Can you live as foreigner in Thailand without a current-living adress?

18 hours ago, AdamTH said:

You know I'm stressing. I'm 14 and my dad is 63. He is sick! We both foreigners have to survive...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

what visa are you on?
how are you paying to live in Thailand?

Just rent a house and register your address with the immigration,  TM 30

or check into a GH's but ask if they register their guests

its not rocket science

In case he doesn't know the rule, tell him to bring his house book and ID card.  Offer him 500 or 1000 baht and I bet he'll change his mind.

why offer him money?, tell him if he Doesn't do it, he can be fined. 

If Landlord does not want to give the you signed copy id card and taam bien baan, (PLUS) some immigration ( phuket) require a POA form so u can do it yourself, other not needed....he/she can go to immigration with you.

BUT its LAW< he MUST register you or he/she can be fined

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:04 PM, MeePeeMai said:

If the landlord is willing to go to Immigration with the renter (and bring his housebook and ID card) then there shouldn't be a problem.

My landlord doesn't live near me and works everyday so he is unavailable for Immigration runs... therefore, he just gave me a copy of everything Immigration asked for so that I could take care of it without his presence being required.

Not a problem really, a copy of an ID card and a copy of his housebook can be asked for by the renter (so that the renter knows that this person is indeed the owner and real landlord) same as the landlord can ask for a copy of the renter's (foreigner's) passport and and driving license (so he knows who is living in his house).  

This is the wise thing to do to avoid being scammed by someone posing as a house owner (who is not) and also protects the landlord from a renter skipping out and not paying or trashing the house and doing a runner.  ID for ID reduces the liability on both sides.

Common sense really eh!?

You are spot on ! I rent & don't have a contract, just a hand shake. Landlord provides a copy of his ID card & blue book, signed. Immigration are quite happy with this as proof of my residence.

17 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Do we gather that you don’t actually live at this address ? It’s just some arrangement?

like every where in the civilised world you need a legal permanent address- here it links into so many agencies.

Depending on where you live in Thailand, not necessarily........

If you do your 90 day reports online you could use an old address and nobody would know. CW don’t ask for a current lease contract when renewing a visa extension, my contract finished years ago and CW have never asked to look at it. Other offices are fussier though.

Don’t forget there are hundreds of thousands of Thais living and working in Bangkok that are officially registered as living back in their home town, even if they only go back there for a few days at Songkran.

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

You are spot on ! I rent & don't have a contract, just a hand shake. Landlord provides a copy of his ID card & blue book, signed. Immigration are quite happy with this as proof of my residence.

This varies by office.  Others also want the house-book and chanote of the residence plus the rental-contract.  A few even insist on the landlord coming in-person or providing a power-of-atty.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

If you do your 90 day reports online you could use an old address and nobody would know. CW don’t ask for a current lease contract when renewing a visa extension, my contract finished years ago and CW have never asked to look at it. Other offices are fussier though.

Some also do home-visits - even for retirees.  So far, no reports of home-visits for agent-submitted applications though - so there is that way out.

Understanding legal concepts and government is alot like studying Black Magic. 

Don't confuse Residential Address with where you sleep.  You don't register with the authorities every time you go on holiday.  The government wants an address from where they can reasonably start to track you down if they need to find you (if you are an accused criminal, or next-of-kin to a deceased lottery winner, etc.)  Nothing worth getting too excited.