Cannot Purchase 2.4G Anymore!

MellowYellow101

I've lived in LOS for a while now. I had been using 3bb as the internet provider to my house, but a few months ago they arranged an upgrade to my router. I in fact had 'no choice' in the matter as they said they are only using fiberoptic cables and 5G routers. So now I am stuck with a 5G router, that has 2.4G too, but you cannot witch off the 5G service. 5G has not been studied enough, and places such as Brussels have banned the use of it due to the radiation involved. It is NOT the same as 2.4G, and I do not want a 5G router in my house. 

I've tried contacting other internet providers, and they all say a similar thing, they are only supplying 5G routers. However TOT said they can set up 2.4G but it will cost me upwards of 10k baht for one installation! I also have no idea why Thailand is the first on the scene to supply 5G, back home in the West it is pretty unheard of, or at least where my family live. 
Any advice on how I can get rid of my 5G router, and install 2.4G again with little cost? 

You worry too much and should Google more. From PCMag:
"The 5G that all of the wireless carriers are installing is the fifth generation of cell phone networks. If you're talking about Wi-Fi, "5G(Hz)" refers to a frequency band: five gigahertz. If you're talking about cellular, the "G" stands for "generation." They're completely different terms."

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

@MellowYellow101: Normally, you can switch off the 5GHz frequency in the settings of your router. If you do not know the Admin password, you can google your router information and will get find the standard settings that almost any router of the same type uses. I attach a pic from my router where you see that I could switch off the 5GHz frequency.

BUT: As i wrote above, the 5G that "Brussels" discusses about is the 5th generation cellular network that is currently widely discussed in various countries, not only about the possible health effects due to high radio frequency output, but also due to Huawei being the leading (chinese) provider of hardware which should not really be trusted too much. 

Sidenote: If you find your router credentials and have switched off 5GHz, then it makes sense to at the same time change the password for the admin credentials

frequency mgmt.PNG

As has already been stated 5G on a WiFi router just means 5Ghz frequency at very low power. The 5G cellular network which is quite different will be operating on frequencies from 26 - 60 GHz with much higher power. Whilst I am completely unconcerned about the radiation from my 5 Ghz router, I am however concerned about the proliferation of many high-powered 5G cellular antennas.

As has already been stated 5G on a WiFi router just means 5Ghz frequency at very low power. The 5G cellular network which is quite different will be operating on frequencies from 26 - 60 GHz with much higher power. Whilst I am completely unconcerned about the radiation from my 5 Ghz router, I am however concerned about the proliferation of many high-powered 5G cellular antennas.

... which in Thailand does not bother the government at all, as selling frequencies is the way to get rich and later even richer when you buy 5g Hardware from the Chinese...

... which in Thailand does not bother the government at all, as selling frequencies is the way to get rich and later even richer when you buy 5g Hardware from the Chinese...

Well don't worry because it's not going to bother Western governments either. Several reports into safety have been ignored even by a congressional enquiry in the US interested only in profit. The only country in Europe I've heard about that has been cautious about the development of 5G is Belgium.

At least in BKK, 3BB is still providing customers with regular 2.4 GHz routers.... even for fiber connections. They just gave us a new one lately when our old one conked out.

We could have had a dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz model router from them, but it didn't work with the VPN service and separate 5 GHz AC router we use, so we decided to stick with the straight 2.4 GHz prior model.

If we had gone with the dual band model, it certainly allows you to turn on or off either of the wifi bands, provided you get the admin ID and password needed to log into the router's firmware control panel.

All 2.4GHz lovers should remember that this frequency is the very same as that used by microwave ovens.

Your 2.4GHz router is microwaving your brain!!

Of course, your router is producing around 0.1% of the power in your microwave. 

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

All 2.4GHz lovers should remember that this frequency is the very same as that used by microwave ovens.

Your 2.4GHz router is microwaving your brain!!

Of course, your router is producing around 0.1% of the power in your microwave. 

And therein lies part of the advantage of 5 GHz wifi...  Although it has a lesser penetration capacity, it operates on a bandwidth that for now at least is much less congested than the 2.4 GHz band with all its wifi routers, microwaves, cordless phones, etc etc.  And of course, the AC class wifi that's capable on 5 GHz wifi is capable of faster speeds than the 2.4 GHz N class wifi.

As others have said 5G cell service and 5Ghz Wifi are two completely different animals.  Night and day different.   5G does "not" mean 5Ghz operating frequency.   

And I haven't seen any Wifi router yet where you can not turn off the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands....or turn both off--no Wifi at all.   

Then I still wonder with all the frequencies going thru out bodies right now from cell phone towers, radars, satellite TV/communications, AM/FM radio,  2.4Ghz/5Ghz Wifi, solar radiation frequencies, etc...etc....etc....why people are so worried about the various/numerous frequencies 5G will operate on but are not worried in the least about the array of other frequencies transitioning their bodies as they read this.

Would like to know the best internet service provider in Krabi, fiber optic 100/50 heard 3BB and AIS have some promotions going, appreciate the input, need to change service early May 

From your browser log into your WiFi router (consult your WiFi routers manual for how to do this)... Usually from a browser type in 192.168.0.1 to get a login screen and type in the user name and password from you owners manual... Ex: Admin - Admin)

Once in look for the WiFi setup.. specifically the channel being used it may be set to roam or a specific channel is set... change it to 1, 6 or 11 which are 2.4mhz only... there may also be a setup setting there to turn off 5mhz completely... then hit the save button and your router will reboot with the new settings...

82B5E166-7393-4E8E-9237-A45EB6E5914B.jpeg

Archived