Send US$ Via OFX to BK Bank

I finally "launched" my 1st usd transfer from my US bank account to my BKB account using OFX (OzForex.) After going through the initial profile setup, I clicked on "New Transfer" and immediately got a "Oops Something went wrong." So I called OFX customer service (friendly and helpful but prepare to tune your ears to Ozzie accent) who talked me through the process. However one more step still needed, a micro-deposit to reach my US account. Two days later ie today that happened so this morning I went ahead and wrapped up my transfer. Customer service called me on the phone immediately to re-confirmed the transaction, adding that the funds will be held by OXF for 3 business days before they could transfer it and the transfer itself would take another 2-5 days to reach my BKB account.

I'm curious to know if that's normal waiting time for a transfer done with OFX? From what I've learned on other threads, a transfer made with Transferwise would take less than 2 days from the time you click "Confirm" to when you receive notification that the money has arrived in your Thai account. (The reason I haven't used Transferwise is because I fumbled a bit during the setting up process with them and right now I'm still at the stage of waiting for their 2 micro-deposits to reach my US account.)

21 hours ago, smo said:

adding that the funds will be held by OXF for 3 business days before they could transfer it

Did you ask them why?

Seems unusual in this day and age.......unless only for the first transfer?

When funding an OFX transfer via "ACH" OFX applies a 3 day hold time to ensure the funds clear....just like how bank will many times will deposit a check but place the funds on hold for X-days until the check clears and then the funds become fully available.

OFX will tell you they require 1 day to initiate pull of the funds via ACH and then a 3 day hold time....but that 1 day to initiate pull of the funds seems to blur into the 3 day hold period.  My experience with OFX based on two transfers it will take 4 business days for the funds to post to your Thai bank account.

Summary: OFX utilizes a 3 day ACH hold/clearing period which Transferwise does not.    

Archived