Uk Tourist Visa For My 10 Months Old Baby

Hi,

I am 40 and British and have been with my Thai g/f for nearly 5 years and during the last 3 years she got 3 x 6 month tourist visas for the UK (one per calendar year). We are both currently living in Thailand. We now have a 10 month old baby that was born in Thailand. I am named on her Thai Birth Certificate as the father. Additionally next week I shall be applying for a British passport for my daughter as she is entitled to one (as well as a Thai Passport), but the process will take up to six months. In the meantime, would it be straightforward applying for a tourist visa for my daughter so that the three of us can visit the UK (my girlfriends tourist visa application should be straightforward). Additionally, what would be the process - can I go to the British Embassy on her behalf or does the mother have to go? Many thanks.

Straightforward.....Make a joint application for visas for your g/f and child, two separate application forms, two bank drafts but only one sponsorship package from yourself. Submit them together. There are questions on the form asking who the infant is travelling with and on the other form if the adult is travelling with a child. Your g/f submits the joint application and from what you say that will be it. If you would normally submit your g/f's application then do that either in person or via a courier

I'm surprised it will take 6 months to get a UK passport though, hopefully someone can say this is not true.

Good luck.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Hi,

Additionally next week I shall be applying for a British passport for my daughter as she is entitled to one (as well as a Thai Passport), but the process will take up to six months.

Why do you think it will take up to 6 months ? What is your british nationality status ? Are you british by descent or "otherwise than by descent" ? If you were born in the UK then most probably you are british "otherwise than by descent" and your child will automatically be british (by descent) and you can get a passport (and UK birth certificate) in 2 weeks from the embassy in bangkok.

There is a pinned thread on this forum that explains about this in more detail.

Hi,

Additionally next week I shall be applying for a British passport for my daughter as she is entitled to one (as well as a Thai Passport), but the process will take up to six months.

Why do you think it will take up to 6 months ? What is your british nationality status ? Are you british by descent or "otherwise than by descent" ? If you were born in the UK then most probably you are british "otherwise than by descent" and your child will automatically be british (by descent) and you can get a passport (and UK birth certificate) in 2 weeks from the embassy in bangkok.

There is a pinned thread on this forum that explains about this in more detail.

Hi,

Thanks for both replies.

Sonicdragon, I am British by descent, however the immigration law regarding obtaining a British Passport for a Thai baby born to a British father who isn't married to the mother changed from July 1st 2006. My child was born a few weeks prior to the law change (typical!) which facillitates automatic British citizenship and therefore the following applies (extracted from the British Embassy website);

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

British Fathers, who are not married, can now apply to register children who are born abroad prior 1 July 2006, with the Home Office. It must be noted this is discretionary. All applications must be received within the first 12 months of the child’s birth. Those applying should expect to receive a decision in approximately 6 months. The fee for this will be £200 payable in Thai Baht plus a Consular forwarding fee of Baht 2,870. Please ask us for form MN1 or obtain it from the Home Office.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full text is shown in the following link;

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717512679

Regards.

There's no reason why you shouldn't apply for a visa on behalf of your child. You can then make the application for registration when in the UK if you so wish, and save the 2870 baht handling fee. The Home Office website states that such applications are currently being turned round in 3 months.

Scouse.