How to transfer land and home if you're both Thai and US citizenship?

Hi,

I'm interested to build a new home in Thailand on the land where my parents gave to me. Land is in my name. I'm a Thai citizenship (native). I live in US and here I'm also a US citizenship by naturalization. I have a young son 5.5 years old. He is US citizenship. my husband is US citizenship. after I build a new home in Thailand, how could I make sure just in case something happened to me and my assets in Thailand (land and new home) will be transferred to my son? 

Current I live in US most of the time and plan to stay here. Visit Thailand 1-2 times a year.

I didn't have chance to research yet. Anyone has similar experience to share ?

Thank you very much.

AJ.

My wife is both a Thai and a US citizen. I'm only a US citizen. We live in the US full-time visiting Thailand every other year or so. We have 3 children - a boy (18) and two girls (16 and 13). My wife has a few properties in Thailand including a townhouse and a land plot of 2.5 rai.

To ensure that our children can inherit my wife's property we have registered our daughters into a house book in Thailand so that they now have both a Thai ID card and a Thai passport. My son used to have a Thai passport but because my wife doesn't want to have him register for the military draft for Thailand, after his second Thai passport expired we didn't pursue registering him into a house book and getting him a Thai ID card which is the only way we could get his Thai passport renewed.

In order to get the Thai passports in the first place, we had to obtain Thai birth certificates for each of our children. All 3 were born in the US. Since this process requires surrendering the US birth certificate we obtained duplicate US birth certificates. Thus each child has both US and Thai birth certificates. At some point in the near future perhaps after our son turns 30 we will apply for a Thai ID card so that he can also inherit my wife's property in the future.

Once your son has dual citizenship he would then be eligible to inherit your property in Thailand assuming you write a will specifically identifying him as the sole heir to the property. Without a will the property would likely be split between him and other Thai family members such as your parents, brothers, sisters, etc. I'm no expert on the laws regarding wills in Thailand so I will let others on here address the details of setting up a will in Thailand.

Archived