ไม่ได้เรื่อง And เฮงซวย

taxexile

i understand that these expressions are used to express surprise or displeasure when something does not meet with ones approval .

could someone expand on the usage of these terms , and whether there is any impoliteness in them.

เฮงซวย is defined in the dictionary as 'bad luck" , but i know that it can have a much stronger meaning.

thanks.

Edited by taxexile

Hi...

The word เฮงซวย is like an adj. in English language. It is a very rude word. You can use this adj to a person or thing. It does not mean "bad luck" at all. Just only the word "ซวย" means "bad luck" but เฮงซวย means something like "low in quality". For example, if you say something is เฮงซวย, it means that this thing is not good, mostly refer to the quality of this thing. I think it means more or less like, "it is suck" in English. You can use this word for a person as well. If you say someone is เฮงซวย, it means that that person is suck or that person is a worthless person. The meaning of ไม่ได้เรื่อง is the same as เฮงซวย but it is more polite. You can say that something is ไม่ได้เรื่อง or someone is ไม่ได้เรื่อง. I hope it helps you understand it more clearly.

The meaning of ไม่ได้เรื่อง is the same as เฮงซวย but it is more polite. You can say that something is ไม่ได้เรื่อง or someone is ไม่ได้เรื่อง. I hope it helps you understand it more clearly.

Hi,

I always thought the meaning of ไม่ได้เรื่อง was something like "he doesn't have a clue", or "he is dumb".

But after reading your post i'm thinking its more like "he has a bad attitude".

Is this the correct interpretation of the word ?

By the way, in english we normally say "He sucks!" not "he is suck". :o Just letting you know

I always thought the meaning of ไม่ได้เรื่อง was something like "he doesn't have a clue", or "he is dumb".

ไม่รู้เรื่อง has that meaning , but possibly without the negativity implied in "he is dumb", i.e. he / she doesnt know ( about that which is being discussed)

The meaning of ไม่ได้เรื่อง is the same as เฮงซวย but it is more polite. You can say that something is ไม่ได้เรื่อง or someone is ไม่ได้เรื่อง. I hope it helps you understand it more clearly.

Hi,

But after reading your post i'm thinking its more like "he has a bad attitude".

Is this the correct interpretation of the word ?

By the way, in english we normally say "He sucks!" not "he is suck". :o Just letting you know

ไม่ได้เรื่อง: perhaps useless/hopeless is a reasonable equivalent. can be applied to a person or a thing.

all the best.

A while back I was in a meeting with 3 other Thai people. I was the only farang, and the meeting was conducted in Thai. We were reviewing the work of a freelance agent. On the discussion of her work quality...

Me: ผลงานเขาเป็นไงละ ดีไหม

Colleague: จิริง ๆ แล้ว (dramatic pause) ไม่ได้เรื่องเลย

Essentially, my colleague had told me the quality of our freelancer's work was 'worthless.' Ouch!

I hope this helps a little.

I came up with another word which means เฮงซวย or ไม่ได้เรื่อง. It is "ห่วย" or "ห่วยแตก". They are not polite words though. For the example that Red Lotus gave us, we can say "จริงๆแล้ว งานของเค้าห่วยมาก" you can say something is ห่วย which means the same as something is ไม่ได้เรื่อง ห่วยแตก means a little higher in the degree of bad quality.

<br />ไม่ได้เรื่อง = has no substance, not worthwhile<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thank you Gravor for correcting my mistake. :D I really appreciate it.

hehe. no worries. :o

Edited by Grover