Thailand Tells Australia Its Bombing Warning Overstated

george

Thailand tells Canberra its bombing warning overstated

BANGKOK: -- Thai Deputy Foreign Minister Sawanit Kongsiri on Friday said that the ministry had informed the Australian government that the situation in Thailand had not worsened to such a level that it was necessary to warn Australian residents and visitors to Thailand -- tourists and businesspersons -- of possible bombings and other violence here.

The Australian Foreign Ministry recently issued a travel warning to Australians in Thailand to beware of possible bomb attacks by southern insurgents in the country.

Speaking before attending a security meeting chaired by Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, Mr. Sawanit said he might bring up the issue for discussion at the meeting where the ongoing southern unrest would be put on high agenda.

He said the ministry had already explained to Canberra that the situation in Thailand was not as bad as suggested in its warning.

"Canberra responded that it has a duty to warn its people of possible dangers," Mr. Sawanit said. If it fails to do that and the unfavourable incident really happens," he explained, "it may have to take the blame. So, it needs to give a warning first.

"What we must do is to clarify the situation and tell Canberra that such warnings will affect us," Mr. Sawanit said, especially if nothing happens.

Canberra said it had received the information from Thailand's National Intelligence Office, he said.

--TNA 2007-03-09

BANGKOK: -- Thai Deputy Foreign Minister Sawanit Kongsiri on Friday said that the ministry had informed the Australian government that the situation in Thailand had not worsened to such a level that it was necessary to warn Australian residents and visitors to Thailand -- tourists and businesspersons -- of possible bombings and other violence here.

The actual bombings notwithstanding. :o

"What we must do is to clarify the situation and tell Canberra that such warnings will affect us," Mr. Sawanit said, especially if nothing happens.

"Especially if nothing happens" Hahaha!

Hopefully nothing happens. The whole point of the warning is to make people aware of whats going on to reduce the risk of something bad happening to someone. Maybe Mr. Sawanit will say it's ok to give these warnings after a few bad things happen to tourist.

I don't see anything wrong with these warnings, they are just warnings based on current events that have occured. I think the Govnt is just trying to cover its ass in case something bad does happen so the do gooders cant say "Well no one warned us"

I get these e-mails weekly from the Oz Embassy, DFAT and who ever else sends them to my e-mail and I delete them before even reading them, Im sure many other Aussies do the same. Australians will continue to come here and these warnings will not deter many of us from comming here because, unlike Thais who believe everythnig their Govnt tells them, we realise sometimes that our Govnt has to go over the top on some issues just to cover its ass.

Australia isn't the only Country issuing these warnings:

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against all travel to the region(s) specified below. (IDW5)

You are advised against all travel to the far southern provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, and Songkhla (including the city of Hat Yai), where almost daily attacks continue to occur including attacks with firearms, bombings, beheadings, arsons, and attacks with knives. There is no indication that the frequency of the attacks will decrease. On September 16, 2006, bombs exploded in Hat Yai (Songkhla Province), killing several foreigners, including one Canadian. On February 18-19, 2007, numerous bombings (and multiple other attacks, including shootings and arson attacks) occurred in the provinces of Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani and Songkhla, killing several people and wounding dozens more.

The British FO has much the same.......

We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where there is continuing violence due to insurgency and civil unrest. Since January 2004, there have been regular attacks including bombings and shootings. Most recently, on 18 and 19 February 31 bombs exploded in the far southern provinces. The Thai Government has declared a serious state of emergency in the provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against civilian targets in public places including places frequented by foreigners.

On 31 December 2006, eight bombs exploded in various locations in Bangkok, killing three people and injuring at least 36 others including six foreigners. On 23 February 2007, the Thai authorities warned that there could be further attacks in Bangkok, which could happen at any time and they have strengthened security in the city. You should exercise caution when travelling within Bangkok.

Well who to believe, so lets reflect a bit here. I can recall and I am sure digging back in some threads. “The Thai government says the south is safe” or something along that line. A day or two later bombs and killings there.

In all reality watch what and where Thai officials do and go when they are off the clock. At the same time watch where they don’t go. Unfortunately some 60-20-20 going on here.

Advisories are just that, advisories.

You can make your own judgements as to their validity.

There are advisories about many countries, some are more pertinent than others.

A day or two later bombs and killings there

John it's as good as DAILY ............................

Yes now, but at the time that comment was made there was a significant pause in the violence. There is a thread on it someplace.

Edited by John K

He said the ministry had already explained to Canberra that the situation in Thailand was not as bad as suggested in its warning.

but ...

A suspected car with bomb found nearby PM's residence

Police arrested the person who hid a TNT explosive in a car parked near the residence of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Roads around the site were temporarily closed during the rigorous investigation.

It's not as bad as Canberra suggests it is far bloody worse, and people who constantly deny the slow slide of Thailand into the mire, are deluding themselves.

but ...
A suspected car with bomb found nearby PM's residence

Police arrested the person who hid a TNT explosive in a car parked near the residence of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Roads around the site were temporarily closed during the rigorous investigation.

It's not as bad as Canberra suggests it is far bloody worse, and people who constantly deny the slow slide of Thailand into the mire, are deluding themselves.

What? Thaksin has returned and now he's overtaking Surayudh as the prime minister? Wow.

ourmanflint gotta be the man for breaking news before anyone else in the world. :D:o

By the way, how's news, let say that's a few years old, relevant to this thread? May I ask?

Oh I see. Ourmanflint got it from another thread that was dated to 2006-08-24. :D Guess he was too excited to see news which may or may not mean Thailand "slowly sliding into the mire" that he forgot to look at the date. :D:D

This is another case of Thailand putting their head in the sand hoping nothing will happen.

The warning is advise to Australian people in Thailand to be careful I don't see anything wrong with that.

But then I'm not Thai????? :o

Well it this case it is just a heads up type of thing so there is nothing wrong about it. But then you see news like this and it makes you wonder just how much spin there is:

PM says al-Qaeda stay on Thai sidelines

(TNA)

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said progress has been made by the authorities in dealing with unrest in Thailand southernmost provinces, and the violence has so far not attracted international terrorists.

Though governments of foreign countries might have alerted their nationals of possible peril while they are in Thailand, Gen Surayud maintained that the unrest in the turbulent provinces of Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani had not involved al-Qaeda, Jemaah Islamiyah or other international terrorist gangs as once feared.

Tourists could go anywhere except for areas declared unsafe by the Thai authorities, Gen Surayud said, apparently responding to the Australian government's reaction to speculation relating to possible terrorism in Thailand.

Events in Thailand's southernmost region should not be compared with those in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to the prime minister.

Gen Surayud downplayed speculation that untoward incidents would occur on March 13, the date which marks the establishment of the so-called State of Pattani, and said the authorities have been taking varied steps to assure the safety of local villagers and officials assigned to the southern tier of provinces

Cooperation between Thailand and Malaysia in a bid to contain regional unrest is being carried out in satisfactory fashion, especially regarding resolution of the the dual-nationality status of some Muslim residents.

Evidence such as fingerprints and pictures of suspected militants, who may have shuttled themselves between the two neighbouring countries and carried both Thai and Malaysian nationality identification, had been made fully available to the authorities of both countries, the prime minister said.

Meanwhile, Gen, Surayud said government units would adjust the tactics of patrols and search for suspected insurgents throughout the region, even as understanding between government officials and local villagers would as well improve.

Government officials would give clear explanations to the pre-dominantly Muslim villagers, including veiled women and youngsters, if any of their neighbours were detained for police questioning, after an untoward incident had taken place. Gen Surayud quoted ISOC officials and the Navy chief of staff as saying the ethnic Malay Muslim villagers had recently been more cooperative with the authorities.

More funding would be shortly provided for local units in charge of security affairs and under the care of the Internal Security Operations Command and Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre, Gen Surayud said.

The prime minister added that he intended to conduct a meeting between the National Security Council and other government agencies to discuss the Deep South issue on a monthly basis and to closely follow up implementations of the government policy and schemes by government officials in a tele-conference mode.

This is another case of Thailand putting their head in the sand hoping nothing will happen.

The warning is advise to Australian people in Thailand to be careful I don't see anything wrong with that.

But then I'm not Thai????? :o

What are you on about? I said nothing regarding the warnings issued by the Australian gov't. :D :D

I think he was referring to Khun Prime Minister, Thaigoon.

Why did he quote my post which had absolutely nothing to do with what the prime minister said then? :o

Sorry that I didn't have the sixth sense to know that PatayaTony was not refering to my post and in fact was talking about what John K would be posting 7 minutes later. :D:D

Edited by ThaiGoon

It doesn't take a sixth sense, it's obvious that he was answering you by saying that the retort to the Australians was an indication the PM was in denial.

So why did he have to answer to me when what I was talking about had nothing to do with the initial retort by the Thai gov't? Also look at the origianl post, it's Thai Deputy Foreign Minister Sawanit..not the prime minister who said the warning was overstated.

:o

Edited by ThaiGoon

Hahaha. :o Anyway I'm impressed with your ability to understand things that are illogical, and then try to defend it even if you know you are wrong. I'm impressed. :D

Time in Thailand will do that. You learn from the masters :D

_42111538_thaksin_afp_203x300.jpg

Edited by cdnvic

I often wonder if these Adviseries and Warnings are often used as ways and means of settling old scores in cross border negotiations behind closed doors in the murky world of shadow politics.Someone stated earlier on this Thread that the Aus Dollar was down against the Thai Baht ..Maybe some one in the Aus Govt thought it would be a good idea to give Their Patriots that are already there a extra heads up regards safety and at the same time deter any others from going there in the Hope the Money will be spent on Holidays back in the Homeland Whilst also sticking it to the Thai Govt over some issue the rest of us are oblivious to (Maybe a Prisoner release/ exchange or Trade deal gone bad) ..I remember a time when these Travel Adviseries were taken Seriously (BBC Teletext and Ceefax service) ..Now When you read them then go to the trouble of doing a google search or are familiar with area they seem pretty understated ..It strikes me Most Goverments are not really concerned about anyones safety ..We only have to look at the current situation with the 5 Brits that have been Kidnapped in Ethiopia ..I,m not sure on this but i beleive the only reason there is a big stink is because they are embassey staff ..I think if it was someones 2 sons that had been kidnapped from the Chip shop down the road very little would of been heard about it unless a Journo turned it into a sensationlist story and it couldn,t be ignored any longer.Bottom line i think is that a WARNING is a WARNING regardless the Motives behind it and in the Interests of SAFETY .It would be the wise choice to be that little bit extra careful.Especially People that have their Families their .I know there,s a lot of If,s Buts and Maybe,s in what i,ve just wrote but this is how i feel these days in world gone insane ... .... :o ..Anyone who reads this and who is out there ...Stay Safe and Be Lucky .... :D ..PEACE ..out

Hahaha. :o Anyway I'm impressed with your ability to understand things that are illogical, and then try to defend it even if you know you are wrong. I'm impressed. :D

Time in Thailand will do that. You learn from the masters :D

_42111538_thaksin_afp_203x300.jpg

I have been away for 24 hours. Have I missed anything?

they issue warnings to "Australian travellers overseas" and these are updated constantly.

It's not a plot to threaten tourism anywhere it's policy, you can ignore it or use it.

It's really that simple.

When things get more serious then Aussies are evacuated as just happened in East Timor

believe it or not