Washing machine filter

hackjam

On the water inlet supply line to my washing machine is this glass filter, which has small balls inside. This has to be cleaned every 3 or 4 months, as it discolors, gets green and slimy.  

Anyone know what these balls are and where I can get new ones, as I have lost a few over the years? Or better still, where I can get a complete glass unit?

Also, a mate was telling me that I should cover the glass, to keep it dark, will help prevent the build up???

thumbnail_IMG_6212[1].jpg

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Take it off and throw it in the trash... There should be a small inline gauze filter where the hose connects to the machine, just underneath your glass thing...

Explain why this filter should be thrown in the trash.

I've not seen these on sale for many years (they were in Malaysia IIRC).

Any active ingredient in the balls is long exhausted (if there ever was one), the green is simply algae growing on the balls.

If there's a mesh filter in the top half and it's collecting gunk then just keep cleaning it out, it's doing no harm.

I have never seen one of these but I am assuming its an attempt to create some kind of a biological type filter, possibly for water softening? I would agree with the majority of people here. Throw it away. Use the mesh. If you are really serious about additional filtration then an inline UV filter might do the trick. 

• 2 weeks later...

The one I had several years ago looked just like that.  It came with a Samsung washer, and I got new ones at the Samsung service center in Pattaya.  I just brought in the old one and they knew what it was.  Can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much.

Oh, mine was plastic, not glass.

Archived