Laos/cambodia Visa Runs Info Anyone?

Hi

I am travelling from Chiang Mai to do my second visa. I have a two month visa which i got in Malaysia, i then got it renewed for one month. Now at the end of this month i have to go and get a new visa and i dont want to go to Malaysia again because it is too far.

I am wondering which is the best place to go Laos or Cambodia? Im guessing Laos is closer but is it safe to go for a female travelling alone?

Which city to i go to, do i travel to Nong Khai from Chiang Mai? then which city in Laos do i go to from Nong Khai? where is the embassey there?

Are there any posts relating to this already because i have been looking over the posts here for a while and i cant find anything useful so far....

So hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Is it okay to go to the same embassey back to back or is it advisable to change embassies each time when applying for 60 day tourist visa?

Thanks

There's a recent "visa run report" here concerning Vientiane.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;hl=Vientiane

and another one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;hl=Vientiane

By all accounts Cambodia is an unlikely place to get a TV for the moment.

HTH

:D

Edit : Vientiane seemed a very boring place (we only went on a day tour from NK) but we

weren't there overnight. Can't see it being too risky if you don't go down too many dark

alleys. One peculiar thing. The tour dumped us in a market and after half an hour's

shopping I managed to get the TGF parked on a stool in a market bar/cafe before she

spent my month's beer money. I noticed a policeman staring at me from the square.

And every time I glanced at him he was staring me. This went on for more than an

hour. Just recently saw a thread here from a guy with a pregnant Laotian girlfriend

where it was explained that a farang who gets up close and personal with a Laotian

lady he's not married to is destined for the monkey house. PC Plod probably thought

the GF was Laotian and was waiting for me to do something naughty. Don't know if

this applies if the genders are reversed but it's a useful thing to know.

:o

Edited by farangsay

Isn't Mae Sai the conventional place for visa runs from Chiangmai? This isn't an idle comment because I'm intending to do the visa run to Mae Sai in 2 days.

The poster is asking about a new visa - you can not obtain a visa in Mai Sai, only a visa exempt entry. Not sure if she has reached her limit, or just prefers visa entry, or is not eligible.

Maybe malaysia seem far,but from Chiangmai there are direct flights to Kuala lumpur these days.....

A return ticket with the budget airline Aisasia,is very cheap and cheaper when you fly return to bangkok on normail flights....maybe worth considering,cause travelling to laos is more time consuming then to get your visa from KL.......3 days later you walk in Chiangmai again with the new visa in your passport! :o

Maybe malaysia seem far,but from Chiangmai there are direct flights to Kuala lumpur these days.....

A return ticket with the budget airline Aisasia,is very cheap and cheaper when you fly return to bangkok on normail flights....maybe worth considering,cause travelling to laos is more time consuming then to get your visa from KL.......3 days later you walk in Chiangmai again with the new visa in your passport! :o

I went to Malaysia for my last visa run and i really didnt like the country for a start and it turned out really expensive and i cant afford to fly, airasia do cheap flights but then the tax of the flights turns out to be twice as much as the flight and it ends up being expensive. Anyway i dont have that option this time and i also dont want to go to the same embassey each time in case they dont grant me the visa.

..... as for Mae Sai i have been here for almost two years nwo so that isnt an option.

How come Cambodia isnt a likely place for TVs?

Thanks