It's recruitment season: is it different this year?

What'S different?

More vacancies, less vacancies? Am in a neighboring country and sitting on the fence regarding re-applying in Thailand. 

Some salaries might have been increased? :o There are signs and wonders!

What I have noticed - and to be fair, I see a minuscule percentage of the market - is that the raw number of teachers needed seem to be flat, but I sense the requirements are going up.

While I teach at the university level, I also assist our related Demonstration School; and the Satit does hire non-Thai teachers for English, Chinese, Japanese, French and I have heard Russian might be launched next year.

I recall in years past the minimums for teacher recruitment were not has demanding as now. For example, I recall when I first started, it wasn’t a stated minimum that all applicants have a minimum of 2 full academic years teaching in an OBEC-covered school; now it is. I also recall that we never required C1 or better CEFR scoring.

Now, to be fair, none of these minimums inherently means the school will get a great teacher - but it is my opinion, that for those who perhaps have slightly lower scores on things like the TOEIC, CEFR etc or don’t have several years in-class experience, I think the net volume of jobs open to you might be deceasing or at least the number of mid to upper-range salaried jobs might be smaller for you.

Again, my view from only one microscopic position.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 2

Based on my experience, I would say that this is the tail end of the recruiting season.  The schools that are reasonably well organized and do any planning in advance usually do their hiring in March and April.  Schools that are hiring now either don't really care about their English classes/EP program or had a new teacher unexpectedly not show up.

• Like 1

agree with above. 

More requirements, including teaching licenses or studying for teaching licenses but same salaries as when I came here 20 years ago. 

Schools can go either way:

1. They can hire new teachers to Thailand who can get 2~4 year waivers with no experience

Or

2. Take care of their existing teachers with decent salary increases and have teachers with lots of experience and commitment.

But you can probably guess which one most schools on a budget will choose ????

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pogal said:

agree with above. 

More requirements, including teaching licenses or studying for teaching licenses but same salaries as when I came here 20 years ago. 

Schools can go either way:

1. They can hire new teachers to Thailand who can get 2~4 year waivers with no experience

Or

2. Take care of their existing teachers with decent salary increases and have teachers with lots of experience and commitment.

But you can probably guess which one most schools on a budget will choose ????

Exactly.  There are greener pastures.  I'd personally give Thailand a pass.  Thais have no respect for your skills,  You're simply used at the lowest possible salary and then tossed like a single-use plastic bag.  

Look elsewhere.  There are places in this world where your skills are valued as are you.  Thailand is not one of those places.  

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Look elsewhere.  There are places in this world where your skills are valued as are you.  Thailand is not one of those places. 

Which countries do you suggest connda?

I think the schools are getting more desperate, but salaries are barely inching up after being flat or declining.  The hoards of backpackers are having less of an impact, which is partially offset by the NNES Europeans. Also, they have lightened up on the age limits. 

I just saw an ad for BFITs offering two month contracts, and zero mention of age.  45k per month.  A 2 month contract goes against everything I know about visa, WP, and TL, otherwise I would be interested.  The thought of a trip to Vientiane makes me more than queasy, especially since I am on my fifth extension based on retirement.

I notice the Brits constantly use the term "it's a pity," to describe everything from meatloaf to bedsheets, but the job scene for foreigners really is a pity.  The US Economy's strength would also be a deterrent to coming here, and while the Internet has been around for decades; the cat has really gotten out of the bag regarding what foreign teachers face here, especially on the nastiness of paperwork issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzMan said:

Which countries do you suggest connda?

Suggest you try Vietnam, so long as you have acceptable qualifications. Inconvenient hours but better pay and conditions.

The recruiter I know said he's been authorized to hire up to 70% Filipino teachers this year, unheard of in the past. I'll be interested to see if there's any backlash from parents. They tend to like white faces.

• Sad 1

I hit my waiver limit this year so that's it for me. I'll miss the kids, nothing else. Basically invisible for the full 6 years at the government school I was in, apart from having my tests told they were too easy and should not relate to what I had been teaching in the classroom. <deleted>?

• Thanks 1

I can't really suggest to any aspiring teacher to apply for a teaching job in Thailand at any Thai run school.  They are generally mis-managed, have a poor pay rate, and don't give enough assistance in obtaining the correct visa and work permit.  Most likely you will have to pay for your own visa and WP as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1