MEA 1950 last month...guess today's bill...

moontang

Condo in BKK Metro..high floor, west facing..studio 31 sm.  Last month MEA was 1950.  I replaced the 15 year old ac, that was ultra reliable, with a carrier 17000 btu, 17.6 SEER.

this month will be 31 days instead of 28, and i replaced it on the fourth day of the March cycle...and of course it is an inverter.  Long hot showers, but no desktop computer, and minimal hot pot, sandwich press, etc..  It will be showing up any minute (the bill).  Any guesses?

At least 2500.The same happens all over the country this time of the year for no good reason.I had 2200 in desember and 2400 in january. 3200 in february with air-con use most of the time.I expect 3500-4000 this month.Living alone with a 1 kid only.Yes she loves to play in the hot shower for half an hour a day.No issues with that.But it don`t make sense ,if I do the calculation on all my appliances.So I simply stopped thinking about it.That works

Edited by Odin Norway
  • Like 2

When do they read your meter?  Should be on the bill.  Here the PEA reads the meter on the 18th and we get the bill around the 1st.  So, it's not always easy to relate the bill to your electric activity 3-6 weeks prior.

5 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

If the TV life changing inverter figures are correct your bill should be around 1200B

Yes, but march was somewhat hotter than Feb....I will be glad if it is under 1500.  Humidity is much lower with the new..like 36% now, compared to 70% when I walked in the room a few hours ago.

4 hours ago, moontang said:

Yes, but march was somewhat hotter than Feb....I will be glad if it is under 1500.  Humidity is much lower with the new..like 36% now, compared to 70% when I walked in the room a few hours ago.

If you are actually getting humidity that low it's very surprising, and if it gets much lower it's going to start to get uncomfortable breathing and your wood furniture is quite likely to start moving or even cracking.

40% is the low for comfort, where I used to live it would get down to 20% and under so we had to have humidifiers running or breathing was very uncomfortable.

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are actually getting humidity that low it's very surprising, and if it gets much lower it's going to start to get uncomfortable breathing and your wood furniture is quite likely to start moving or even cracking.

40% is the low for comfort, where I used to live it would get down to 20% and under so we had to have humidifiers running or breathing was very uncomfortable.

Now steady at 41%..so the sub 40 came during a big cool down since I was out of town.  I wasn't aware 40 was a dividing line, thanks for the info..  I even used the turbo button, which is normally not necessary.

Edited by moontang

8 hours ago, moontang said:

Now steady at 41%..so the sub 40 came during a big cool down since I was out of town.  I wasn't aware 40 was a dividing line, thanks for the info..  I even used the turbo button, which is normally not necessary.

FWIW the comfort range for humidity is 40%~70%.

I've experienced humidity that dropped down under 10% in winter and at that point the only way to be at all comfortable was to use a face mask to breath through, as it trapped some of the moisture you breathed out, luckily it didn't get cold enough to freeze that before you could breathe it in again, as it was only around -10C ~ -18C

IMG_7162.thumb.JPG.9a90dc46a7d32337c673745d47259f84.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moontang said:

I read that the manufactures make them to run at 30-60% with 45-55 being optimal.  Asthma sufferers need below 50, and mold is problematic at 60.

https://www.brighthubengineering.com/hvac/81719-best-indoor-humidity-range-for-people-books-and-electronics/

Getting anything much lower than about 45% unless you run your AC full time will be very difficult to achieve in most areas of Thailand. For a good part of the year I have to run a dehumidifier to get our house down to 70% or under.

40 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Getting anything much lower than about 45% unless you run your AC full time will be very difficult to achieve in most areas of Thailand. For a good part of the year I have to run a dehumidifier to get our house down to 70% or under.

one source says if it is above 50f outside, you should be below 50% humidity inside. I live in BKK, and using the ac full time is reality.  I just came back from the park and i am at 42%.  No way I would consider supplementing a computer chip controlled ac with a de-humidifier..unless it was some kind of hot room, oddball size house issue, which you dont get in concrete shoeboxes.  Let's see what it is in a couple of months.

I think the 410 refrigerant was a flop, and the r32 is a big improvement, yet requires more skill and precaution to handle.

Edited by moontang

Am I missing something...the OP is asking "the community "..if we can guess what his next electricity bill will be?

I thought he was going to show us a hugh jump in his follow up bill?

Edited by dotpoom

I get my electricity bill in Bangkok within 30 seconds of the meter reader taking the reading wirelessly from the meter which is opposite my house. His portable machine immediately prints out the bill.The same goes for the water bill.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moontang said:

one source says if it is above 50f outside, you should be below 50% humidity inside. I live in BKK, and using the ac full time is reality.  I just came back from the park and i am at 42%.  No way I would consider supplementing a computer chip controlled ac with a de-humidifier..unless it was some kind of hot room, oddball size house issue, which you dont get in concrete shoeboxes.  Let's see what it is in a couple of months.

So to put that into numbers the world understands rather than just 1 country you say that you have a source (undefined) that suggests that if the temperature is over 10C the humidity should be under 50%? This sounds like a totally spurious claim invented from whole cloth with no research or studies to back it up. Very much like the 8 glasses of water claim and the "if you run you must drink water" claim that has caused over 40 runners to die from drinking too much since it became in fashion from the 1980s while there Kaveri been no cases of runners death from dehydration.

I run a dehumidifier in my 8 meter X 12 metre workshop as it's a bit too dusty to usually run AC unless they were cleaned monthly.

I can certainly understand running AC full time in Bangkok but with a well insulated and designed house out here it isn't necessary.

On 3 April 2019 at 4:59 PM, bankruatsteve said:

When do they read your meter?  Should be on the bill.  Here the PEA reads the meter on the 18th and we get the bill around the 1st.  So, it's not always easy to relate the bill to your electric activity 3-6 weeks prior.

We get our meter read on the 26th of the month. In village, Khon Kaen. He has a machine scans the meter and his machine prints out the bill and he hands it over to us. We pay our bill with that invoice. Big house, 2 air cons used very offten, 26k btu and 18k btu lots of fans air con in bedroom on all night. Average 4,500 per month.

42 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I get my electricity bill in Bangkok within 30 seconds of the meter reader taking the reading wirelessly from the meter which is opposite my house. His portable machine immediately prints out the bill.The same goes for the water bill.

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

We get our meter read on the 26th of the month. In village, Khon Kaen. He has a machine scans the meter and his machine prints out the bill and he hands it over to us. We pay our bill with that invoice. Big house, 2 air cons used very offten, 26k btu and 18k btu lots of fans air con in bedroom on all night. Average 4,500 per month.

As we pay for 3 houses at the moment, it is easier to pay using the PEA app, it also has an interesting historical function 

new houseIMG_7172.thumb.PNG.4c997677c19749e4065df7f86d0f8415.PNG

old houseIMG_7173.thumb.PNG.dbcfa59c1cc48ac049ed162191c5bd56.PNG

mum in law

IMG_7174.thumb.PNG.a4bf8d875502a45a3d9d1a1154986f3e.PNG

• Like 1

I get my bill a few days after reading, I use double tarifs so no bill is printed after reading the meter.

They now come around 7th of the month (used to be 11th for years)

It shows up on my phone, sms and application MEA.

One week after I get the A4 sized letter with post.

The average is 1200THB.

It will be higher now for reasons;  march and april it is hotter, so the AC will be running in peak hours too.

And Thai wife parents are staying here for a time, and yaay is cooking 10 times a day on my electric plate while taa having the TV on all day.

Curious what my bill will be, surely will post it here. Along with the monthly graph FYI.

For the O post; your bill would be around 2200..  lower from the replacement and inverter but higher because it has to work harder these months.

Rgds,

On 4/3/2019 at 5:49 PM, moontang said:

How are you measuring humidity?

1 hour ago, chilidog said:

My bill used to be around 3500bht a month. The I put in a few solar panels and a grind tie-in inverter.

Now its around 150-200bht a month. Nice to not have to worry about how long you can run

your aircon.

What was the cost of solar panels and inverter?

Unless you live in a small place that’s actually not so bad it’s a lot more in the States that’s for sure.  I pay a little more than that usually it fluctuates obviously but I live in a big house but we only run one air conditioner so it’s never that bad.  

I am in the process of building a new house.  The lounge area is about 45 sqm. A neighbor suggested I install 2 AC units rather tan 1 large unit. Suggesting I use both to cool down the room ten 1 to maintain the temp.

What do you guys suggest?

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I am in the process of building a new house.  The lounge area is about 45 sqm. A neighbor suggested I install 2 AC units rather tan 1 large unit. Suggesting I use both to cool down the room ten 1 to maintain the temp.

Depends on the temp you need and how well insulated.  I keep my living space comfortable at 25° with a single 11K BTU "inverter".  

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Our living room kitchen is 65 sqm with the main ceiling at 3.7 metres and a raised area going up to 5.7. We have a single ceiling cassette unit that does a good job its a Mitsubishi inverter, I don't remember if it's a 36,000, 48,000 or 56,000 BTU unit, it is very quiet and has 4 directional fans in it.

In the past with non inverter AC units two could have been a good idea, now it isn't. 

The only point would be the design or the room that could make having two a reasonable idea, thought a much more expansive one.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, donim said:

I get my bill a few days after reading, I use double tarifs so no bill is printed after reading the meter.

They now come around 7th of the month (used to be 11th for years)

It shows up on my phone, sms and application MEA.

One week after I get the A4 sized letter with post.

The average is 1200THB.

It will be higher now for reasons;  march and april it is hotter, so the AC will be running in peak hours too.

And Thai wife parents are staying here for a time, and yaay is cooking 10 times a day on my electric plate while taa having the TV on all day.

Curious what my bill will be, surely will post it here. Along with the monthly graph FYI.

For the O post; your bill would be around 2200..  lower from the replacement and inverter but higher because it has to work harder these months.

Rgds,

Nope...1510...

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Depends on the temp you need and how well insulated.  I keep my living space comfortable at 25° with a single 11K BTU "inverter".  

11K seems small for 45sqm. What is the size of your living space and at what cost?