Which Type Of Visa For A Tefl Course?

Hi,

I'm coming to LOS in May to do a month long TEFL with IH in Chiang Mai. I'm going to be in Thailand for a month before the course to do some travelling then after the course I'd like to stay and find a job. What I want to know is which type of visa it is best to come in on. I was thinking about a non-imm 'ED' visa, as I'm coming to do a course, but is that easilt transferred to a 'B' when I find a job? I'm coming from the UK, does any one know of an embassy or consulate in the Uk that will grant a B without an employment letter? From reading the posts, it seems as though the authorities are clamping down on illegal workers and I'd hate to come in on the wrong visa then find it impossible to find a job! Any info anyone could give me to help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Hi,

I'm coming to LOS in May to do a month long TEFL with IH in Chiang Mai. I'm going to be in Thailand for a month before the course to do some travelling then after the course I'd like to stay and find a job. What I want to know is which type of visa it is best to come in on. I was thinking about a non-imm 'ED' visa, as I'm coming to do a course, but is that easilt transferred to a 'B' when I find a job? I'm coming from the UK, does any one know of an embassy or consulate in the Uk that will grant a B without an employment letter? From reading the posts, it seems as though the authorities are clamping down on illegal workers and I'd hate to come in on the wrong visa then find it impossible to find a job! Any info anyone could give me to help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Just come on a 60day tourist visa. By the time that expires you will have finished your course. Then get another 30 day tourist visa giving you enough time to get a job.

Usual procedure is

Apply for 60 days tourist visa in the U.K. Do your course & get a job offer + paperwork from a school. Leave for a neighbouring country (Laos or Malaysia) to get a single entry Non-B visa.

Then you have all the "fun" of getting a work permit after that. Plenty to look forward to :o.

Or, if you can obtain a sponsor letter from your TEFL provider (IH) and you obtain a police clearance (Subject Access Form in the UK), you can obtain a multi-entry non-imm B or ED before departure. A non-imm is the first step in becoming legal, allows you to open a bank account, own a motorbike and the multi-entry allows a stay of up to 15 months.

Edited by Loaded

Or, if you can obtain a sponsor letter from your TEFL provider (IH) and you obtain a police clearance (Subject Access Form in the UK), you can obtain a multi-entry non-imm B or ED before departure. A non-imm is the first step in becoming legal, allows you to open a bank account....

Bank account not anymore ! need a Work permit nowadays.....

I will vote with Loaded on the bank account, bike, etc., being doable (at least up north, where we live) without a work permit.

Of course, the B or ED visa will only 'last' up to nearly 15 months if it's a one-year, multiple entry. And, as Loaded mentioned, the UK consulates and embassy want that police check, which is easy enough to get in-country.

Traditionally, some TEFL courses have provided rather extensive help or advice in obtaining the longer range visas before you leave your home country, and at other times.

VickyD, if we can't answer your most specific visa questions in the teaching forum, feel free to tell one of the moderators, and we can transfer the discussion to the Thai Visa special forum, or we can close this topic so you can open a new, more specific question in the visa forum.

Good luck....especially if you plan to stay in Chiang Mai and teach legally.

If you're coming to Thailand to teach after you've done your TEFL be sure to have proof of your Bachelor's Degree since it's now a requirement they are enforcing. The TEFL qualification is of little use here without it if you want to stay legal.

Edited by Greenside