Retirement: 800k for 2 mths not long enough?

Samut Prakan Immigration has just rejected my application to extend my stay in Thailand for another year (retirement, 800k bank deposit method).

I opted for early retirement from my job a few years back (lump-sum payment; no pension) after having worked in Thailand legally (back-to-back work visas) since 1989. This would have been my 4th retirement extension, but it was my first attempt to extend in Samut Prakan. I only moved to this province a few months ago, but duly registered my new address with local Immigration.

I had seasoned the 800k for only 2 months, since this was my understanding of the new rules after reading posts from many people on this forum, but the Samut Prakan IO insisted, earlier today, that I had to have the 800k in the bank for 3 months prior to the application. He said the 2-month seasoning was only for first-time applicants for the retirement extension and that there was a 3-month minimum for second and subsequent extensions. I politely pointed out that what he had just outlined was the old regulation, but that it had been superceded by the new rules. He stuck to his guns, however. His superior officer, sitting alongside him, backed him up. For second and subsequent retirement extensions, I was told, the new rule is 800k in the bank for a minimum of 3 months before application and then 400k in the bank for 3 months after a one-year extension is granted.

I was told that I would have to start the process again by leaving the country, getting a new non-immigrant "o" visa, returning and applying for a retirement extension from scratch after at least 90 days have elapsed.

It seems to me that these 2 IOs are grossly misinterpreting the new rules. I asked for and was granted a 7-day extension (1,900 baht fee) to allow me time to make travel arrangements. In the interim, do I have any recourse, any means of appealing against what seems to me to be a decision based on an

Incorrect understanding of the new rules? What say you Ubon Joe? Or should I just meekly accept the situation, fly to Penang and restart the process?

P.S. For a successful non-immigrant "o" application, will the Penang consulate need to see a bank letter plus an updated bank book showing 800k, or will a lesser amount do? Any other requirements?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 hour ago, roo4 said:

It seems to me that these 2 IOs are grossly misinterpreting the new rules. I asked for and was granted a 7-day extension (1,900 baht fee) to allow me time to make travel arrangements. In the interim, do I have any recourse, any means of appealing against what seems to me to be a decision based on an

Incorrect understanding of the new rules? What say you Ubon Joe? Or should I just meekly accept the situation, fly to Penang and restart the process?

There is no point in appealing, if that is the offices policy.

And as you’ve been given 7 days to leave, you must leave, and cannot apply for another extension of your current entry.

1 hour ago, roo4 said:

P.S. For a successful non-immigrant "o" application, will the Penang consulate need to see a bank letter plus an updated bank book showing 800k, or will a lesser amount do? Any other requirements?

You need 800K minimum in the bank.