers sit wherever they can find shadow.

Is the gouvernment going to forbid them to sit on the footpath or pavement or sidewalk (whatever you want to call it ...)?

There can't be any law for such a restriction ...

It is supposed to be illegal to ride motorbikes on the pavement

Actually, last time I read the Thai "Highway Code" it's legal to ride motorcycles on the pavement, as long as the road is congested.

Haha. Not sure if that's a joke, but it would not surprise me at all :o

Is there really such a thing as the Thai "Highway Code" ? Is there an english language version ?

Is it legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction down a main road ? I'm very curious.

It's not a joke - but it's only in Thai (though people doing a driving test do get a brief glance at an English translation).

It's not legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction.

And I'm sure you're very curious, too.

Is it illegal to ride a motorcycle at night with no lights? So many of them do much of the time, and virtually all of them have disconnected their tailights! Anyone have a clue as to why?

It will now be illegal to ride motorcycle taxi's on pedestrian sidewalks, but the police will still allow couriers on motorcycles to drive on pedestrian sidewalks when traffic has streets blocked off. I find these more dangerous as these drivers feel free to hit and run since they don't have to wear the identifying blazers that motorcycle taxi drivers have to wear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So what's the story today, last day of June 2007?

Yesterday I noticed that the motorcycle taxis at the end of Silom road were all lined up along the curb of the road waiting for customers. Full credit to the BMA I thought.

Today, Saturday, they are all back parking on the sidewalk again.

Was that it??

So what's the story today, last day of June 2007?

Yesterday I noticed that the motorcycle taxis at the end of Silom road were all lined up along the curb of the road waiting for customers. Full credit to the BMA I thought.

Today, Saturday, they are all back parking on the sidewalk again.

Was that it??

Great isn't it.

We had the same in Phuket. The goverment painted no parking stripes on the pavement when the one way came in. The next day, the tuk tuk drivers painted over them!!

Firm decisive action as ever. Leaves the police free to tackle the important issues of stopping holiday makers riding motorcycles.

I had to jump out of the way of one today...again. As usual, he was parked on the sidewalk, picked up a customer, and headed back down the sidewalk beeping at everybody in his way. There are still plenty of them parked here on the sidewalk today near National Stadium.