Return Ticket Needed?

I had an earlier topic (which I got great help from members of the Thaivisa community)

I have another question that I really need help with: I came back home (Hawaii, USA) which I do annually to renew my non immigrant "O" visa which I send my application and passport to LA. My request to renew my non immigrant "O" visa was sent back to me (arrived yesterday) which they notified me earlier that they couldn't issue me a non immigrant "O". 

I'm sure I will need to have a return ticket home (Hawaii, USA) for me to enter Thailand upon my return to Thailand this Friday if I try to get a tourist visa on arrival, would anyone know if I will still need a return ticket in Thailand if I try to get a single entry visa from the Thai consulate here in Honolulu.

(My plan is to go to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane shortly after returning to Thailand to apply for a visa.)

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

if travelling without a visa the airline may deny boarding unless you have a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days od arrival, does not have to be to your home country

edit no flight out required with a visa

Edited by steve187

A ticket out of the country is required within 30 days of arrival when entering to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Immigration seldom ask to see the ticket but the airline may ask for one in order to check in for you flight.

You could get a low cost one way ticket to any nearby country from any airport here to meet the requirement. You can also use one to apply for a single entry tourist visa at the consulate.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a low cost one way ticket to any nearby country from any airport here to meet the requirement. 

It's a great opportunity to see Malaysia for dirt-cheap on AirAsia, my first "burner" ticket I ended up using and loved it. Cheaper to fly to Kuala Lumpur than to extend for 30 days in Thailand.

And zero cost for 90 days no visa needed open-arms scene in Malaysia...

But I no longer see the point in buying burners merely to prove onward travel, with Expedia offering 24 hour free cancellation on many flights, why spend any more than you have to?

Edited by Happystance
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

if travelling without a visa the airline may deny boarding unless you have a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days od arrival, does not have to be to your home country

Thanks for your response. I'll try to contact the Thai consulate here in Honolulu tomorrow for a visa prior to flying back to Thailand.

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

To the OP, what was reason for denial if it’s ok to ask?

I wrote the address of the school I would be teaching at in Thailand. I didnt know employment was prohibited in Thailand with a non immigrant "O". I've been including the schools address I teach at in Thailand for 9 years now on the visa application and have never been questioned about it. No officers in the immigration office when reporting at the immigration office when I arrive in Thailand ever said anything either. I don't recall ever seeing any mention on the Thai Embassy site for the non immigrant "O" visa being prohibited from employment only tourist visas and retirement visas. When the Thai consulate told me I cant work in Thailand with a non immigrant "O" visa, it totally caught me off guard.

At least the Thai consulate sent back the money order with all my paperwork...

9 minutes ago, joninisaan said:

I wrote the address of the school I would be teaching at in Thailand. I didnt know employment was prohibited in Thailand with a non immigrant "O".

It depends upon what basis the non-o visa is issued upon. For one based upon marriage to a Thai or being the parent of one it is allowed to get a work permit and work with one.

Best to not put any more info on a visa application form than is absolutely required.

If you have your supporting documents to get one you can get a single entry non-o visa instead of a tourist visa at the honorary consulate.

6 hours ago, joninisaan said:

I wrote the address of the school I would be teaching at in Thailand. I didnt know employment was prohibited in Thailand with a non immigrant "O". I've been including the schools address I teach at in Thailand for 9 years now on the visa application and have never been questioned about it. No officers in the immigration office when reporting at the immigration office when I arrive in Thailand ever said anything either. I don't recall ever seeing any mention on the Thai Embassy site for the non immigrant "O" visa being prohibited from employment only tourist visas and retirement visas. When the Thai consulate told me I cant work in Thailand with a non immigrant "O" visa, it totally caught me off guard.

At least the Thai consulate sent back the money order with all my paperwork...

On my non-O it clearly states that employment is prohibited. Have a look.

27 minutes ago, Letseng said:

On my non-O it clearly states that employment is prohibited. Have a look.

Upon what basis was it issued for?

For marriage or being the parent of a Thai that would be an error since you are allowed to get a work permit and work with it.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon what basis the non-o visa is issued upon. For one based upon marriage to a Thai or being the parent of one it is allowed to get a work permit and work with one.

Best to not put any more info on a visa application form than is absolutely required.

If you have your supporting documents to get one you can get a single entry non-o visa instead of a tourist visa at the honorary consulate.

I've been on a non immigrant "o" and teaching in Thailand for almost 9 years now. A friend of ours in Thailand asked their friend who works in the consulate office said that as of March 31st of this year, the Thai government made a lot of things stricter. I'm not sure of this myself but from what happened to me with my non "o" denial, it makes sense.

1 hour ago, bigginhill said:

Someone on another thread posted this site

https://onwardticket.com

You buy a true reservation for 48hrs, for 12dollars. You do not pay for the flight, and the reservation cancels itself after 48hrs. 

I haven,t used it but I,ve saved the site for emergencies

Thanks, I think I heard of this but I think it says you need to show an eticket or a copy of a paper ticket. They wont accept just a reservation.

3 hours ago, davidst01 said:

download a free pdf to word app. open up an old pdf ticket and convert it. create a new ticket of your own using legit flight numbers and times etc. Print it. problem solved. done this many times

Woaw!!! This sounds like something straight out of a Jason Bourne movie! Thanks for the idea though.

6 hours ago, davidst01 said:

download a free pdf to word app. open up an old pdf ticket and convert it. create a new ticket of your own using legit flight numbers and times etc. Print it. problem solved. done this many times

Actually, occasionally things do get screw#d during the conversion (some fonts, headers etc). With Adobe Acrobat, one can edit directly into the pdf. Then it comes up very "original".

Edited by lkv

10 hours ago, davidst01 said:

So, your advice is to commit premeditated fraud at an international border? That's one of the dumbest, unnecessary risks I've heard of.

Pa-thetic. 

8 hours ago, bigginhill said:

Someone on another thread posted this site

https://onwardticket.com

You buy a true reservation for 48hrs, for 12dollars. You do not pay for the flight, and the reservation cancels itself after 48hrs. 

Sure, you can pay someone else to buy you a refundable ticket.

Or you can buy it one for free yourself and have complete control over the process.

Have you considered that buying a ticket from a third party with zero intent of using it is unlawful and damn easy to prove given the digital trail?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happystance said:

So, your advice is to commit premeditated fraud at an international border? That's one of the dumbest, unnecessary risks I've heard of.

Pa-thetic. 

Sure, you can pay someone else to buy you a refundable ticket.

Or you can buy it one for free yourself and have complete control over the process.

Have you considered that buying a ticket from a third party with zero intent of using it is unlawful and damn easy to prove given the digital trail?

How do you prove intent I wonder

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Upon what basis was it issued for?

For marriage or being the parent of a Thai that would be an error since you are allowed to get a work permit and work with it.

Neither marriage nor mother of Thai child. I have no problem with not working. The OP doesn't say on what basis he is in Thailand. Obviously not on a basis to qualify for non-O allowing to work. Otherwise he would not have been denied

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 3:43 AM, steve187 said:

I got a single entry non immigrant O visa via the Thai Consulate in Honolulu. When checking in at the airport in Honolulu, the lady at the check in counter asked me for a return ticket out of Thailand at which I told her what the consulate General advised me to say if someone asked for a return ticket to say that I plan to change my single entry to an multi entry non immigrant o visa at which I will have a return ticket then. The lady at the check in told me that she will just note it down and thats the last I heard of a return ticket.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, ubonjoe said:

A ticket out of the country is required within 30 days of arrival when entering to get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Immigration seldom ask to see the ticket but the airline may ask for one in order to check in for you flight.

You could get a low cost one way ticket to any nearby country from any airport here to meet the requirement. You can also use one to apply for a single entry tourist visa at the consulate.

Thanks for info and suggestion. I'm in Thailand now with a single entry non immigrant O visa. Just to make sure, I was told by the Thai Consulate General in Honolulu that before my single entry expires to go to a Thai immigration office to "change" my visa from a single entry to a multi entry non immigrant O visa. By saying "change", is he referring to applying for an "extension"? 

If so, I don't think I can come up with 400,000 baht in my bank account for 2 months in time for this extension, would my alternative option be to go to the Thai Consulate in Savankhet to get a non immigrant O Multiple Entry visa? A German guy I recently met here in Thailand said he needed to show 400,000 baht in a bank account at Savanakhet for his non immigrant O visa based on marriage too but from many here in the Thaivisa forum have said that the Thai Consuate in Savankhet doesnt require the 400,000 baht in a bank account.

25 minutes ago, joninisaan said:

If so, I don't think I can come up with 400,000 baht in my bank account for 2 months in time for this extension, would my alternative option be to go to the Thai Consulate in Savankhet to get a non immigrant O Multiple Entry visa?

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration to get more time to have it in the bank for 2 months.

If you can have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months you would not need a multiple entry non-o visa. Another single entry would be enough.

25 minutes ago, joninisaan said:

A German guy I recently met here in Thailand said he needed to show 400,000 baht in a bank account at Savanakhet for his non immigrant O visa based on marriage too but from many here in the Thaivisa forum have said that the Thai Consuate in Savankhet doesnt require the 400,000 baht in a bank account.

He probably thought it was needed and gave them the proof of it without it being asked for. 

No reports of anybody being asked to show it.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration to get more time to have it in the bank for 2 months.

If you can have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months you would not need a multiple entry non-o visa. Another single entry would be enough.

He probably thought it was needed and gave them the proof of it without it being asked for. 

No reports of anybody being asked to show it.

Thanks for the response. I do have recurring funds coming to me but it will take a while for me to pull what I can together to make 400k. But anyway, I was thinking the German guy got something mixed in what he told me. I think I'll be going to Savankhet for a Non Immigrant "O" multi entry visa. When do you think I should head on over to Savanakhet before my 90 days on my single entry is up?

37 minutes ago, joninisaan said:

Thanks for the response. I do have recurring funds coming to me but it will take a while for me to pull what I can together to make 400k. But anyway, I was thinking the German guy got something mixed in what he told me. I think I'll be going to Savankhet for a Non Immigrant "O" multi entry visa. When do you think I should head on over to Savanakhet before my 90 days on my single entry is up?

You could delay going by getting the 60 day extension.

You could go when your 90 days are near ending. Just check there are no holidays that would affect doing the application.

List of holidays for Savannakhet is here. http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/officehours/

On 5/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could delay going by getting the 60 day extension.

You could go when your 90 days are near ending. Just check there are no holidays that would affect doing the application.

List of holidays for Savannakhet is here. http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/officehours/

Thanks again Ubonjoe for the link and information. Thanks not only for the help you gave me on this topic but many other topics/problems I had in the past.