Chiang Mai Pollution Avoidance Journey

svenmonet2

I'm leaving CM and heading south or southeast to get away from the lovely pollution here. I'm looking for any advice on good places to head (if any!). I was thinking of Tak first and then heading east from there. I know Chiang Rai is also misterable as is Nan. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers!

Tak I don't think is far enough.

However looking at the recent satellite images, way up Kanchanaburi province could be a pleasant option. (Sangkhlaburi, a very nice place generally)

Or for a complete guarantee, head to a beach. Rayong perhaps (Ko Samet), or Pattaya even.

Or further South of course; keep in mind the whole North East is also very dry.

Yes, studying the fire maps and satellite images and also the pollution tables by city - as linked from the main 'advisory' thread - would be an excellent way to work out where is clear and where in smoky.

I flew down to Krabi with the gf 2 days ago: the whole of northern Thailand has generalised haze. There would be no escape anywhere.

Bangkok seems to have about 40% of the haze density of CM, from looking out the airport windows and from the plane.

Krabi is fine. A strong seabreeze rocks in here every afternoon and clears the air of what little haze there is. Our <PM10 levels are below 40 - Chiang Mai's peaked at the lethal 304 level this week.

I don't believe Chiang Mai is habitable by humans any more. Even if you are one of the minority wo does not have immediate effects from the pollution, the long-term effects of having such large numbers of these microparticles breathed into your lungs 24/7 is most likely grave.

The city already has the world's second-highest lung cancer rate, according to one expert. That suggests there is a big problem. I love CM and grieve to leave it. I also owe it a lot. But the time has come. I'm now looking round down south for somewhere new to live, and will only return to CM to pack and exit.

SPORTS UPDATE!

Got as far as far as Ayuthaya today. Lampang last night. LONG DRIVE!!! Road is miserable for the last 2 hours because of construction and no highway lights.

Everything looked terrible along the trip. Same as CM. Tak looked the worst for some reason. Heard from Thai friend the Nan is horrible. Heading for Jomtien tomorrow hoping the coastal breeze is better. Feel like I'm escaping!

Can't stand Pattaya but maybe Jomtien is tollerable for a 49 year old smoker who just wants cleaner air than CM. Hope it rains soon up North because I like it there. I would hate to not live there but it's pretty bad there. Never thought I would have to do this emerency trip. Thanks for your replies.

Cheers abd Happy St. Patricks Day to all!