175g green cabbage, shredded

25g butter

1 large onion, sliced

1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)

500g Mashed & Creamed Potato

2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for shaping

2 large free range eggs

Instructions

· Cook the cabbage in boiling water for 3 minutes or until just tender. Drain thoroughly.

· Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion has oftened (do not cook too hot, you just want very slight colour on them) DO NOT DICARD RESIDUE IN THE FRYING PAN AS IT IS NEEDED FOR FRYING.

· Place the cabbage, onion mixture, flour, and mashed potato in a large bowl, mix everything together. Season to taste. Using floured hands, divide the mixture into 4 and shape into disk shaped rounds.

· Reheat the frying pan over a medium heat then add the potato cakes. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the underside is golden brown and crisp, then turn over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, adding a little oil to the butter if needed.

Serve with poached eggs and hot buttered toast.

post-11711-1173095457.jpg post-11711-1173095483.gif

Jet, I think it depends on the veg you are considering. As someone else said, it is traditionally eaten on a Monday using the left overs from sunday lunch. IMHO, this should just be cabbage and carrots and pots, if you are a bit middle class you would maybe have had brocolli but nothing too fancy. And leave off the egg. They are the work of the devil! :o

Decades ago I had a conversation with some Englanders

from the East End of London on this subject.

Leisurely is correct about leftovers , although for the true

fundamentalist this included scrapings off the plates.

It did include a meat element (lamb or beef).

Plus cabbage and potatoes (but not creamed!).

Fried in a pan.

Carrots ? maybe. Brocolli ?? Coleslaw ??????

I can just see you all , in your cloth caps and Burberrys

in a pub on the Mile End road on safari amongst the natives.

:o

Fried in a pan.

So then how do you make the cakes then? Boy, the Brits always complicate things. :D

Decades ago I had a conversation with some Englanders

from the East End of London on this subject.

Leisurely is correct about leftovers , although for the true

fundamentalist this included scrapings off the plates.

It did include a meat element (lamb or beef).

Fried in a pan.

Bubble & squeak isn't confined to the soft wusses darn sarf. Real Englishmen (those who live north of Watford Gap) eat it too :D

ye can make bubble an' squeak from just about anything...many years ago when still livin' in CA an' before I knew that it was called bubble an' squeak wid de my then pardner we would take leftover chicken an' veg stir fry from a Friday night and after vigorous sex on Saturday mornin' scramble sum eggs and empty the contents ob de wok into de mixture...eat it wid La Victoria salsa ranchera an' fresh corn tortillas...

later in the UK an' havin' becomed familiar widde customary Sunday lunch I looked at de leftovers an did de same (but no salsa an' no tortillas :o )...de then wife said whaddaya doin'? I said dis here is an integral part ob california nouvelle cuisine...she yawned an' said looks like bubble an' squeak to me...

For real bubble and squeak, you should use the left over roast potatoes (as if) and smash them up a bit I seriously doubt that anyone ever had mash on a sunday. Beef dripping is a delicious fat to cook them in and it has the added benefit of putting a coat around your arteries to keep you warm.

I got a bit glum after reading about the East End of London. I spent many a happy sunday in the Greyhound in Bethnal Green. Happy day, roast pots on the bar.......

well after the sex and beers, how do you get the stuff to mash up in cakes like in Cheek's pic?

cakes? who said anything about cakes? I submit that CF's recipie represents 'classic' ie., haute cuisine bubble an' squeak...tutsi is a man ob de people, plus, I don't like poached eggs... :o

nah...traditional bubble an' squeak is a leftover veg and scrambled egg mishmash, the quality ob which depending on the preparation ob de left over veges. In CA we always did the stir fry wid loads ob garlic an' spices so that de mishmash later on was always tasty. In the UK the left over vegs were always steamed an' required the addition of a quick saute wid sum garlic, fresh ground pepper an' a liddle salt, had to slice up de sprouts, etc...

never had no left over roast tots around, they were the best part of Sunday lunch an' were always finished off...

nah...just scramble sum eggs an' toss inna pan fer a few seconds then throw in yer leftovers an' roll around until the eggs are cooked. Serve wid tortillas an' salsa when available or on toast when not

I think 'bubble an' squeak' is a generic UK term fer usin' leftovers... :o

No no no Tutsi, you are wrong. It is not a generic term for left overs. It is an institution. As for the shape, those patties are just wrong IMHO, it should look a bit rough and well browned in areas, not round shaped as if it had been cooked in a ring.

:D:o Endure, ah, what can I say, you are a MOD. Txs for the laugh.

Eeeeh, lass! Would tha like to see my whippet? :D:D

Real Geordies have lurchers as well.

Geordie? You impertinent baggage! I's a north Derbyshire lad! :D

nah...traditional bubble an' squeak is a leftover veg and scrambled egg mishmash, the quality ob which depending on the preparation ob de left over veges. In CA we always did the stir fry wid loads ob garlic an' spices so that de mishmash later on was always tasty. In the UK the left over vegs were always steamed an' required the addition of a quick saute wid sum garlic, fresh ground pepper an' a liddle salt, had to slice up de sprouts, etc...

never had no left over roast tots around, they were the best part of Sunday lunch an' were always finished off...

Don't make me larf. My mum was serving me bubble and squeak as a 10 year old in England in 1959. Garlic and fresh ground pepper were as common as Beluga and Krug. English Bubble and Squeak does not contain eggs.

I am strangely drawn to keep returning to this topic. Well said Endure, eggs? garlic? never. :o

??? my ex-wife was then obviously misleading me (one of her usual activities), I thought that eggs were the main ingredient after the leftovers...oh, well...the ex is irish raised in Glasge so she ain't got yer 'english sensibilities'...

what is it about middle england an' garlic?...I worked in Derby an' whenever the subject of garlic came up my work mates were all :D:D:D ...in California ye don't cook nuttin' without a whole head ob garlic...there was a film: Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers by the NoCal film maker Les Blank, a big west coast hit