Importing car parts - taxes, duty fees etc

I am looking to import assorted parts for a car I am building up and trying to find out roughly how much I should expect as import charges and if it may be worth using an import agent for some of the larger items.

Not 100% sure yet exactly what I will be importing as there may be some of the items may be already available in Thailand, a work in progress finding out that is proceeding slowly. But if I have a rough idea of import costs, then will make it a bit easier to decide if I import or pay high local prices.

For example of some of the items I am looking at with the costs associated getting them to BKK Thailand:  Chev 350CI Gen 1 rebuilt USD2,500, Chev 4L60/700R4 transmission rebuilt, USD2300.  Edelbrock  fuel injection system new USD2200.

Interestingly the fuel injection system quoted approximately 21% for tax/duty, which is included in the cost shown.

So is the number 21% or depends on item or the mood of the customs guy.  Anyone with experience?

Cheers

It's is supposed to be 20 - 30% depending on the part (used), not sure about new parts? Ah the mood of the customs guy..... You need a customs broker with connections to negotiate (bribe) these guys. The amount they charge is different every time.... amazing Thailand.

If you find a way let me know, Da Roadrunner wants to import a used engine from England.

My own experience is, importing 5000 Bahts worth of spares for a Jeep Wrangler from The States, DHL charged me 6000 Baht tax, before they would hand over. In future  had parts shipped from The States USPS, for The Wrangler and my Audi ,either 7% charged or no import charges at all. On The face of it, DHL and Fedex the actual shipping costs were cheaper but in the end you end up paying through the nose.

Avoid like the plague.

Regards

Tom

8 hours ago, tomtaylor1 said:

My own experience is, importing 5000 Bahts worth of spares for a Jeep Wrangler from The States, DHL charged me 6000 Baht tax, before they would hand over. In future  had parts shipped from The States USPS, for The Wrangler and my Audi ,either 7% charged or no import charges at all. On The face of it, DHL and Fedex the actual shipping costs were cheaper but in the end you end up paying through the nose.

Avoid like the plague.

Regards

Tom

Don't think I can get a whole engine and gearbox through USPS! Can't quite see Somchai the postman getting it on his bike either!

What you need for this game is a friend at Thai airport cargo, entire place runs on corruption.

Also everything is charged per CIF, so it's even more ridiculous; remember cheaper shipping = far less tariff

in theory ASEAN countries, plus China, Oz, NZ get really good deal by FTA, but dunno if they require a form e or something... and selection from these countries are very limited.

It looks like I will be sourcing locally on the engine and transmission as have found something in Thailand with papers.  It will no doubt need some work, but I can bring in smaller parts on my travels, so should not be a big problem, especially as some of the guys I work with are from the US.  Other parts I will probably get shipped to Australia where I will know the charges in advance and just bring back as luggage.  I got my box of bits xrayed last month when arriving back in Thailand.  All sorts of tools and things and not a problem, so I guess tools were not on the hit list for the day.

There is a guy I know who imported an engine from the UK, I should see him in about 4 weeks and will ask how he did it.

The feedback I am getting is it is probably best to use an import agent if big dollars and they will more than cover their fee with savings on variable customs charges.  It appears that under the harmonized system of tariffs it should be 20% import duty on parts, which sort of lines up with one price I got that quoted import duty.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Litlos said:

There is a guy I know who imported an engine from the UK, I should see him in about 4 weeks and will ask how he did it.

Da Roadrunner appreciates your help. PM me anytime if you get a response. Thanks.

Archived