Customs in BKK

It had been three years since I went through customs at BKK arriving from Los Angeles.

in the past, i just walked by the red lane. have they changed procedure? 

i thought i read about some sort of scanner for luggage now.

Procedure as before but they do pull the odd passengers in the Green Lane to scan luggage.  They also have another large block scanner operating, like at LHR, that scans everyone as they pass by.  Not sure what that does, or even if it's operational.  

24th April, it was as normal, they do have the scanner (same type as for checked baggage at regional airports), but it was still on a random basis people were getting asked to feed their bags through, mostly the selected ones had stacks of bags on their luggage trollies.

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i thought i read about some sort of scanner for luggage now.

Scanner has been there for many years, I just march through the green channel, never been pulled yet, was "advised" years back to walk like you have had a lot to drink, they wont bother to pull you as Thai's tend to avoid confrontation? 

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Scanner has been there for many years, I just march through the green channel, never been pulled yet, was "advised" years back to walk like you have had a lot to drink, they wont bother to pull you as Thai's tend to avoid confrontation? 

why not just have nothing to hide from them, better than 'acting' surely? 

Just now, Pilotman said:

why not just have nothing to hide from them, better than 'acting' surely? 

Judgemental? why would you assume I have anything to "hide" maybe just prefer to walk straight through. ???? 

Strolled through the green channel at Swampy a couple of weeks ago with two large cases.........Customs were all sat around a table on their phones drinking coffee taking absolutely no notice............:biggrin:

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Judgemental? why would you assume I have anything to "hide" maybe just prefer to walk straight through. ???? 

you gave the 'advice' mate, not me, i just pointed out the obvious,  that it isn't necessary to act drunk, or act in any other way but normal, if you have nothing to hide. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

you gave the 'advice' mate, not me, i just pointed out the obvious,  that it isn't necessary to act drunk, or act in any other way but normal, if you have nothing to hide. 

I would politely ask you to read my post again, take the chill pills and have a nice day ???? 

Friend of mine has nothing to hide.

He walked like he always do, suspicious.

Ofcourse he was picked, had to open his bag.

He has nothing to hide, so go on you <disturbed>

He customs point to the pack of cookies, 'no can' he said.

Friend get on his nerves, 'always before, never problem' he said.

Custom, searched further and pick a bag of candy sweets, 'no can' he said.

Friends nervers are glowing, 'before never problem, go go go' he said.

He stand but not still, like Michael J Fox on lava, looking around.

He talks to the air 'before never had problem'

knowing that the custom just try to get free cookies and candies.

Another custom walked up, 'talked some bit and then pai pai' to the friend.

That evening we enjoyed our coffee with imported cookies.

No treats for the custom.

man man man....

I've been pulled a couple of times.

They had a good drink those evenings.

I asked if I could declare next time at the red channel & they said no.

Limit is all that I was told I was allowed which made me wonder why they have a red channel at all

8 minutes ago, SidJames said:

I've been pulled a couple of times.

They had a good drink those evenings.

I asked if I could declare next time at the red channel & they said no.

Limit is all that I was told I was allowed which made me wonder why they have a red channel at all

Obviously told u bs, but we don't really except them to know the law do we?? What's next, thinking traffic cops know the traffic rules? ????

I've never been pulled over for a bag scan at Swampy green channel but my Thai wife regularly does.  Even then she's only had her luggage scanned and nothing else.

They only appear to start rifling through luggage if the scanner picks up something untoward.

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Obviously told u bs, but we don't really except them to know the law do we?? 

Not BS. There is no means in place to pay duy on over-limit alcohol and tobacco.

There is a means in place to pay duty on other dutiable items which is what the red channel is for.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not BS. There is no means in place to pay duy on over-limit alcohol and tobacco.

There is a means in place to pay duty on other dutiable items which is what the red channel is for.

This would be interesting to know for sure... 

I've been stopped once about 20 years ago.... Since Suvarnabumi has opened I've been asked to place my baggage on through the Customs X-ray once (I'm re-entering Thailand through customs about 8 or 9 times per year).

I usually bring through 2 bottles of Whisky (knowingly exceeding my limit by 1 liter). I have often wondered what the charge would be if I were caught or wished to declare the additional 1 liter. 

34 minutes ago, donim said:

Friend of mine has nothing to hide.

He walked like he always do, suspicious.

Ofcourse he was picked, had to open his bag.

He has nothing to hide, so go on you <disturbed>

He customs point to the pack of cookies, 'no can' he said.

Friend get on his nerves, 'always before, never problem' he said.

Custom, searched further and pick a bag of candy sweets, 'no can' he said.

Friends nervers are glowing, 'before never problem, go go go' he said.

He stand but not still, like Michael J Fox on lava, looking around.

He talks to the air 'before never had problem'

knowing that the custom just try to get free cookies and candies.

Another custom walked up, 'talked some bit and then pai pai' to the friend.

That evening we enjoyed our coffee with imported cookies.

No treats for the custom.

man man man....

Now you make me scary for my next trip :ohmy:, as this was my result a year ago in May , most chocolate (20Kilo ) ,different cheeses ,vitamins & more...as I fly especially KLM as they have option for 80 € a second travel bag 23 kilo???? , so I take always 1 extra .

My imported  foods.jpg

57 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Strolled through the green channel at Swampy a couple of weeks ago with two large cases.........Customs were all sat around a table on their phones drinking coffee taking absolutely no notice............:biggrin:

Surely you don't expect them to come to work and then do some work ????

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I usually bring through 2 bottles of Whisky (knowingly exceeding my limit by 1 liter). I have often wondered what the charge would be if I were caught or wished to declare the additional 1 liter. 

The first charge is invariably a Whole World of Pain.  

Da Roadrunner once strolled through customs with one of those massive rainbow coloured asian bags, which contained almost an entire BMW steering and suspension system. (This was in pre-scanner days)

Problem now is, I need an entire engine!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just passed through, quite a few customs officers (all dressed in their best white uniforms by the looks of it) pulling approx 1 in 8 over for bag scans.

I'll just mention immigration was quick today <15mins certainly, done the fingerprint, left finger scan hesitated on the machine a moment, but was easy. Right hand fingers, left hand fingers, two thumbs (similar as for a Thai passport). Lovely female IO, very pleasant, but she did want to see the boarding pass for the flight I had just come from. There were a couple of other folk not through yet, still checking their pockets, try to find theirs. Onwards to DMK now.....

I've been through hundreds of times, have only been stopped once. Had the usual case and hand luggage + that time a big box. They wanted to know what was in the box I told them it was around 3.000 tea bags. They put it through the scanner must have shown up tea bags. They put it back on my trolley and told me to OK go. If it had been something else I would have had problems. Thank Buddha they didn't want or like UK tea bags.    

Word to those who bring in bacon or pork products. There's a BIG scare on with African swine fever or 'pig ebola' that has decimated herds in China, Vietnam and Cambodia. I came through a few days back and saw the "No pork products!" warning signs outside the green channel I wandered through. I guess you could try and argue that the pigs that yielded your 1000 gr of Wiltshire or Danish hadn't been on holiday in the far east but I think it will ultimately get seized if discovered.

I haven't been stopped by Thai Customs since Don Meuang was the front door. They tend to get serious with Asian flights at Suvarnabhumi so if you see them stopping 'everyone' in the green channel, just mill about and check the duty free selections until you see they've cooled off and gone back to coffee and games on their phones.

Archived