George Clooney urges boycott of Brunei-owned hotels over nation's gay sex penalties

rooster59

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Thankfully the very harsh implementation of Sharia Law is by a small number of Muslim majority countries.

For now - The Shariah/autonomous rule was implemented in Aceh province Indonesia, and a less harsh version in a Malaysian province and most recently a Philippine province. This and Brunei are all RECENT, they are NOT hangovers from hundreds of years ago.

10 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Implementation of Sharia Criminal Law and the latest round of implementation (Hudud) was and is covered by MSM. Thankfully the very harsh implementation of Sharia Law is by a small number of Muslim majority countries. One assumes Clooney is influenced by his wife who is going an excellent job of trying to assist the oppressed around the world.

"Implementation of Sharia Criminal Law and the latest round of implementation (Hudud) was and is covered by MSM."

I'll take your word for it, but the fact is that the first time I read about this latest horror (by Brunei) was as a result of Clooney's comments becoming a thread on ThaiVisa.

But to be fair, it's quite possible I missed the thread on TV previously that had come from other sources?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

For now - The Shariah/autonomous rule was implemented in Aceh province Indonesia, and a less harsh version in a Malaysian province and most recently a Philippine province. This and Brunei are all RECENT, they are NOT hangovers from hundreds of years ago.

I know, but still relatively small number of Muslim majority countries with extreme versions implemented and carried out on a regular basis. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_Islamic_law_by_country

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Implementation of Sharia Criminal Law and the latest round of implementation (Hudud) was and is covered by MSM."

I'll take your word for it, but the fact is that the first time I read about this latest horror (by Brunei) was as a result of Clooney's comments becoming a thread on ThaiVisa.

But to be fair, it's quite possible I missed the thread on TV previously that had come from other sources?

First round of harsh implementation was 'debated' on TVF.

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I know, but still relatively small number of Muslim majority countries with extreme versions implemented and carried out on a regular basis. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_Islamic_law_by_country

For now. There are at least two genuine stoning videos on the internet - one appears to be Pakistan/Afghanistan, the other an African country. That is the reality of Islam and it is becoming more fundamental not less.

How did Aceh Malaysia and Philippines provinces become autonomous? By the standard tactic of agitation/armed insurrection with promises of ceasing of this if they got their way. Brunei maybe also as a way of keeping the lid on fundamental agitation. Expect more of this in other countries.

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Brunei maybe also as a way of keeping the lid on fundamental agitation.

More to the fact the Sultan was completely debauched and now old and looking to make amends with his god before his death.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

More to the fact the Sultan was completely debauched and now old and looking to make amends with his god before his death.

Thats more like it, having lived in Brunei he was known for many unislamic actions! losing a million or two gambling must also be acceptable to his view of Islam.

• Like 1

Just now, CGW said:

Thats more like it, having lived in Brunei he was known for many unislamic actions! losing a million or two gambling must also be acceptable to his view of Islam.

You got your facts wrong. It was his younger brother Jefri losing millions on gambling and thousands on attractive ladies in his London residence.

8 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You got your facts wrong. It was his younger brother Jefri losing millions on gambling and thousands on attractive ladies in his London residence.

My facts are correct, yes I know about Jefri :wink:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Sorry but you are incorrect.

Don't be sorry ???? I'm sure you have read little about the Sultans exploits in the daily s - I lived or worked there in 1979, 81-83, 92-95 & 2007 - 08.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Don't be sorry ???? I'm sure you have read little about the Sultans exploits in the daily s - I lived or worked there in 1979, 81-83, 92-95 & 2007 - 08.

Only his Brother's exploits. However would appreciate the links you have detailing the Sultan's own exploits. On another issue - you must have been a Shell employee or a contractor perhaps ?

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Only his Brother's exploits. However would appreciate the links you have detailing the Sultan's own exploits. On another issue - you must have been a Shell employee or a contractor perhaps ?

I was a contractor for Shell, links - you think that he would let the Borneo Bulletin run unfavourable articles on him, that era is pre-internet so probably few articles on-line, with his money he would have them "cleaned" regardless.

Jefri didn't blow through millions it was estimated to be between 6 & 14 billion!

Just now, CGW said:

I was a contractor for Shell, links - you think that he would let the Borneo Bulletin run unfavourable articles on him, that era is pre-internet so probably few articles on-line, with his money he would have them "cleaned" regardless.

Jefri didn't blow through millions it was estimated to be between 6 & 14 billion!

Yes yes, it was billions for gamblng. I was stating that from the reports he spent millions on call girls

4 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Yes yes, it was billions for gamblng. I was stating that from the reports he spent millions on call girls

Flying into Brunei there would often be "models" stunningly beautiful off course travelling in first class - this was before business class was even thought off, they would be picked up at the airport and taken to the private "disco" at the palace :wink:

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Who cares about the multitude of prostitutes the brunai/saudi elite had on their 'plane - not to mention their consumption of alcohol?

This topic is about brunei, and their recent decision re. gays and those committing adultery, receiving a death sentence....

Hypocrisy of the worst magnitude.

Well like so many hypocritical stars with failing careers by purporting to be a "born again Christian",  perhaps the Sultan is similar and has re-discovered Allah and become a "born again Muslim". ? Everybody deserves a second chance surely ?

Edited by geoffbezoz