Shippers: Us-bkk

pchaweng

Hi, can anyone share their experience with shipping personal belongings to Thailand? I am moving there in a week and want to be able to send several boxes of books by sea, but don't have any experience doing that sort of thing.

I'm wondering about the cost and time and other details.

thanks in advance for any help/comments provided...

denver-BKK, a 40' x 7.5' x 7.5' cargo container is about US$2500, half as long is about 1900, a lift van about 7' x'7' x 3.5' is much cheaper, but I don't have the cost at hand (I think about 500, but don't quote me). Add to this customs, etc. In any case, it's a lot of books. Anything under 50 lbs, I'd just use UPS/FedEx, etc.

Books, use M-Bag at a US$1/lb.

http://www.hvousa.org/smb.cfm and see your local post office for further details.

For LCL (less than a container load) contact James Yoon per a recommendation by a Bangkok shipping agent. (I have NOT used them as yet.)

Note that a lot of shippers do not want to deal with one off personal goods shipments from what I've learned.

Air Power International Express (USA) Inc.

8366 Isis Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90045

Ctc : James Yoon / Marketing Manager

Tel:310-641-0830 x 301

Mobile: 310-938-4571

Fax:310-641-8515 / 310-641-0967

e-mail: [email protected]

-redwood

Hi, can anyone share their experience with shipping personal belongings to Thailand? I am moving there in a week and want to be able to send several boxes of books by sea, but don't have any experience doing that sort of thing.

I'm wondering about the cost and time and other details.

thanks in advance for any help/comments provided...

What Thai visa do you have ?

• 4 weeks later...

Redwood13 is correct. Most good professional shipping companies will not deal with personal goods shipments for lots of legit reasons.

Unfortunately this leaves either crapy forwarders like Shipco Transport and Geo Global or higher priced firms specialized in personal goods movements.

My experiences are it is better to pay a little extra for a good company. It is worth a little extra not to have your stuff lost or damaged and avoid major hassles.

I shipped in a lot of personal stuff when I left Saudi. Had a rented condo in Pattaya to store it. Just used a normal removals firm in Saudi, freight forwarder, Santa Fe in BKK cleared the boxes for me and delivered to Pattaya.

The freight forwarder did all the paperwork and the most expensive part was the Customs payment. I had only a tourist visa at the time, used to come to LOS for two weeks every three months. Job finished, nowhere else to go, so that's the story.

Use the professionals and you should be OK. But water damage to books?

Unless it is alot of books, and only books, I think an m-bag is your best bet. I send myself m-bags from the US every year and have never paid any customs duty on them. It is $1 per pound, minimum 11 pounds, maximum 66 pounds. You can, obviously, send multiple bags.