Noninvasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) options

leddie

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What type of prenatal testing do you mean i.e. testing for what exactly?

It is basically a blood test that checks for detectable chromosomal markers in fetus, possibly leading to Down's syndrome and others.

https://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.au/non-invasive-prenatal-testing-nipt

Some consider it a safer alternative to invasive techniques such as CVS/amniocentesis.

Edited by leddie

Yes, I know that. The reason I asked was to find out iof you were concerned about genetic abnormalities or wanting a DNA test for paternity as that is often what people on this forum are looking for.

if you are wanting screening for Downs etc, Samitivej Hospital can do it. So can Chulalongkorn but being a government hospital they probably limit who can access it to high risk women.

it will be very expensive e.g. at least 40k

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, I know that. The reason I asked was to find out iof you were concerned about genetic abnormalities or wanting a DNA test for paternity as that is often what people on this forum are looking for.

if you are wanting screening for Downs etc, Samitivej Hospital can do it. So can Chulalongkorn but being a government hospital they probably limit who can access it to high risk women.

Ok thanks.  This is for chromosomal screening, not paternity.

I was wondering if there are any cheaper options, as I came across this article from newspaper a few years back showing they do it at Ramathibodi

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-prenatal-test-helps-find-Downs-Syndrome-30248735.html

THAI NON-INVASIVE Prenatal Test (Thai NIPT), the latest project at Bangkok's Ramathibodi Hospital to help check Down's Syndrome in the foetus, will reduce miscarriage rate and provide a 99-per-cent result within a week with the same accuracy as an amnioce

The mothballed  TV thread said it was around 15000 thb,

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/868152-nipt/)

Unfortunately, none of the hospitals show prices or even NIPT, so trying to find info is hard.  I did find this, but it is in Thai

https://med.mahidol.ac.th/patient_care/th/news/announcement/23032015-1558-th

image.thumb.png.204d67e1b338b11495dd4795906c91e7.png

There was a trial a few years back at many government hospitals to see how acceptable and effective it would be. That is already finished and results publushed. I think the larger government hospitals will have it now but nay lumit it to high risk women.

You can't just go and ask for the test. Would have to see a doctor for antenatal care and ask the doctor to order it.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, Sheryl said:

There was a trial a few years back at many government hospitals to see how acceptable and effective it would be. That is already finished and results publushed. I think the larger government hospitals will have it now but nay lumit it to high risk women.

You can't just go and ask for the test. Would have to see a doctor for antenatal care and ask the doctor to order it.

So if I understand, you do not have any additional information to that which I showed you.  Obviously this is not paternity related, and  I provided information which shows a hospital promotion.

Edited by leddie

On 4/22/2019 at 3:08 PM, Sheryl said:

We did NIPT at Chula 2016. Cost was 15 000Baht. It wasn't any high risk pregnancy. Very nice and friendly staff, got the lab report and a letter from the doctor after about a month.

Google found this posted Feb 8 this year on Pantip:

การตรวจ NIFTY มีให้บริการที่โรงพยาบาลจุฬาลงกรณ์ ตึกภูมิสิริ โซน C ชั้น 9 วันจันทร์-ศุกร์ เวลา 08:00-11.30น .........ราคาตอนนี้จะอยู่ที่ 15,900 บาท

Translates: NIFTY test is done at Chula hospital, Pumisiri building, zone C, 9th floor, Monday to Friday 8-11.30am.....price 15 900 B.

https://pantip.com/topic/37567761

Now, i don't know if you can trust this, why not call and ask?

I've yet to hear of anyone getting anywhere calling Chula (rings and rings with no answer) but Feb 8 is recent enough I think it would be worth just showing up at that location during those times. Worst case is you waste the trip. That price is about 1/4 what a private hospital is likely to charge.