English bookstores in Udon Thani?

Alex Teo

Hi guys. Will be in Udon for a few days in July at the start of my three week Isaan tour.  Wonder if there are any English bookstores in town with a good selection. 

When in BKK,  I usually head to Asia Books or Kinokuniya, FYI .

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if there's any sizeable English book content at the Udon outlets of Asia Books but worth a try. Otherwise, there's a restaurant called Fuzzy Ken's that's been the go-to place for avid farang book readers for a long time. It's near Central shopping plaza. Breakfasts are supposed to be decent and a good place to meet and chat with some of the farang 'lifers' as well.

My god man, this is 2019! have you not heard of Kindle...can be reached and downloaded from any tablet, phone, desktop or Kindle reader from anywhere in the world.  Yes, I know, you're probably old school...

Asia Book Store, bottom floor of the Central Shopping Plaza, has a good selection.  But I have to echo mosan's comment about Kindle (or a suitable Android that can do Kindle).  Downloading a book from Amazon....anywhere, anytime.....for a third of the price of Asia Book

Sorry, just to bring you all up to speed FuzzyKens was opposite Central Plaza, he then moved to opposite the bus station but has moved again and is now at the back of The Paradise Hotel 

The Soi is not named but any tuk tuk driver will take you to the hotel so if you walk past it 50 metres and turn right Fuzzy’s is 30 metres down that Soi 

And NanLaew is correct the breakfast is good

3 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Try Fuzzy Ken’s cafe, bar and bookstore behind The Paradise Hotel, 

Looked like he had closed and a for sale sign up when i was in Udon last week ......or has he moved again ?

Edit: just seen your update. Cheers. 

3 hours ago, mosan said:

My god man, this is 2019! have you not heard of Kindle...can be reached and downloaded from any tablet, phone, desktop or Kindle reader from anywhere in the world.  Yes, I know, you're probably old school...

haha, i'm not that old but, in your eyes, old school, and proud(!), there's just something about holding a real book. i tried kindle and never liked it, many friends who swore by kindle have resorted to being old school. in recent years in the uk sales of kindle and downloads have slowed and book sales increased. everyone to their own.

3 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Sorry, just to bring you all up to speed FuzzyKens was opposite Central Plaza, he then moved to opposite the bus station but has moved again and is now at the back of The Paradise Hotel 

The Soi is not named but any tuk tuk driver will take you to the hotel so if you walk past it 50 metres and turn right Fuzzy’s is 30 metres down that Soi 

And NanLaew is correct the breakfast is good

Sorry to be pedantic, as Ken would have been...lol, it is at the side of the Paradise, not behind, and to the left facing the front. Otherwise Janner1 your directions are spot on.

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

haha, i'm not that old but, in your eyes, old school, and proud(!), there's just something about holding a real book. i tried kindle and never liked it, many friends who swore by kindle have resorted to being old school. in recent years in the uk sales of kindle and downloads have slowed and book sales increased. everyone to their own.

The other issue is the sheer weight of books in your suitcase. I use a Kindle App on my iPad mini for both books and magazines that I subscribe to. So I carry about over 100 books in one device. It’s the only way to go for a traveller. I like real books, but they can only be accommodated in a fixed house location. 

Archived