Actress Usamanee among those in trouble for endorsing substandard products

snoop1130

Actress Usamanee among those in trouble for endorsing substandard products

By Jessada Chantharak 
The Nation

b06cdba3cd6221cce95eeeb4d2519251.jpeg

Thai actress Usamanee "Kwan" Waitayanon on Tuesday acknowledged the charges linking her to the promotion of unlicensed and substandard skincare and food supplements under the “Magic Skin” brand.

The actress, accompanied by her lawyer, met National Police deputy chief General Weerachai Songmetta to hear the charge filed by police for allegedly exaggerating the qualities of the product when promoting “Mezzo Serum”, an act that was deemed as a violation of the Cosmetics Act 2015.

Usamanee was among five celebrities who were scheduled to meet police on Tuesday. A total of 13 celebrities have been summoned to hear charges between June 11 and 13 in relation to the promotion of this product. 

The other four celebrities scheduled to meet police on Tuesday were: singer Kanokchat "Typhoon KPN" Munyad-on who promised to show up later in the day; actress Sutatta "Pun-pun" Udomsilp who is away on an overseas trip; radio host Wichian "DJ Petjah" Kusolmanomai and his singer/actress wife Hansa Jungviwattanawong, who have sought to postpone their meeting to Thursday. 

These celebrities are facing charges in relation to complaints filed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) against 10 Thai celebrities for violating the 2015 Cosmetics Act by falsely promoting the “Mezzo Serum”, and against three others for violating the 1979 Food Act by exaggerating the qualities of “Slim Milk” and “Fern Ceo”. An additional 24 celebrities are under FDA scrutiny for similar offences. 

Previously, 17 celebrities were found guilty for falsely endorsing products and were each fined up to Bt5,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370900

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-11

What ain't substandard in Thailand.i can't even get a decent bog roll.if I have to buy something like a mop and bucket I inspect it like I was buying a used Mercedes from the dealership.anything with moving parts gets even more scrutinised.in the uk we get cheap Chinese crap but I think Thailand gets the rejected Chinese crap.

Just normal celebrity advertising practice around the world. Just because a minor celebrity endorses a product doesn't mean the product works as advertised. 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So they're getting 100,000 baht (at a guess) for endorsing such products and for the cost of a mere 5000 baht fine they get further publicity...  Hardly a strong preventative message being sent out !!!

It's a long standing joke.

Making fake claims is very profitable in Thailand and the average Thai consumer is an easy mark. Like taking candy from a baby.

14 hours ago, happy chappie said:

What ain't substandard in Thailand.i can't even get a decent bog roll.if I have to buy something like a mop and bucket I inspect it like I was buying a used Mercedes from the dealership.anything with moving parts gets even more scrutinised.in the uk we get cheap Chinese crap but I think Thailand gets the rejected Chinese crap.

Sorry to bust your bubble but one of the reasons Chinese come here is to buy good products, they do not trust made in China

3 hours ago, snowgard said:

How can a model check beforehand if the company which has ordered she / him for a shoot sells their products legally?

Unbelievable STUPID!!!

you are one of few who makes sense

if you are a model / actor or whatever you probably don't have chemical lab at home to test whether the products you promote are 100% ... that's what the FDA and other authorities are for

7 hours ago, moe666 said:

Sorry to bust your bubble but one of the reasons Chinese come here is to buy good products, they do not trust made in China

And there was me thinking they come on zero dollar tours,stampede buffets,do their washing in the bathroom sink.theyve got quality written all over themselves.as for trust I don't think any Asians trust each other in the slightest.ive built 4 properties in Thailand and you have to pay big money to get a quality product that would be of uk standard.

Archived