Patong underground cable project hits delays

rooster59

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1553916758_1-org.jpg

I.M.P Consortium has until Mar 5, 2020 to complete the work, which comprises installing power lines and communications cables, including a fibre-optic main, underground along three kilometres of the Patong beach road. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: A lack of information provided by state-owned internet and communications company CAT Telecom has forced the project to install power and communication cables along the Patong beachfront to be delayed.

Surapol Buakaew, Director of Patong Municipality Engineering Division, declined to reveal exactly what information was required from the company.

However, he did confirm that Patong Municipality cannot even hold its public meeting to inform local residents and business owners about the details of the project until the information is provided by CAT.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-underground-cable-project-hits-delays-70906.php#xKSajYSQ85BEe4Ep.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-30

12 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

A lack of information provided by state-owned internet and communications company CAT Telecom has forced the project to install power and communication cables along the Patong beachfront to be delayed.

Surapol Buakaew, Director of Patong Municipality Engineering Division, declined to reveal exactly what information was required from the company. 

Ha ha ha! What a surprise.

Not only that but they won't even say what information they need. They probably don't even know yet.

Below is my comment earlier this month, when the contract was signed:

17 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Every project in Thailand gets delayed. Thai bureaucracy still hasn't worked out that the contract envelope exchange has to be completed first before any project workflow can be initiated. 

From the vagueness of their excuse one is left to conclude they are still haggling over the size and distribution of kickbacks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

How about asking them to identify their cables in 24 hours and show evidence they were installed legally, otherwise they would be cut?

I understood that this was an earlier project, about 4 years ago, which was not completed for similar reasons and the 2nd and FINAL (?) undergrounding was to be completed by the end of this year.
I further understood that it was only the Power Lines / HT lines that were going underground and NOT the "hanger on cable TV, phone lines etc that were not part of that project, "only electric". 
I understand that there are a lot of unused Cable TV cables that are not being used, as each installation is generally a new install rather than using the original cable or taking down the old unused lower level cables that are so unsightly all over Thailand.