Rocky star Stallone says he never expected to make it in movies

rooster59

Rocky star Stallone says he never expected to make it in movies

By Hanna Rantala

800x800 (4).jpg

72nd Cannes Film Festival - Masterclass Sylvester Stallone - Cannes, France, May 24, 2019. Sylvester Stallone reacts. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Action movie superstar Sylvester Stallone told cinemagoers in Cannes on Friday that he never expected to make it in the film industry due to an accident at birth that caused him to slur his words - now one of his more celebrated trademarks.

The U.S. actor, 72, rocketed to fame in 1976 with his Oscar-winning boxing movie "Rocky" and went on to become one of Hollywood's biggest action stars through the "Rocky" and "Rambo" and film franchises.

But Stallone said that when he was starting out, his speech impediment had stumped filmmakers and fellow actors like "Terminator" star Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"I didn't think I was going to (have a career in film)," Stallone said during the Cannes Film Festival, where he was invited to speak in a celebration of his career.

"When I would try to get jobs in commercials, the director would go, 'What are you saying, what language is that?'

"I knew it was bad when Arnold Schwarzenegger said, 'You have an accent'," Stallone added. "I go, 'I have an accent?

Excuse me, what?' It's true. Arnold and I should open up a school for speech lessons. It would be perfect."

Stallone's snarl and slurred speech are now among his widely recognised signatures. He is also known for his muscular physique.

The actor and filmmaker was given a rapturous welcome as he arrived for Friday's event, and greeted crowds with "Yo."

He also reflected on his most famous roles.

"Rambo deals with the very dark side of nature that unfortunately a lot of people live with because they feel isolated," Stallone said of the character, a Vietnam War veteran who struggles to readjust to civilian life.

"Rocky is different, he's the more optimistic, he realises he is not a special man but he tries to be special," the actor added. Rocky Balboa is an Italian-American boxer from a working class background who makes it big.

Stallone's performance in "Rocky", the first film in the franchise, earned him Best Actor nominations at the Golden Globes, Oscars and BAFTAs - though he has never won the awards.

Audiences at Cannes were set to be shown early clips for "Rambo V: Last Blood" on Friday. The latest film from that series is set for release in the United States in September.

(Writing by Sarah White; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-25

Stallone has always had something. I addition to writing a brilliant screenplay for Rocky, he has something as an actor. Something people can relate to. He seems down to earth, and comes off as quite charming. I have always enjoyed watching him, with the major exception of the awful Dredd films. He also wrote all of the Rocky films, and the Rambo films, in addition to quite a few other films. Also, he directed the last four Rocky films. He was nominated for an oscar for both Rocky and Creed, and won the Golden Globe for Creed. Whether you like him or not, there is no doubt the man is very talented and smart.  

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Stallone has always had something. I addition to writing a brilliant screenplay for Rocky, he has something as an actor. Something people can relate to. He seems down to earth, and comes off as quite charming. I have always enjoyed watching him, with the major exception of the awful Dredd films. He also wrote all of the Rocky films, and the Rambo films, in addition to quite a few other films. Also, he directed the last four Rocky films. He was nominated for an oscar for both Rocky and Creed, and won the Golden Globe for Creed. Whether you like him or not, there is no doubt the man is very talented and smart.  

"Stallone has always had something".  "the man is very talented and smart."  Maybe, but it sure isn't with acting ability.

He is to acting what Peltin Elton is to singing.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Stallone has always had something".  "the man is very talented and smart."  Maybe, but it sure isn't with acting ability.

Elton John is to singing ? You might not like his music but there is no denying the FACTS of his achievements.

"With over 300 million records sold, he is one of the best-selling music artists in the world. He has some quite unattainable feats under his belt—seven consecutive No. 1 US albums, 58 Billboard Top 40 singles, 27 Top 10, four No. 2 and nine No. 1 songs. For 31 consecutive years, i.e. from 1970 until 2000, he had at least one song in the Billboard Hot 100. He has to his credit more than fifty Top 40 hits and that is not all. His tribute to Princess Diana, ‘Candle in the Wind 1997’, sold over 33 million copies worldwide and is the best-selling single in the history of the UK and US singles charts even today. And if you think that is all that Elton John has for you, wait. Apart from being a noteworthy English singer and pianist, he is also a well renowned composer, producer"

Similarly for Stallone, an extremely succesful career ! Ok some not so good ones here and there, but does not deserve the comment you made, thats for sure.

"He went on to become one of the biggest action stars in the world, reprising his characters from Rocky and First Blood (1982) for several sequels. Following a mid-career decline, he rediscovered box-office success with The Expendables (2010) and earned critical acclaim for reviving the Rocky franchise with Creed (2015), garnering his first Golden Globe win and another Oscar nomination.

Whether you actually like either of them or not, there is no doubt they are  both extremely talented and successful.

1 hour ago, The Cobra said:

Elton John is to singing ? You might not like his music but there is no denying the FACTS of his achievements.

"With over 300 million records sold, he is one of the best-selling music artists in the world. He has some quite unattainable feats under his belt—seven consecutive No. 1 US albums, 58 Billboard Top 40 singles, 27 Top 10, four No. 2 and nine No. 1 songs. For 31 consecutive years, i.e. from 1970 until 2000, he had at least one song in the Billboard Hot 100. He has to his credit more than fifty Top 40 hits and that is not all. His tribute to Princess Diana, ‘Candle in the Wind 1997’, sold over 33 million copies worldwide and is the best-selling single in the history of the UK and US singles charts even today. And if you think that is all that Elton John has for you, wait. Apart from being a noteworthy English singer and pianist, he is also a well renowned composer, producer"

Similarly for Stallone, an extremely succesful career ! Ok some not so good ones here and there, but does not deserve the comment you made, thats for sure.

"He went on to become one of the biggest action stars in the world, reprising his characters from Rocky and First Blood (1982) for several sequels. Following a mid-career decline, he rediscovered box-office success with The Expendables (2010) and earned critical acclaim for reviving the Rocky franchise with Creed (2015), garnering his first Golden Globe win and another Oscar nomination.

Whether you actually like either of them or not, there is no doubt they are  both extremely talented and successful.

Are you seriously saying that Stallone is a talented actor??? I certainly would not say that body building is talented.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry, I disagree. I do agree he has limited range. But he was great in all of the Rocky films, and he was great in all of the Rambo films. Nobody is saying he is a classically trained actor, and sure, you have to like his style. I guess being an ex New Yorker, I relate to his street style! Personally, I have always liked his acting, and many of his films. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Are you seriously saying that Stallone is a talented actor??? I certainly would not say that body building is talented.

Seems you just look for any excuse to besmirch anyone you dont like, despite them having proven success in their chosen field. That's sad.

4 hours ago, The Cobra said:

....they are both extremely successful....

There.

Fixed it for ya.

Missed the talented bit out.

2 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Seems you just look for any excuse to besmirch anyone you dont like, despite them having proven success in their chosen field. That's sad.

if anyone has success in their chosen field, it doesn't always mean that they are talented, surely Stallone and his pal Arnie are proof of that.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

if anyone has success in their chosen field, it doesn't always mean that they are talented, surely Stallone and his pal Arnie are proof of that.

Not the case. Stallone is very talented at what he does. He won an oscar for his screenplay. Does that mean nothing to you? He directed four of the Rocky films. How difficult do you think it might be to direct yourself in a film? Just curious. How many oscars have you won? Or perhaps you have won a Pulitzer, or a Peabody award? A recognition for great scientific achievement? Arnie is a great comedian. He is a very funny guy. And he was great in the Terminator franchise, among others. Knock em down. Does not mean a thing to us. 

Archived