Tiny bulletproof vests centrepiece of New York art exhibit on school shootings

webfact

Tiny bulletproof vests centrepiece of New York art exhibit on school shootings

By Roselle Chen

2019-06-17T202722Z_1_LYNXNPEF5G1RY_RTROPTP_4_USA-GUNS-ART.JPG

A mannequin is seen wearing a bullet proof vest as part of an art installation by artist WhIsBe titled "Back to School Shopping" to illustrate the dangers of gun violence in schools, at a gallery in New York City, U.S., June 17, 2019. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rows of tiny bullet-proof vests hang on clothing racks and "safety defence" lunchboxes adorn the walls. It looks like an apparel store -- almost.

But the "Back to School Shopping" art installation by the artist WhIsBe is a commentary on U.S. mass school shootings, intended to raise the question: How long before life imitates art?

The child-sized bulletproof vests are adorned with cartoon characters Pikachu, Care Bears and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, while the lunch boxes are filled with replica guns, Tasers and brass knuckles. The exhibit, in warehouse-style space in the heart of Manhattan's Chelsea neighbourhood, also features a game arcade claw machine filled with brightly coloured cap guns.

The artist, whose nom de plume WhIsBe stands for "What is Beauty," is aiming for a gut-punching reaction to an exhibit that he hopes will spur action to combat school shootings.

"The reactions are full spectrum from shock to upset to being angry, but not angry at what I'm doing, angry at the stark fact that this could be a reality," the artist, who does not reveal his real name, said in an interview on Monday.

U.S. schools have been rocked by a steady stream of shootings in the nearly two decades since the Columbine High School massacre that killed 13 people in 1999. A growing national campaign by young people to tackle gun violence and toughen laws on firearms sales has turned up the volume of the debate over guns in America, where the right to bear arms is protected under the Second Amendment of the Constitution.

Since 1970, there have been more than 1,300 incidents of gun violence at schools in the United States, according to the K-12 School Shooting Database maintained by the Naval Postgraduate School's Center for Homeland Defense and Security.

The art exhibit, located in the Starrett-Lehigh Building in Chelsea, runs through June 30.

"I'm hoping that people are going to experience a different visceral reaction that will maybe change their thoughts about the matter into provoking them into action," WhIsBe said.

(Reporting by Roselle Chen; Additional reporting by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-18

I think this illustrates, rightly or wrongly, how "sick" American society is becoming when bullet proof vests are being displayed as an object for school clothing at an art exhibition when so many US children have been murdered in their schools.

What a great idea, send our kids to school in bullet proof vests, never thought I would be alive to hear or see that, how ridiculous, just amend the constitution and get real about getting rid of everyone having rights to bearing arms. 

Regardless of what the politicians spit out, deaths would be reduced, just look at Australia after the Port Phillip massacre, but then again the Yanks will want to change it, if not, well, no skin of off my nose. 

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

The artist is making a statement of the sad fact that our leadership isent willing to give law inforcment the tools (laws)to do the job of keeping the guns away from the nut jobs

No such thing as this artist "making a statement".   The only point of this artist to exhibit is to sell their creation(s) and make money. At the expense of very many murdered children.

Just now, geoffbezoz said:

No such thing as this artist "making a statement".   The only point of this artist to exhibit is to sell their creation(s) and make money. At the expense of very many murdered children.

Nope I disagree that being said it sure got your attention I would say it’s mission accomplished for the artist(mine as well)

40 minutes ago, ezzra said:

What's next? small handguns to suit children, something not too big not too heavy easy to use painted in eye catching colors? this is the future of America folks...  

THey already make rifles for children in the US. Many bright colours including pink for the girls.

One was used by a 5 year old to kill his 2 year old sister.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/05/crickett-rifle-marketing-kids/

Image result for crickett rifles .22lr

Archived