More Killings In Southern Thailand

Mid

This is about Islamism. Nothing else...

Separatism. For ages they've been fighting for the Kingdom of Pattani.

When you say "nothing else" you deny their nationalism. Islam is a big part of it, of course, but there's also a claim to the land, they also have their separate language and their own traditions, and their own version of history.

They don't want to be Malaysians, btw.

I'm sorry but I think you are wrong!!

Why did the insurgents kick off after almost 200 years of relative peace and stability??Why.. because of the likes of Al-Qaeda and Jemaah Islamiyah.

The excuse is the separatism, the reality is Islamism.

Don't be fooled by any other rhetoric.

"after almost 200 years of relative peace and stability??"

Did you just arrive on planet earth this week? I believe you have missed a few wars, uprisings, student movements, genocides and even communism. Can you show evidence of 200 years of peace anywhere on earth for that matter?

I couldn't name a place thats had peace for more than 15 minutes.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Things aren't always as black and white as some would have you to believe.

Link to article in the Nation

Mai Krap

I find it hard to tell wether you are genuinely concerned about the the spin being put on the problems in the south by the likes of analyst Dr. Abuza and others, or are you just another yellow belly apologist for the Islamists in Pattani!

You offer much to debate, but really all you end up doing is confusing the issue by clouding disparate problems, and like the islamists you try to make one problem seem to be something else. Your anti-spin of the situation in Pattani seems to come from some innate sense that only you are right and no one outside of the area could possibly see things more clearly and objectively than you yourself. I can't say this is a very wise stand to take, as it often is the case that an objective view is needed more than a "gut" view from those such as yourself. It is all too easy to become entrenched in local everday life to see above the troubles and the effect they have.

I can see from way over here in the UK, that the troubles in Pattani are not getting any better, but they most definitely are polarising, and thay are doing so across religious divides. This is about Islamism. Nothing else...

Islamic factions have had very great success in getting what they want through violence over the past 60 years, and they have learned to be vigilant and never ceasing in moving towards what it is they want, a total Islamic state. Violence in Islam has become an acceptable tool, it has become accepted as the will of god, why else would these Islamists be on such a ludicrous quest.?

If you cannot accept that this violence has it's root in Islam and that a peaceful outcome to this without massive counter violence on the part of the Thai government is possible, then you severely misunderstand the iron will of these Islamists in their determination to bring about the changes they want to impose on all those in the area.

You said it all when you said you were in the UK. I am in all likelihood the leading American expert on Islam in Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. I have spent more time with these people than any other westerner including a 2 year investigation into the so called Cambodian/Thailand Terrorist Connection which I concluded was total bull Shitt. For most who remember, shortly after Hambali was arrested in Ayutthaya there was a crackdown on Muslims in Cambodia sponsored and financed by the good people who brought us the Vietnam War. Many Muslim teachers were rounded up and deported and the shells of what were once schools are now just another desperate promise shattered by office workers who in far away climate controlled environments have tried and convicted men they have never met and did what Ronald Reagen would have never done. That is supply the Hun Sen government with millions of dollars to victimize the Chams who survived both Henry Kissinger's illegal carpet bombing and the genocidal maniac Brother Number One.

Ronald Reagen did spend untold millions keeping the Khmer Rouge in power though for one reason, his belief that the enemy of my enemy is my friend which is far from taking the moral high ground, the direction I try to stay in within these musings. The Muslims of Central Thailand only want peace in the South and a little sense of justice concerning disappeared Muslims like Somchai who is the most well known case. However the Southern Muslims have been pushed over the line and no longer support the government as it exists there now. While there is much sympathy throughout the Muslims communities I can assure you the Muslims I know are busy working 16 or more hours a day to put food into the mouths of their children when they are not praying and have no time for such luxury as war which is reserved for politicians, their bean counters, and pawns until they manipulate the situation to the point that food is disrupted. Thats when things get interesting or like we say back home, "Get to the nut cutting", Have a nice day.

Mai Krap,

First of all, it makes no sense to cite credentials in the envornment, where it is impossible to verify them. Secondly,

even if we accept your credentials, can you also claim that you are leading expert on JI, rebelion on Mindanao, Chechen republic, Kashmire, Al Qaeda and various wahabist movements etc etc . If you are, I am all ears. If not,

well, a lot of what you are saying makes sense historically but the situation on the ground in Thailand changed drastically during last several years. There is a lot of information available in open publications about these changes. You seem to completely ignore it. Here are some very obvious examples: how typical would it be for traditional muslims in deep South to boycott Israeli and American goods? Wear JI outfits ? Behead innocent buddist monks? Set up Al-Qaeda stile simaltaneous attacks? Promote wahabist ideology through the University funded and staffed by Saudi Arabia? I can go on and on...

Somehow does not either fit your scheme or your qualifications...

Edited by mumbu

Mai Krap

I find it hard to tell wether you are genuinely concerned about the the spin being put on the problems in the south by the likes of analyst Dr. Abuza and others, or are you just another yellow belly apologist for the Islamists in Pattani!

You offer much to debate, but really all you end up doing is confusing the issue by clouding disparate problems, and like the islamists you try to make one problem seem to be something else. Your anti-spin of the situation in Pattani seems to come from some innate sense that only you are right and no one outside of the area could possibly see things more clearly and objectively than you yourself. I can't say this is a very wise stand to take, as it often is the case that an objective view is needed more than a "gut" view from those such as yourself. It is all too easy to become entrenched in local everday life to see above the troubles and the effect they have.

I can see from way over here in the UK, that the troubles in Pattani are not getting any better, but they most definitely are polarising, and thay are doing so across religious divides. This is about Islamism. Nothing else...

Islamic factions have had very great success in getting what they want through violence over the past 60 years, and they have learned to be vigilant and never ceasing in moving towards what it is they want, a total Islamic state. Violence in Islam has become an acceptable tool, it has become accepted as the will of god, why else would these Islamists be on such a ludicrous quest.?

If you cannot accept that this violence has it's root in Islam and that a peaceful outcome to this without massive counter violence on the part of the Thai government is possible, then you severely misunderstand the iron will of these Islamists in their determination to bring about the changes they want to impose on all those in the area.

You said it all when you said you were in the UK. I am in all likelihood the leading American expert on Islam in Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. I have spent more time with these people than any other westerner including a 2 year investigation into the so called Cambodian/Thailand Terrorist Connection which I concluded was total bull Shitt. For most who remember, shortly after Hambali was arrested in Ayutthaya there was a crackdown on Muslims in Cambodia sponsored and financed by the good people who brought us the Vietnam War. Many Muslim teachers were rounded up and deported and the shells of what were once schools are now just another desperate promise shattered by office workers who in far away climate controlled environments have tried and convicted men they have never met and did what Ronald Reagen would have never done. That is supply the Hun Sen government with millions of dollars to victimize the Chams who survived both Henry Kissinger's illegal carpet bombing and the genocidal maniac Brother Number One.

Ronald Reagen did spend untold millions keeping the Khmer Rouge in power though for one reason, his belief that the enemy of my enemy is my friend which is far from taking the moral high ground, the direction I try to stay in within these musings. The Muslims of Central Thailand only want peace in the South and a little sense of justice concerning disappeared Muslims like Somchai who is the most well known case. However the Southern Muslims have been pushed over the line and no longer support the government as it exists there now. While there is much sympathy throughout the Muslims communities I can assure you the Muslims I know are busy working 16 or more hours a day to put food into the mouths of their children when they are not praying and have no time for such luxury as war which is reserved for politicians, their bean counters, and pawns until they manipulate the situation to the point that food is disrupted. Thats when things get interesting or like we say back home, "Get to the nut cutting", Have a nice day.

Mai Krap,

First of all, it makes no sense to cite credentials in the envornment, where it is impossible to verify them. Secondly,

even if we accept your credentials, can you also claim that you are leading expert on JI, rebelion on Mindanao, Chechen republic, Kashmire, Al Qaeda and various wahabist movements etc etc . If you are, I am all ears. If not,

well, a lot of what you are saying makes sense historically but the situation on the ground in Thailand changed drastically during last several years. There is a lot of information available in open publications about these changes. You seem to completely ignore it. Here are some very obvious examples: how typical would it be for traditional muslims in deep South to boycott Israeli and American goods? Wear JI outfits ? Behead innocent buddist monks? Set up Al-Qaeda stile simaltaneous attacks? Promote wahabist ideology through the University funded and staffed by Saudi Arabia? I can go on and on...

You can believe me or take a piss on me, either way I'm not bothered. Since I'm not a paid writer here on this forum I'm under no obligation to provide anyone with credentials. I just made a few comments because I was referred to as a possible yellow bellied apologist, which is not what I see when I look in the mirror.

I like the way you and others suggest that I may be unqualified to comment about a subject I deal with on a daily basis about people who I know well here in Thailand then you go all international and Salafi "wahabi"are devils on us. Let me ask you this? Why would any Thai Muslim buy anything from Israel or America? Would you actually know the difference between say a Salaf or a Sufi if you met them on the street? I rather doubt it, Do you know any of these people? Have you ever been to their homes? Met their wives? Know their children by name? Have any idea what they are about? Or do you as Dr. Abuza comment from one side of the fence having never even entered the no mans land you established in your mind, beyond which lay only evil, evil which may exist only in your head.

This entire situation is a ongoing tragedy but one that nobody in power "Government" tried to put the brakes on when you could see the wreck coming from a mile away. What will be the end result? Im not sure but I believe the situation will only get worse unless you bring some people to account on the government side and that just ain't going to happen.

Two blasts in Pattani, resulting in 1 death and 5 injuries

The southern violence ceases to subdue as insurgents detonated two bombs when police and army officers were patrolling Pattani province this morning (Mar 30). The blasts resulted in one death and five injuries.

According to the investigation, two army officers were riding a motorcycle while patrolling tambon Por Ming in Panare district of Pattani. However, the insurgents hid a bomb on a road and later triggered it with a remote control when the motorcycle crossed the path. The incident caused one injury.

Another blast occurred nearly at the same time in tambon Sa Kor Tai in Mayo district of Pattani when five police officers were riding a vehicle to survey different areas. The blast killed one officer and injured four others.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 March 2007

Mai Krap

Mai Krap,

You can believe me or take a piss on me, either way I'm not bothered. Since I'm not a paid writer here on this forum I'm under no obligation to provide anyone with credentials. I just made a few comments because I was referred to as a possible yellow bellied apologist, which is not what I see when I look in the mirror.

I like the way you and others suggest that I may be unqualified to comment about a subject I deal with on a daily basis about people who I know well here in Thailand then you go all international and Salafi "wahabi"are devils on us. Let me ask you this? Why would any Thai Muslim buy anything from Israel or America? Would you actually know the difference between say a Salaf or a Sufi if you met them on the street? I rather doubt it, Do you know any of these people? Have you ever been to their homes? Met their wives? Know their children by name? Have any idea what they are about? Or do you as Dr. Abuza comment from one side of the fence having never even entered the no mans land you established in your mind, beyond which lay only evil, evil which may exist only in your head.

This entire situation is a ongoing tragedy but one that nobody in power "Government" tried to put the brakes on when you could see the wreck coming from a mile away. What will be the end result? Im not sure but I believe the situation will only get worse unless you bring some people to account on the government side and that just ain't going to happen.

And why would Thai muslims would not buy anything from Israel and America? Does Israel have anything to do with the situation in the deep South? I have been to Phuket, Samui , Hat Yai and Nakom Sitamarat but I have never been to the deep

South of Thailand. I will not be able to distinguish salaf and Sufi. But does it really matter? There is a general pattern

how islamic conflicts evolve throughout the world. It does not matter whether it is Somali, Chechnya or South of Thailand.

You seem to deny this pattern and corresponding facts. Hence, I do not perceive your analysis as valid. Consider, for example, the conflict in Checnya. Chechens fought Russian occupation for hundreds of years. They are proud people and great warriors. After the first Chechen war (under Yeltsin) the central government in Moscow decided to let Chechnya go.

Chechen republic formally remained a part of Russian Federation but de facto gained an independence with its own government completely independent of Moscow. It took just several monthes to transform Chechnya into the centre of drug trafficking, money counterfeigting and yes, the presence of wahabists became much more visible. Then vicious terrorist attacks (with direct participation of foreign muslim terrorists) got spread throughout Russia. Then Putin started the second Chechen war (and it seems that he had no other choice). It was a brutal war without any rules conducted by corrupted Russian Army and full of gruesome atrocities from both sides. The resistance of Chechens was finally broken . It took extra several years to essentially stop terrorists attacks against big Russian cities (but , nevertheless, the atrocious attack on the Theater in Moscow and tragedy in Beslan both with direct participation of foreign islamic terrorists did happen).

Returning to the situation in the deep South of Thailand, I tend to agree with you in one aspect. Islamic terrorists over there are not seeking

unification with Malaysia. At least whatever I was able to see from their websites does not indicate in this direction.

Their attitude is quite similar to Chechen terrorists who took control of Chechnya after the first war. This attitude:leave us alone. They ask for autonomy within Thailand but in the form of de facto independence. In fact, forwarding provinces to Malaysia would not be a bad solution at all but hardly feasible under present circumstances. I would not be surprised to see

that if islamic terrorists in deep South of Thailand get what they want, we will have the Chechen scenario in Thailand.

You deny an existing pattern. Say, if you were an expert in Afganistan, could you predict Taliban and Al Qaeda? If you were an expert in Kashmire, could you predict escalating terrorist attacks in both India and Pakistan which already took thousands of innocent lives. You may have a good knowledge of deep South but you completely misunderstand the dynamics over there

(as Thaksin during his first years in the office or Banya right now). I can easily imagine that muslims of deep South have legitimate concerns and grievances. The tragedy of the current situation is that it is essentially not relevant anymore.

Either somebody in Thailand will take decisive measures to take complete military control over provinces, interrupt money supply from wahabists, close Universities and religious schools controlled and funded by wahabists, or deep South will go along the Chechen route with clear ramifications for the rest of Thailand.

Either somebody in Thailand will take decisive measures to take complete military control over provinces, interrupt money supply from wahabists, close Universities and religious schools controlled and funded by wahabists, or deep South will go along the Chechen route with clear ramifications for the rest of Thailand.

how right you are! it is a well known fact that the Wahhabis financed Hitler, the japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and of course they are responsible that global warming will sooner or later flood Bangla Desh and southern Florida. not yet proven (but that's only a matter of time) is that Wahhabis generate tsunamis.

how right you are! it is a well known fact that the Wahhabis financed Hitler, the japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and of course they are responsible that global warming will sooner or later flood Bangla Desh and southern Florida. not yet proven (but that's only a matter of time) is that Wahhabis generate tsunamis.

Currently the wahabist are opening terrorist tattoo schools in Cuba, they want to make sure all the Che Guerra tattoos are 100% correct before they Jihad. Chavez and Castro have been paid off and now want to supply them with nukes if they will finance a few madrases schools in Spanish language and promise to use Cuban flags with Arabic writing on them when they take over the world. Lil Kim in Korea will not let then out do him and has promised to help open Korean Barbq kiosks to support the Jihad. In exchange for much needed cash and refuge Osama Bin Laden has now declared pork halal in Korea both north and south, this will speed up unification. These actions were taken to undermine George Bush's credibility, He who until this current set of dramas had a spotless track record and was well on his way to making Bill Clinton look like a inbred hillbilly goat humper, something GB could never be accused of?

Two civilians injured in Yala bomb attack

March 31, 2007 : Last updated 12:28 pm (Thai local time)

The explosion occurred at 7 am on the No 410 Road in Na Kaset Village in Tambon Thanto of Yala's Thanto district.

A 63-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman on a pick-up truck were slightly injured by the blast impact police said.

The Nation

........ ............. ............. ................ .....................

Abdullah says militants in southern Thailand not Malaysian

March 31, 2007 : Last updated 04:37 pm (Thai local time)

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia says that militants captured in insurgency-hit southern Thailand with a cache of weapons and money are not Malaysian citizens and were not trained here, according to reports Friday.

Agence France-Presse

I agree with Mai Khrap that the tragedy down south was a train wreck waiting to happen, and might have been avoided at some point in the recent past. But at this point I am pessimistic that even bringing government people to acount will be able to put the train back in the tracks. There is far too much momentum and money trying to move this train onto another track. And one buries one's head rather deeply in the sands to deny that the source of the money is not the petrol dollars used to bribe the Wahabi to maintain the status quo, the power of the Saud clan, in Arabia.

And although I have known and been to the homes of traditional Sunni families and known their wives and kids, I would posit that I would never be able to ever say all that for a true Salafi family as I, being a Kaffir, a non-believer, would never be able to become familiar and engage in conversation with a Salafi woman.

Now I might not be able to walk down the street and determine exactly who is Salafi and who is Sufi, although I could point out who is not Salafi, and there are some modes of dress that I can point to and say, hey that man is Sufi. And I know that most Salafi hold Sufism as being Takfir, heretics to Islam. And I know that although the historical roots causes of conflicts in Thailand, Palestine, and Chechnya are all unrelated and quite different, that the common thread that now exists and unites the actors on these different stages is Sunni extremism, whether it be called Wahabism or Salafism. And what enables that union between what once were unrelated political causes is the petrol dollars given to the Wahabi who use it to export their ideas and the more recent advent of the Internet, the great enabler, the technological embodiment, if I may go out on a metaphorical limb, of Shiva.

I agree with Mai Khrap that the tragedy down south was a train wreck waiting to happen, and might have been avoided at some point in the recent past. But at this point I am pessimistic that even bringing government people to acount will be able to put the train back in the tracks.

That is a point i strongly agree with. Unfortunately the situation down there is about a few moments away from exploding into something very ugly beyond just insurgents with whatever ideology against the Thai state, but a full blown communal war which nobody wants apart from a few instigators, but what seems to be, from my perspective, inevitable.

Nevertheless, theorizing about the different religious orientations won't help much, because people are still individuals in the end. Not all Wahabis would agree with violence, and are as terrified as the rest of us about what is happening, and what unfortunately will most likely come.

I don't have much knowledge on the different Islamic sects. Only one thing, a Wahabi friend down South said to me a few days ago that the insurgents are definately not Wahabis, but mostly old style Sunnis.

Is it still stupid of me to think this is about Islam?? All this talk of different sects within Islam and what and why they are doing, and yet there are some Mai Khrap in particular who seem to think this is all nothing to do with Islam...

Without Islam at its core the conflict would have fizzled out long ago, or in fact it would have barely raised it's head, as someone else has already said, there is a striking predictability to certain aspects of these conflicts whenever Islam is involved.

I suppose that I have only spent a few weeks in the south and therefore most of my info comes from various news organizations, but I find it impossible to believe that without the ideology behind the conflict, we (Thailand) would never be in the situation it is in just now.

Yet again you hold your humour in such high regard....

What a sad little fellow!!

:o

Without Islam at its core the conflict would have fizzled out long ago, or in fact it would have barely raised it's head, as someone else has already said, there is a striking predictability to certain aspects of these conflicts whenever Islam is involved.

right! as in Northern Ireland i suppose? no more problems since they kicked out the Wahhabis and knocked down all madrasas and mosques in Belfast.

i might be sad fellow but at 1.92 metres i don't consider myself "little".

you Sir are in my (not so) humble view an uneducated clown :o

Two Muslims killed in Thailand's restive south

NARATHIWAT - Suspected Islamic separatists operating in Thailand's insurgency-torn south have shot and killed two Muslim men in separate attacks, police said Sunday.

Agence France-Presse

appoligies , this is not an April Fools joke ...................... :o

right! as in Northern Ireland i suppose? no more problems since they kicked out the Wahhabis and knocked down all madrasas and mosques in Belfast.

i might be sad fellow but at 1.92 metres i don't consider myself "little".

you Sir are in my (not so) humble view an uneducated clown :o

Thanks for my upgrade to knight...

Satire really is beyond you so why not just stay clear of it!!! Good chap!!

:D

Insurgents gunned down three police in Pattani

Six gunmen in Pattani province opened fire at three traffic police officers and killed them all. Two gunmen were shot dead during the hunt, two others were arrested, and the remaining insurgent is still being tracked down.

Six gunmen were riding three motorcycles in Panare district of Pattani before atrociously shooting the three officers in point blank range. Prior to the gunfire, the officers were maintaining order while people were being conscripted to the army. The traffic police officers were identified as Pol. Cpl. Maromlee Da-o (มะรอมลี ดาโอ๊ะ), Pol. Cpl. Dulasit Sangkaya (ดุลสิทธิ์ สังข์ยา), and Pol. Cpl. Bunnam Amnakmanee (บุญนำ อำนักมณี).

Later, the insurgents and the officials opened fire for about 10 minutes. Consequently, officials were able to kill two gunmen and arrested two others. However, one of the culprits was able to escape the scene. Police and army officials are hunting down the escapee.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 April 2007

Officials investigate 12 school and health clinic fires in Yala province

Insurgents set fire to schools and health clinics in Yala province in what authorities perceive as a show of defiance following recent crackdowns on insurgent elements by peacekeeping forces.

Police and military investigators conducted inspections in 12 areas of Yaha (ยะหา), and Banangsata (บันนังสตา) districts in Yala province, after insurgents set schools and health clinics ablaze on April 4 from 9:30 to 11:00 PM. 4 schools were set on fire in Yaha district, including the Padaaru (ปะแดรู) School, Samakee (สามัคคี) School in Tambon Pathae (ปะแต), Ban Pongkuwaa (บ้านพงกูแว) School, and the Ban Asin Seuksa School (บ้านอาสินศึกษา).

Authorities report that 4 additional schools were also set ablaze in Banangsata district, including the Ban Kasote (บ้านกาโสด) School, the Thanoh Buthanai (ตาเนาะปูต๊ะใน) School, Ban Thanoh Buteh (บ้านตาเนาะปูเต๊ะ) School, and Ban Ranor (บ้านรานอ) School. 2 health clinices in Tambon Talingchan (ตลิ่งชัน) and Tambon Thanoh Buteh (ตาเนาะปูเต๊ะ) were also set aflame.

Authorities believe the mass attacks to be insurgents' response to curfews imposed on Yaha and Banangsata district. Officials have cracked down on insurgent elements, and questioned over 60 suspects in the incident.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 April 2007

Suspected militants attack two mosques in Yala, wounding at least 15

Suspected militants fired grenades into two mosques in Yala's Yaha district on Thursday, wounding about 15 Muslim worshippers.

A bomb thrown in Hassaladawa Yaha mosque during morning prayers on Thursday at about 4.30am in the district, wounding about 15 Muslim worshippers, police said.

The bomb exploded as about 150 people were gathering for morning prayers at a mosque in the district which has been put under curfew following brutal execution-style shootings of Buddhist van commuters in March.

Initial investigation showed that about five suspected militants rode in a pickup and stopped at the mosque before firing four M-79 grenades into the mosque.

Police said after that the militants then went to another mosque about one kilometre away and fired the grenade into it. The explosion damaged the building but injured no one.

Source: The Nation - 5 April 2007

30031188-01.jpg

Elder Muslims look at a young Muslim who was injured when suspected militants fired four M-79 grenades into the mosque he was praying on Thursday in Yala’s Yaha district. At least 15 Muslims gathering in the mosque were injured.

Source: The Nation - 5 April 2007

Streams of unrest in Pattani last night

A group of gunmen opened fire at the rubber farmers in the southern border province of Pattani. One farmer was injured.

At 5 AM today (Apr 5), police from Khok Pho district in Pattani was informed that a shooting incident took place at Tha Klong village in Khok Pho. The injured villager was identified as Mr. Chalao Chandthong (เฉลา จันทร์ทอง), a local 37-year-old rubber farmer.

Following the interrogation, Mr. Chalao was riding a motorcycle to the rubber plantation prior to the shooting. Once he arrived at the plantation, he was attacked by a group of unidentified gunmen.

Last night, the insurgents also set fire to Ban Pa Ku School in Thung Ya Daeng district in Pattani. Another shooting incident also occurred in Mayor district of Pattani. The insurgent injured a 40-year-old villager named Mr. Manasae Sa-a (มะนาเซ สะอะ). Later, his son, Mr. Abdullah Sa-a (อับดุลเลาะ สะอะ) retaliated against the gunmen, but Mr. Abdullah was shot dead in the end.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 April 2007

BT-Logo.gif

ASIA

Thai mosques, schools bombed Authorities baffled by worsening chaos despite curfew

BANGKOK AND YALA

06-Apr-07

ASSAILANTS attacked an Islamic boarding school and mosque with war weapons injuring 16 in Yala province, part of Thailand's troubled deep South, in dawn assaults, police said yesterday.

The unknown assailants used M-79 rocket-propelled grenade launchers to fire on the school in the Yaha district of Yala, 760 kilometres south of Bangkok, an area already under curfew.

A grenade was also fired on a nearby mosque shortly after the school attack, but no one was injured.

Rebels kill three in Thailand's restive south

YALA - Suspected separatist militants have killed three people in Thailand's restive south, including a Muslim man blown apart by a car bomb, police said Monday.

The 55-year-old's body was ripped in half when a 10-kilogram (22-pound) bomb placed underneath his pick-up truck exploded in Yala, one of three insurgency-plagued provinces bordering Malaysia.

"The bomb was fixed under his car and detonated while he was driving. The explosion totally destroyed the vehicle, and also seriously injured the victim's friend, who was also in the car," police said.

A soldier was injured earlier Monday in Yala when a mobile phone-triggered bomb exploded. Police said insurgents were targeting seven soldiers on patrol in the province.

Also in Yala on Monday, a 40-year-old Muslim man was shot dead at his rubber plantation, while in neighbouring Narathiwat province on Sunday, a 52-year-old Muslim man was shot and killed near his home, police said.

More than 2,000 people have been killed in Thailand's Muslim-majority south since an insurgency broke out in January 2004.

Thailand's military-installed government has launched a raft of peace measures, only to see the attacks escalate in the past six months. The attacks have also become more gruesome, with two beheadings last month.

Source: The Nation - 9 April 2007

Military panics, 3 teenagers killed

Southern security forces fired into a crowd of hostile teenagers in the South, killing three of the apparently unarmed youths, the army said early on Tuesday.

Spokesman Col Akara Thiparote was quoted by official Radio Thailand as saying the incident began at a funeral procession in deeply troubled Bannang Sata district of Yala. Members of the crowd shouted that security forces had killed the man being buried.

Youths in the crowd "became unruly," said Col Akara, and rushed at a small security force near the crowd, according to Radio Thailand.

Military reinforcements arrived, but someone in the crowd fired a single shot in the air, panicking the troops, who fired point-blank into the protesters with live ammunition.

"Officials confirm three fatalities from the incident," the spokesman was quoted as saying. Army and police further reinforced the area, and were working last night with local officials to make broadcasts and distribute hastily prepared flyers to explain the security forces' side of the incident.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=117986

April 11, 2007 - 2:35PM

A Buddhist woman was shot dead and her body set ablaze early today in Thailand's restive Muslim-majority south, police said, as the country's junta leader began a visit to the region.

Police said the 26-year-old's body was burned beyond recognition after she was killed while on her way to work on the outskirts of Yala town.

"It's the work of the same group of militants who are active in this predominantly Muslim village," they said.

The province of Yala has seen a surge in attacks this year, with 10 people killed on Monday alone. Four of them were shot dead while returning from the burial of a bombing victim.

More than 2,000 people have been killed in three years of unrest in the southern region along the border with Malaysia.

Thailand's junta leader, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin travelled to nearby Pattani province today for a two-day visit to meet with Muslim religious leaders as well as local government and military chiefs.

Sonthi told reporters as he arrived in Pattani that the insurgents' attacks had become more lethal, even as the number of incidents had fallen.

"The attacks have decreased in number, but the militants have adjusted their strategies to be more violent and brutal in order to terrify people," he said.

Sonthi said he feared the Islamic separatists were trying to spark a broader communal conflict, and urged both Buddhists and Muslims to work to reduce tensions between the faiths.

"Don't fall into their trap. Villagers must be patient. The militants want to create a sectarian war," he said.

Sonthi is the first Muslim to head the army in mainly Buddhist Thailand. After he seized power in a coup in September, he installed a government that promptly unveiled a raft of peace measures for the region.

But the violence has escalated, and the government remains uncertain who exactly is behind the attacks. No one has claimed responsibility for them or made any specific demands of the government.

AFP

Military panics, 3 teenagers killed

Southern security forces fired into a crowd of hostile teenagers in the South, killing three of the apparently unarmed youths, the army said early on Tuesday.

Spokesman Col Akara Thiparote was quoted by official Radio Thailand as saying the incident began at a funeral procession in deeply troubled Bannang Sata district of Yala. Members of the crowd shouted that security forces had killed the man being buried.

Youths in the crowd "became unruly," said Col Akara, and rushed at a small security force near the crowd, according to Radio Thailand.

Military reinforcements arrived, but someone in the crowd fired a single shot in the air, panicking the troops, who fired point-blank into the protesters with live ammunition.

"Officials confirm three fatalities from the incident," the spokesman was quoted as saying. Army and police further reinforced the area, and were working last night with local officials to make broadcasts and distribute hastily prepared flyers to explain the security forces' side of the incident.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=117986

huge backwards step .................. :o

Villagers parade charred body of victim for Gen Sonthi in Yala

Some 200 people paraded the charred remain of a woman who was shot dead and set ablaze through streets in Yala's Muang district to to protest the unending violence in the deep south.

Militants shot dead Patcharaporn Bunmart, 26, on Wednesday and burned her body in Yala's Muang district. The victim was on her way to work.

The villagers wrapped her body in a white cloth and placed it at the staircase leading into a government building where Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, chief of head of the Thai junta, was meeting with local leaders.

The villagers of her village they wanted to show Sonthi how gruesome the attacks have become and to demand protection for the Buddhists in the province.

Sonthi meanwhile them he was working with local officials to find ways of reducing the daily violence in the deep south province.

"I promise that we will do everything possible to better protect innocent villagers," he said.

Sonthi was on a two-day trip to meet Muslim religious leaders as well as local government and military chiefs.

Violence continued in Yala as a 19-year-old Buddhist man was also killed on Wednesday in a drive-by shooting. His 47-year-old mother was seriously wounded in the attack.

In nearby Pattani province, five officials from the Revenue Department were wounded Wednesday when a roadside bomb exploded near their van.

"The attacks have decreased in number but the militants have adjusted their strategies to be more violent and brutal in order to terrify people," he said.

"Don't fall into their trap. Villagers must be patient. The militants want to create a sectarian war," he1 said.

The Nation

11 injured in Yala bomb attack

Yala - A bomb exploded in a busy market Thursday, wounding 11 people, as hundreds of angry Buddhists residents gathered in the town centre to call for tougher security measures in the restive region

The Nation

Troops kill three unarmed teenagers

Narathiwat (Agencies)

Thai security forces have shot and killed three more Muslim boys, sparking fresh, angry protests by residents. Insurgents attacked a train and wounded two passengers in the deep South.

None of the youths in the troop incident was armed. Police said the paramilitary rangers were acting in self-defence.

The boys, aged 13 and 14, were killed late Friday by security forces in Pattani, one of three Muslim-majority southern provinces bordering Malaysia, police said.

They said the security forces opened fire after a group of five to 10 Muslim boys ran towards them as they tried to extinguish a blaze at a mobile phone base station.

"When security forces were working to extinguish the fire, the teenagers ran towards them and tried to attack the security forces," a police official claimed.

Three of the youths were killed and three wounded. None was armed, but police said the paramilitary rangers were acting in self-defence.

time to take the guns back from the toy soldiers .........................................

Secretary General of League of Arab States said they understand the cause of violence in the Deep South

Secretary General of League of Arab States Arme Moussa affirms he understands the violence in Thailand’s three southern provinces.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sawanit Kongsiri (สวนิต คงศิริ) and Mr. Arme Moussa join a discussion comcerning situations in the Middle East, Africa, and the cooperation between Asean and the League of Arab States.

In response to Thailand’s southern unrest situation, Mr. Arme views that reconciliation is the best solutions to the situation, while believing that political matters are the key root leading to violence.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 April 2007