6 Week Old Luk Krung To Apply For Thai Birth Certificate And Thai Passport Where?

Where would the best place for us to apply for a thai birth certificate and a thai passport for our 6 week old son?

Mother is thai and I am not. Our son was born in Norway.

Any difference in getting a thai birth certificate here vs thai?

Is it even possible to get a thai passport for a small baby like he is?

What papers needed if doing it here?

What papers needed if doing it in thai...and translations?

We are going back to Thailand in mid april to live there. We can expose our going back with some weeks if any point of doing so. The best would of course be if he travelled out of Norway as a thai, not having to think about visarun with him. I guess if doing it all in Thailand this process doesnt take 3 months, still I have read someones posts it takes more time doing this process in Thailand when the baby is born outside of Thailand.

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

thai birth certificates for children born overseas are different than the ones issued in Thailand. So you'll need to get it from the embassy BEFORE you leave. You cannot get one in Thailand as the muncipality can only issue certificates for those born within their boundries.

You should also get the Thai passport before you leave to, so your child can enter and stay in Thailand without restriction. If he uses the norweigian passport the best he will be subject to immigration rules and all the processing that is required to go with that.

Bite the bullet and delay your trip slightly...it is worth it in the longer run.

Just came back from the thai embassy and could not get it as there is not enough time. She said the que is long and it would take about 3-4 months to get that and and the passport processed. That long I dont want to expose our leaving.

She said, get the birth certificate from Norway in english ( In Norway the national register can issue one with multiple languages on), then go to the ministery of foreign afairs in Norway to have it verified and stamped.

Bring this to the ministery of foreign affairs in Thailand, together with both parents passports and the papers given by the hospital when the baby was born concerning weight and length. The paper from the hospital could be in Norweigan she said.

These papers the thai ministery of foreign affairs will send back to the thai embassy in Norway. After its processed here, back down to Thailand again. I guess its done this way as the birth certificates are different for babies born outside of Thailand and thats in fact is our case.

She said if we were slow in getting it processed we didn`t need to think about taking the little one out for a visa trip as he is under 4 years old. She was honestly not sure whether this rule applied up to 4 year old kids or 7 year old.

If there is not enough time, the baby can travel on a Norwegiona passport but will need a visa.

Overstay will not be a problem for the baby,

but as Samran suggests you may be better to delay your trip if a long stay is envisaged.

On balance, if you think that the process will be OK for you doing it from Thailand, then fine. I will only warn that what you are proposing probably isn't the most common of requests, and dealing with the MFA in BKK may become quite a hassel (and painful). What the embassy told you is probably only 1/3 of the story of what needs to be done. In Thailand, everyone has their job, and if you request someone to do something outside their realm of responsibility, things become difficult.

Others have posted in the past about doing what you are proposing (I can't remember the person - sorry), and it wasn't as easy as the embassy described to you.