Brazil Supreme Court rules homophobia a crime

webfact

Brazil Supreme Court rules homophobia a crime

2019-06-14T004735Z_1_LYNXNPEF5D01W_RTROPTP_4_BRAZIL-POLITICS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Soldiers of the presidential guard with the Supreme Court building in the background stand at Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil May 11, 2016. REUTERS/Adriano Machado/File Photo

SAO PAULO (Reuters) - The Brazilian Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that homophobia should be criminalised under existing legislation until Congress creates a specific law for the subject, weighing in on a topic that has drawn the ire of President Jair Bolsonaro.

Eight of 11 justices voted to treat homophobia in the same way as racism under Brazilian law, making it a criminal act.

"Sexual orientation and gender identity are essential to human beings, to the self-determination to decide their own life and seek happiness," Justice Gilmar Mendes said, according to the court's Twitter account.

During the court's deliberations last month, as it became clear that most justices would rule in favour of criminalising homophobia, Bolsonaro strongly criticized the court. He accused the justices of legislating from the bench and suggested it was time to appoint an evangelical Christian to the Supreme court.

Evangelicals and other socially conservative Brazilians helped Bolsonaro win last year's election as he promised to overturn years of liberal social policies, including more rights for same-sex couples.

Bolsonaro, a Catholic who was baptized by an evangelical pastor on a trip to Israel three years ago, had a history of making homophobic, racist and sexist public remarks before he took office in Jan. 1 He told one interviewer he would rather have a dead son than a gay son.

(Reporting by Eduardo Simões in Sao Paulo; Writing by Gabriela Mello; editing by Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-14

So if you are approached for sex...and use unsavory language to tell the gay person where to go...you are now committing a crime in Brazil?

Can't wait to see the first arrest!

Are you hit on alot that way? You might consider deactivating your Grindr profile.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

Phobia is defined as a mental illness. So having a mental illness now becomes a crime, in selected cases. Call out the Thought Police!

Just like xenophobia or, as you might say, racism. You may well define a phobia as a mental illness but the rest of the universe knows that a phobia is just an irrational fear of something. That may apply to spiders (arachnaphobia), beards (pogonophobia) or even everything (panphobia). It is not a mental illness.

Ridiculous. The world is going mad. Crimes are things that you exercise some sort of free will to execute....havong a phobia about anything including gays is not a choice of free will.

I am an older man with some traditional older man news, and I will admit that I dislike what now seems to be the obligatory scenes in soap operas and dramas on UK television showing two men necking. I have no beef with gays but I don't want to see it on my TV screen. I find it offensive.

37 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Ridiculous. The world is going mad. Crimes are things that you exercise some sort of free will to execute....havong a phobia about anything including gays is not a choice of free will.

Yes, and pedophilia also is an illness that people have against their free will, but once they act on their feelings we want it to be punished. You are still free to dislike gays, don’t worry; unless you act on your feelings you won’t be punished. 

37 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I am an older man with some traditional older man news, and I will admit that I dislike what now seems to be the obligatory scenes in soap operas and dramas on UK television showing two men necking. I have no beef with gays but I don't want to see it on my TV screen. I find it offensive.

I find you offensive. 

Perhaps flagrant displays of heterosexuality may be offensive?? Do we need to see that on TV all the time>>

Join the 21st Century, open invitation

Phobia is defined as a mental illness. So having a mental illness now becomes a crime, in selected cases. Call out the Thought Police!

•  
    A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous.
  • n.
    A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
  • n.
    Any morbid uncontrollable dread or fear.

Homophobes generally are not afraid, just ignorant a>>>holes 

People misunderstood the actual definition of homophobia because of the root word.

It's actually more than that. It's about hatred.

No country is going to ever prosecute hateful thoughts. But some will go after hateful discrimination, actions, and violence.

To understand the actual real life implications of the ruling in Brazil I suppose you'd need to know their legal system and language.

Considering how viciously homophobic their current leader is even a symbolic ruling like this even if it has no actual teeth is encouraging to all people of good will and supporters of human rights.

8 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

It  does beg the  question. Discrimination is one thing. Phobia is another.

The problem is the false generalization of discrimination incorporating "phobic".

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

People misunderstood the actual definition of homophobia because of the root word.

No country is going to ever prosecute hateful thoughts. But some will go after hateful discrimination, actions, and violence.

To understand the actual real life implications of the ruling in Brazil I suppose you'd need to know their legal system and language.

Considering how viciously homophobic their current leader is even a symbolic ruling like this even if it has no actual teeth is encouraging to all people of good will and supporters of human rights.

Not to mention the number of gay men bashed and murdered there, and also the "curative rapes " of lesbians.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Why does it have to involve "hatred"? Objection or rejection which can be discriminatory is not necessarily  hate is it?

5 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Why does it have to involve "hatred"? Objection or rejection which can be discriminatory is not necessarily  hate is it?

When people are being incited to harm and commit acts of violence, that seems to be hatred.

All people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect , and this may require  legislation to begin to protect a persons right to safety.

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

When people are being incited to harm and commit acts of violence, that seems to be hatred.

All people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect , and this may require  legislation to begin to protect a persons right to safety.

I agree... All people.

Understand that I am ambivalent to people of chosen gender association with a proviso. That proviso is that I retain  my right to object to some of the personal behaviors of some of them even if that be as a part of they way they present. No more or less  than I have similar objection to the macho behaviors  of  some heterosexual  grasping idiots .

I have family members, friends, associates past and present who present as alternative gender or prefer same gender as partners. I once worked in an office complex as a single hetero male with 16 lesbians.

Who do think was a victim in that scenario with no legislative rights to object? On the only occasion I  made mention of "reversed" discrimination I was  vilified for my apparent wrong.

That aside I am thinking that specific legislation for a specific sector in addition to the general legislations against discrimination on all and any grounds is a distortion that should be averted  by the effective implementation of existing  law. I do realize that that may seem less achievable but in reality a Court should  first find that to be the imperative in the interests  of  all people rather than a specific sector.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not to mention the number of gay men bashed and murdered there, and also the "curative rapes " of lesbians.

once a gay friend suggested i get the same, a "curative rape" to fix my problem. i knew he was kidding

Archived