Advice needed on Customs - medicine/medical device found in package

Matt199

Hi guys,

My girlfriend shipped her suitcase with personal belongings to Thailand via UPS. It looks like there were some items that are not easy to clear. I received this from UPS:

I’d like to informed you that after opened your package (“bill of sight” process), there found a lot of things are not match with invoice showed.

Especially, packages have included a kind of medicine and Waterpulse Water Fossal, which restricted by Thai customs regulations.

Pls note, UPS cannot do customs clearance for medicine, and the doctor certificate is required for Waterpulse Water Fossal.    

Another way, you have to find out the alternate agent (non-UPS) to run customs clearing for this shipment.

Thanks. *Attached.

Can anyone recommend what to do? Is it possible to ask customs to destroy the questionable items? If not, does anyone know what would be easiest and cheapest way moving forward? On top of all the customs clearance I will be charged 200 THB per day for storing items so I'm looking for a quick solution as well!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but there was a similar topic here a while back.

Thanks,

Matt

1 minute ago, Matt199 said:

That is also very bizarre to me, especially since UPS does not want to deal with the parcel. Otherwise I would have thought they just want to overcharge...

She should have include a strap-on and a few other toys, as they seem to have no problem getting into Thailand.

This is absoluetely typical of what happens when a courier like UPS, Fedex, etc is used and why you should always ship by regular post for anything other than documents.

You have 2 options:
1. Decline the shipment
2. Go to customs and clear it yourself. Good chance once they see you and realuze these are just items for personal use they'll let it through (has worked for me in the past but of course no guarantee).

Couriers are used to working for commercial businesses and customs assume that anything they are involved in is for commercial use. Courier services here are both unused to, and uninterested in, expats bringing in things for personal use...and will have failed to represent you as such in their discussions with Customs.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I had a medical device rejected at customs but I was able to get a medical letter from my doctor (costs 500 Baht at medconsult clinic) to show that I needed the device (with a diagnosis from my doctor).

Gave it back to customs and got device released!!

Hope this helps.