Thai attitudes to very poor people

dick dasterdly

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Maybe they couldnt fix the bike or didnt think that they could get it started and so didnt try and it had nothing to do with the mans lack of wealth ?

They didn't even bother to try - until I pretty much 'forced' my local 'bike man to come to my house to fix the problem ☹️.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Absolute nonsense as regards Thais as a people.

Both empathy and charity are well understood and I do not find the percent of Thai people who practice them to be much different than people anywhere.

What you say may be true of the particular Thais you are dealing with but it is hardly true of Thais as a people.

They run the full gamut of types and characters. Selfish, selfless. Cruel, compassionate. etc

There may also be other issues at play, e.g. your motives may for some reason be being misconstrued or your actions not make sense to people as cosntituting charitable assistance.

As for the OP's story, I think most likely people either did not understand his plan to have the man make use of his samlor or may have felt it was clearly not going to work (and they could have been right on that score...not at all clear the man had any inclination or ability to make a go of being a samlor driver). Thais understand charity well enough, but development-type schemes less well...and sometimes the ones foreigners hatch aren't realistic to the situation or person for reasons they don't see buy that Thais easily can.

"There may also be other issues at play, e.g. your motives may for some reason be being misconstrued or your actions not make sense to people as cosntituting charitable assistance."

Agree almost entirely with this part of your post.

The 'poor guy' undoubtedly initially thought I was a loonie!  But my 'bike repair guy' understood, even though he clearly found it incomprehensible.

My Thai neighbours also understood, and rushed in to help when I had problems,, but had no interest in helping the guy to whom I was giving my old samlor ☹️.

Edit - Everyone to their own, but I find this depressing.☹️

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Although to be fair, most of my friends also thought I was mad looking to give my old, unwanted samlor to a poor person, rather than selling it ☹️.

Are you looking for a bit of recognition , a "well done" and a pat on the back, for your kind selfless deed ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you looking for a bit of recognition , a "well done" and a pat on the back, for your kind selfless deed ? 

Hardly, I was very happy to finally find a poor person that would appreciate my old samlor.

I wouldn't have posted if the locals hadn't made it clear that they didn't care about the poor guy being given my samlor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

What the hell are you going on about?!

I'm talking about giving away a samlor to a poor person who was thrilled to receive the gift!

I paid for 'my' local repair man to come out and get the samlor started.  Hopefully he also explained that it needs to be started every couple of days, or it's a nightmare to start.

But I doubt it, as he (like my neighbours) had no time at all for such a poor person ☹️.

Yes, you have to pay for things to be fixed from a professional mechanic , you cannot expect a non mechanic to know what was wrong , why it wouldnt start and then be able to repair it  .

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, you have to pay for things to be fixed from a professional mechanic , you cannot expect a non mechanic to know what was wrong , why it wouldnt start and then be able to repair it  .

Don't ask me as I've no idea!

I bought a far better samlor with 'ignition' (?) start, and wanted my old samlor to go to a poor person.

edit - Is that hard to understand?

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

bought a 'new' (i.e. second hand, but better than the original) samlor a week or so ago, and was looking for a very poor Thai person to give my old samlor.

To cut a long story, short - I saw an old Thai guy who was obviously very poor today, and so told him he could have my old samlor.

The reason I got rid of the old one is that it had to be used every couple of days, or it was very difficult to start.  As it hadn't been used for more than a week, it was obviously going to be incredibly difficult to start, so I asked a few Thais to help him.

They had zero interest in helping this very poor guy ☹️, and I had to ask the 'bike repair shop (for the second time) to come to my house to sort out the problem....

This incident has left a very bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Thais' attitude to the very poor amongst them.

Exactly- has been my experience also- only gotten worse over the last 10-15 years- prior to that it wasn't as blatant or un Buddhist 

2 minutes ago, isaanjohnno said:

Exactly- has been my experience also- only gotten worse over the last 10-15 years- prior to that it wasn't as blatant or un Buddhist 

I've only been here 12 years or so, and have had little to do with the genuinely poor.

Which is why it came as such a suprise to see the reaction of Thais to the genuinely poor ☹️.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I quite understand that .

You have stated that you gave your old samlor to a poor person numerous times already .

I really do think that you are just looking for some praise about your heroic deed , you made the World a better place , it would be even better if more people were like you .

CONGRATULATIONS and I shall remember your kind act when it comes to voting for poster of the year 

I'm very sorry that you feel that way about me ☹️.

Some of us care. the locals - not so much......

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

It is very possible that this individual has a bad reputation in the community and people have good reason for not wanting to deal with him.  Your Thai would have to be very good and your knowledge of who’s who in the community extensive, to be able to make a judgment about their motivations.

Being too quick to judge with insufficient data often leads to bad judgments and incorrect assumptions.   Your story and assumptions leave me with many more questions than answers.

You're desperately looking for excuses.

Edited by dick dasterdly

12 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

It is very possible that this individual has a bad reputation in the community and people have good reason for not wanting to deal with him.  Your Thai would have to be very good and your knowledge of who’s who in the community extensive, to be able to make a judgment about their motivations.

Being too quick to judge with insufficient data often leads to bad judgments and incorrect assumptions.   Your story and assumptions leave me with many more questions than answers.

Maybe they felt it reflected badly on the OP giving away such a rusty old samlor, and were embarrassed on his behalf.

Maybe now one of them is having to help the old fella get the samlor to the scrap dealer.

Who knows?

Maybe I could ask my wife.  Maybe the OP could do the same.  His wife, not mine.

I reckon Thais must be reasonably generous to very poor people, since there seems to be money to be made from begging and selling stuff at traffic light intersections.

SC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're desperately looking for excuses.

I'm not trying to be argumentative (I know I know), but from what I have read that poster is no more looking for excuses as you are looking for confirmation of your bias. A bias which is based on a very small sample set. The village dude is using universal understanding of basic human nature.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Absolute nonsense as regards Thais as a people.

Both empathy and charity are well understood and I do not find the percent of Thai people who practice them to be much different than people anywhere.

What you say may be true of the particular Thais you are dealing with but it is hardly true of Thais as a people.

They run the full gamut of types and characters. Selfish, selfless. Cruel, compassionate. etc

There may also be other issues at play, e.g. your motives may for some reason be being misconstrued or your actions not make sense to people as cosntituting charitable assistance.

As for the OP's story, I think most likely people either did not understand his plan to have the man make use of his samlor or may have felt it was clearly not going to work (and they could have been right on that score...not at all clear the man had any inclination or ability to make a go of being a samlor driver). Thais understand charity well enough, but development-type schemes less well...and sometimes the ones foreigners hatch aren't realistic to the situation or person for reasons they don't see buy that Thais easily can.

Absolutely !!!

In the West you see people walking on the street and give a wide berth to those begging, or buskers. No one has a clue what those people have gone thru, or are going thru now. As the song says ...

• Like 1