Car alarm going off all night ="\Act of God/???"

smo

After 5 years living here I found out this country still has new ways up her sleeve to say "Welcome to Thailand."

My building has mostly underground parking, plus one row of parking space on ground floor at the front. Whenever one of those cars parked there has alarm malfunction, the people who room front facing receive the full blast, yours truly included.

Last Saturday night my most dreaded nightmare came true. A jumbo pickup had its alarm go off at 10 min, 20min, 30 min,40 min random intervals starting after midnight through Sunday morning. Sometime between 2 and 3am I went downstairs and talked to the "night-portress" at the front desk. She nodded to everything I said, made efforts to contact the security guard at the front entrance. Not much they could do there, so she proceeded to contact the owner of the pickup. A female voice answered the phone, sorry they were out of town. In short, we tried, nothing could be done.

This morning I had a long-ish talk with the building manager. She has a farang boyfriend so between her English and my Thai, we could get the discussion going at some length. Basically she said, unlike where I come from (the US,) here calling the police has the same effect as not calling them, meaning, they will simply require attempts to be made to contact the owner or his/her kins to remedy the situation somehow. Tenant car alarm malfunction is beyond the building management's control, therefore their responsibily only extend to "helping" alleviate the problem or make it go away. If they so much as touch the car with one finger (metaphorically speaking) they'll get on the wrong side of the law... Then what about the poor,irate tenant who not only can not get to sleep but have not a moment of peace/respite the whole night? "I'm so sorry," she said. I tried one more manoeuver, "how about next time me checking into the hotel next soi for the night and you pick up the tab?". "Then what do we do if half of the building follow you to the same hotel. Are we going to have to pay for everyone?"

I was going to point out the fact that it seemed I was the only one protested, but caught myself in time -(ah hah, touche'.) I probably was the only one at the front desk haranguing the night staff at the front desk. Others must have remained in bed doing their best to abate the car alarm with their own snoring (or f*&^ing.)

Maybe a bit of deception you could of asked the make of truck dealer that you have lost keys to your truck can open it for me.

Meanwhile get some earplugs and keep nudging the truck all day until battery hopefully goes dead.

Archived