What to do

I am planning on spending 3 months in Mexico then flying to Thailand for at least 3 months. I'm trying to figure out the best visa and how to get it. I thought about getting a SETV before I leave for Mexico but I see that the SETV has be used within 90 days. Should I just use my VOA then apply for a visa when I get to Thailand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Better to get a tourist visa to Thailand whilst in Mexico, it only takes a day or two. You get 60 days and you can extend a further 30 days whilst in Thailand. If you get it half way through your Mexico trip then you'll be fine. You don't need to get the visa on the day you arrive in Mexico.

• Like 1

Your best option is to get a SETV before leaving Mexico. It is valid for your one entry for 3 months from being issued. Even if you enter at the end of the 3 months you still get a 60 day stay that you can extend in Thailand for an extra 30 days.

If you enter without a visa under Visa Exemption (not VOA), you only get 30 days. That can be extended by another 30 days, but after that you’ll need to do a border run and re-enter for another 30 days to cover your 3 month stay.

Thanks for the advice. I thought about getting my SETV in Mexico but I'm hoping that I don't have a problem getting it in another country. I have heard where some countries make it difficult for foreigners to get visas to other countries. Does this mean I will have to go to Mexico City to get my Thai Visa. I think thats the only consulate or embassy in Mexico.

54 minutes ago, rwing93 said:

Thanks for the advice. I thought about getting my SETV in Mexico but I'm hoping that I don't have a problem getting it in another country. I have heard where some countries make it difficult for foreigners to get visas to other countries. Does this mean I will have to go to Mexico City to get my Thai Visa. I think thats the only consulate or embassy in Mexico.

The embassy is in Mexico City. Website: http://www.thailatinamerica.net/mexico/index.php

There is also a honorary consulate in Guadalajara. http://www.consuladothaigdl.org.mx/

9 hours ago, rwing93 said:

I’ve been to the Thai Consulates in Laos, Vietnam, UK, Malaysia, Bali, Cambodia ... no problems obtaining a tourist visa.

if you are worried then obtain visa in the US and spend two days less in Mexico and fly to Thailand.

I've gotten OA visas from Mexico City because I can show them my Mexican Resident Card. Without it... You can not qualify for a visa to Thailand... Because they have always asked me for my residency documents in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bournville said:

I've gotten OA visas from Mexico City because I can show them my Mexican Resident Card. Without it... You can not qualify for a visa to Thailand... Because they have always asked me for my residency documents in Mexico.

There is a very big difference between the requirements for a Non O-A visa, and the requirements for a single entry tourist visa. A Non O-A visa can usually only be applied for in your passport country. A US citizen should have no trouble getting a Thai tourist visa in Mexico.