Two killed in Songkhla after attackers sprayed bullets on their pickup

rooster59

Two killed in Songkhla after attackers sprayed bullets on their pickup

By Santiparb Ramasuta 
The Nation

f8076d2bb4dd27a284d3337ee1d4dbf2.jpeg

A man and a woman riding on a pickup were killed on Saturday morning when a group of assailants opened fires on them in Songkhla’s Sabaiyoi district.

The victims were identified as Preecha Phetkaewthng, 34 and Sathiya Saisuwan, 33. Both were of Sabayoi district. They were rescued from the scene of attacks but they succumbed to injuries at hospital.

Their pickup was found riddles with holes of bullets reportedly from M-16 rifles. The assailants ran off with Preecha’s 9mm pistol and cash.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366836

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-30

If I was the Mayor of Songkhla Town, I'd seriously consider changing the name of the town back to Singora. 

This happened about 50 miles from Songkhla Town, as does the vast majority of the violence in Songkhla Province- which covers a large area including a lot of the troubled Malaysia border.

Yet, when people look for a nice beach in Thailand and Google up "Songkhla", they quickly eliminate it as a possible holiday spot.  This in spite of the fact that Songkhla Town has some great beaches, amazing street food and seafood restaurants, and a very family oriented street festival and flea market every weekend.

Shameless plug for my favorite beach getaway in Thailand...  Another shameless plug- try the BP Samila.  Once a great hotel that fell upon hard times for a few years, it's recovered a lot of its former glory and it's the only hotel in Songkhla town right on the beach.  Most development has been across the street from the beach.

That said, and in full disclosure, someone recently blew up the Songkhla Mermaid statue, which is right in front of the BP Samila.  But nobody except the bronze mermaid was injured.  And she recovered nicely with a little welding.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:18 PM, impulse said:

If I was the Mayor of Songkhla Town, I'd seriously consider changing the name of the town back to Singora. 

This happened about 50 miles from Songkhla Town, as does the vast majority of the violence in Songkhla Province- which covers a large area including a lot of the troubled Malaysia border.

Yet, when people look for a nice beach in Thailand and Google up "Songkhla", they quickly eliminate it as a possible holiday spot.  This in spite of the fact that Songkhla Town has some great beaches, amazing street food and seafood restaurants, and a very family oriented street festival and flea market every weekend.

Shameless plug for my favorite beach getaway in Thailand...  Another shameless plug- try the BP Samila.  Once a great hotel that fell upon hard times for a few years, it's recovered a lot of its former glory and it's the only hotel in Songkhla town right on the beach.  Most development has been across the street from the beach.

That said, and in full disclosure, someone recently blew up the Songkhla Mermaid statue, which is right in front of the BP Samila.  But nobody except the bronze mermaid was injured.  And she recovered nicely with a little welding.

I went to to Songkhla Town once in the late 90`s and I loved it. Ive been planning a return trip,but unfortunately my travel insurance don`t cover me if I go there.All of Sonkhla district is at the no-go list for them,same as the 3 districts in the restive south,unfortunately ????

On 3/30/2019 at 6:18 PM, impulse said:

Yet, when people look for a nice beach in Thailand and Google up "Songkhla", they quickly eliminate it as a possible holiday spot. 

Nah, it keeps the riff-raff out.

23 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

Songkla was never popular...even before the separatist thing

Go figure.

It's popular with the locals, but as you say not with foreigners.