Exemption to O-A conversion.

I have just attempted to convert my visa exemption stay to type O for retirement extension at Samui Immigration. Charming young lady, apparently locally known as the FAT controller, told me not available there, or at Surat Thani or Bangkok. I am using an Oz passport and have 3 weeks remaining stay. Is she right?

If so, the next step seems to be Penang. Websites indicate that I need to have proof of pension, and I have Centrelink letter, but as I understand it, embassy letters are no longer required or useful. Also, I need a make-up amount but most sites say in a Thai bank, and several have refused to open an account at my current status. Will an Oz bank a/c printout suffice? 

It appears you did not qualify to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O). You need proof of 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply or proof of 65k baht income (proven by at least one transfer from abroad into a Thai bank) or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

If you are from Australia you can not longer get proof of income from your embassy since they no longer do them. The only proof immigration will accept now in your case is transfers of 65k baht into a Thai bank.

You could get a single entry non-o visa in Penang by showing the equivalent of 800k baht in a bank in Australia. You will also need proof of retirement.

All she did was look at my entry stamp. I had a swag of documents including bank statement showing AU$15000 for more than 3 months, Centrelink statement of OAP (AU$458/w), proof of regular transfers of AU$2000/m to Thai g/f's a/c, google map, Oz police report, and more - none of which were considered.

I was in the process of applying via Sydney C-G, but sent them a money order for $550 rather than $275 required due to a mistake on my part. Could they send me back the extra? NO!  Needing my passport back, I cancelled, and only found out about conversion process after arrival. I am well over 50,  have 3 weeks stay left and proof of funds in Oz.

Again, how do I show money in a thai a/c when banks refuse to open one?

Not sure why she said you could not do it unless they want more that 3 weeks to do the visa application. All offices are allowed to do the non immigrant visa now.

If you had looks closer she would seen that you did qualify for the visa application. Even the 2000 AUD going into your girlfriends account was not enough to meed the 65k baht requirement.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why she said you could not do it unless they want more that 3 weeks to do the visa application. All offices are allowed to do the non immigrant visa now.

If you had looks closer she would seen that you did qualify for the visa application. Even the 2000 AUD going into your girlfriends account was not enough to meed the 65k baht requirement.

Looks like the option is to go back tomorrow and try again, perhaps asking to see a supervisor if still no go. I understand transfers to g/f's a/c not enough, but my a/c statement shows regular pension payments and sufficient funds for the pro rata 800k. 

Is there an Immigration website that states that conversion is acceptable? Perhaps a print-out might help her comprehension.

27 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Looks like the option is to go back tomorrow and try again, perhaps asking to see a supervisor if still no go. I understand transfers to g/f's a/c not enough, but my a/c statement shows regular pension payments and sufficient funds for the pro rata 800k. 

Is there an Immigration website that states that conversion is acceptable? Perhaps a print-out might help her comprehension.

They will only accept 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply for the visa and proof it came from abroad is required.

Requirement are here on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Note they have not updated the info to show the new option for the proof of 65k baht income. 

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

May be she is overwhelmed by useless documents and simply denied the existence of such extension.

You must transfer at least 65,000 into your THAI bank account EVERY month or have money in your bank account plus and amount transferred in each month so that together they meet the combo method or deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank so that it will be there two months before and three months after your extension and then never be drawn down to less than 40,000.

Incidentally, O-A visas can only be issued in your home country.

Also, you seem to believe that money in your Aus banks can certify retirement income.  Only money in a Thai bank can do that.

2 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

You must transfer at least 65,000 into your THAI bank account EVERY month or have money in your bank account plus and amount transferred in each month so that together they meet the combo method or deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank so that it will be there two months before and three months after your extension and then never be drawn down to less than 40,000.

Also, you seem to believe that money in your Aus banks can certify retirement income.  Only money in a Thai bank can do that.

I don't HAVE and can't get a Thai bank account on a visa exemption or tourist visa. Given that, what other proof is there besides a Centrelink statement of OAP entitlement and regular deposits referenced as C/L pension payments? 

Once I have a type O there will be regular transfers and a sufficient lump sum transfer to satisfy retirement extension. It has already been established(?) that I should be able to convert to a type O if I provide proof that I meet requirements, and I have nearly all that documentation to hand.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will only accept 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply for the visa and proof it came from abroad is required.

Requirement are here on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Note they have not updated the info to show the new option for the proof of 65k baht income. 

Thanks for the link. Again it states the requirement of a THAI bank a/c, so Catch 22 applies.

I don't HAVE and can't get a Thai bank account on a visa exemption or tourist visa. Given that, what other proof is there besides a Centrelink statement of OAP entitlement and regular deposits referenced as C/L pension payments? 
Once I have a type O there will be regular transfers and a sufficient lump sum transfer to satisfy retirement extension. It has already been established(?) that I should be able to convert to a type O if I provide proof that I meet requirements, and I have nearly all that documentation to hand.
Is it very difficult to get an O-A from your home country? No need for Thai bank account or money in a Thai bank account?

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Your applying for conversion of a Visa exempt entry to a Non O (not 0-A) as a prelude to obtaining an extension of stay based on retirement. ( A permit, not a Visa).

The Non Imm O-A Visa can only be issued by a Thai Embassy Consulate in your home Country, or where you have permanent residency status.

As pointed out already the financial requirements must be obtained from a Thai bank.

It is very possible to open a Thai bank account on a Visa exempt entry provided you supply the documentation requested.

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

You should request opening a Savings account initially.

If you don't know an existing customer of BKK who can recommend you, then obtain a letter of reference from your Embassy or your Australian bank.

You'll probably require a certificate of residence from Immigration as proof of your Thai address and an Australian utility bill, or bank statement as proof of your Aus address.

Edited by Tanoshi

7 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

O-A visas can be issued in a country in which one has resident status, e.g., if one holds a visa that is a residence visa or in a country for which one holds a valid passport, which presumes residency

That's what makes a Philippines SRRV Expanded Courtesy so valuable to U.S. vets - it obviates the need to fly all the way back to the U.S.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your applying for conversion of a Visa exempt entry to a Non O (not 0-A) as a prelude to obtaining an extension of stay based on retirement. ( A permit, not a Visa).

The Non Imm O-A Visa can only be issued by a Thai Embassy Consulate in your home Country, or where you have permanent residency status.

As pointed out already the financial requirements must be obtained from a Thai bank.

It is very possible to open a Thai bank account on a Visa exempt entry provided you supply the documentation requested.

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Foreign-Customers/Bangkok-Bank-Accounts

You should request opening a Savings account initially.

If you don't know an existing customer of BKK who can recommend you, then obtain a letter of reference from your Embassy or your Australian bank.

You'll probably require a certificate of residence from Immigration as proof of your Thai address and an Australian utility bill, or bank statement as proof of your Aus address.

Many thanks. My g/f is a BKK Bank customer, and I have been using her a/c to make regular transfers. I have already been refused by the local branch, will try again with reference and a printout of their requirements.

2 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

Many thanks. My g/f is a BKK Bank customer, and I have been using her a/c to make regular transfers. I have already been refused by the local branch, will try again with reference and a printout of their requirements.

If she provides a reference for you (and attends the bank with you) that might help. Apparently buying insurance is another way around this!

Samui Immigration have been known to make up their own rules and this lady perhaps thought you were trying to extend your Visa Exempt (for a second time?). Obviously one 30 day extension is allowed. If she correctly understood you were trying to convert that entry to a Non-Imm-O, I do not know how she determined you did not qualify without looking at more documentation, unless Samui indeed do not process them, and she falsely told you Bangkok does not. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If she provides a reference for you (and attends the bank with you) that might help. Apparently buying insurance is another way around this!

Samui Immigration have been known to make up their own rules and this lady perhaps thought you were trying to extend your Visa Exempt (for a second time?). Obviously one 30 day extension is allowed. If she correctly understood you were trying to convert that entry to a Non-Imm-O, I do not know how she determined you did not qualify without looking at more documentation, unless Samui indeed do not process them, and she falsely told you Bangkok does not. 

I was in the long-term queue, so can't see how she could make that mistake. What type of insurance helps to open an a/c?

22 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

I was in the long-term queue, so can't see how she could make that mistake. What type of insurance helps to open an a/c?

Decline any Insurance offer, state you already have cover.

It is not a requirement to open an account.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, Ozman52 said:

There are reports of people buying personal accident insurance and being able to open an account.