Rural land ownership

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge on this ....

My thai partners parents have a rural farm and to my knowledge they do not have proper title.... as do many of the families in rural villages in Thailand.

Since the military government got in they live in fear of loosing there land where they grow there rice etc etc for a living.

From my information the land purchases in these areas are all done via the head in the village... probably with kick backs no doubt.

There seems to be never ending village meetings about the land use and what they should.... so one day the government may grant them proper title on there land.

Just recently my partner said she sent some money to her parents ( as she always does and we live 100kms from there) but this time it was for them to buy a few hundred mango and coconut trees to plant on the land.

Obviously I asked why.... response was that her parents were told by the ranger there that if they planted trees they would be seen on the satellite images of the area and that might help them in the future to gain title to the land.

Other villages are now doing the same.

I of course couldn’t see how this was going to make a difference and what right has some ranger got to further put fear into these people as it seems to be an on going thing.

I am not sure what the future holds for these poor farmers to obtain proper titles as the news of such has dried up....if the Thais cant get proper answers what chance has a farlang got.

Your thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The military are very active on this. Recently I heard a story about a lady using around 100 rai of land without a proper chanotte. The end of the story was that after a court case she lost all the land and was jailed for a period of 4 years.

Planting now may be too late as investigations are going on already for a long time and everything is known already to the authorities.

Best not to think too much about Thais and Thai problems.
Not your land and never will be, so who cares.
Does she worry about your VISA for next year?

Agree... not my real problem.
Her parents were hoping to leave it to the grand kids ( our children ) one day as most parents in any Country would probably think like wise.
My kids probably don’t need it and I have told the parents so.
If I put myself in there shoes as I would probably be fighting and obeying the law or whatever to do the same as they are very supportive and would like to bring something to the table.
I told my partner to tell them to continue to do what they normally do.... but it’s the threat of loosing it if they don’t agree to these rangers whims and often demands.
Was just putting it out there if any one has similar issues.
I guess you don’t.
I like you and many others on this forum are very cynical about the changes to our visas at play.... little as some of the issues are.
My partner does care about the visa issues... she does understand why the sudden change of heart in expats living here and like what’s happening to her own family... believes it just a money grab.
Plus the crap that’s been brought up about her having to report me and my family coming and going all of a sudden after 9 years....as do some of our friends ... the immigration office is putting the blame on Thais for a job there not doing.
I told her I am nothing more than a long term tourist.
Government is in favor of Chinese... don’t get her started on that.
I have opened her eyes to what’s happening and she also doesn’t like it.
So believe it or not there is Thais out there that take on board what’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1