Teaching in thailand for non native speakers

Sammel

Hello i am currently on my last year of a pedagogic degree of teaching, and i want to teach in thailand, doesnt matter where in the country it is, but if i could choose i woulf like to work somewhere in isaan, since thats where my mother comes from( i am half thai). So i speak fluent thai and my english is also fluent. 

So what i wonder is, can a non native speaker of english like me teach in thailand and get a ok good job , preferably 50kbaht+ a month. 

I come from norway, and i have been thaught english since 2 grade, and have a masters degree of english under my belt. 

Is it hard for non native speakers to get a good teaching job in thailand? 

Do you guys have any tips about how i should approach to get a job offer? 

Hope you can help:)

2 hours ago, Sammel said:

I come from norway, and i have been thaught english since 2 grade, and have a masters degree of english under my belt. 

I can see that it was money well spent. However, NNES will not get 50k in Isaan and your Thai background will hold you back.

With your substandard English grammar, spelling and punctuation, you should expect a salary of 30,000 Baht, at most. Your English is still good enough to be hired by a Thai school, though. Don't feel discouraged. Study for a real master's degree.

If you plan on using your Thai passport to make staying here easier you will be paid a "Thai" wage. If you use your Norwegian passport and obtain a visa you will be paid more. But as others have said your use of English grammar and punctuation is barely up to Thai standards. I would rethink my plans..

I believe, that the demand being a native speaker is discriminatory. One can live in the U.S., and work at the M.I.T. for years, have a masters degree in education, profound teaching experiences, does professional specialized translations, and then in Thailand, because this person is not a native speaker, will be paid less than a student from South Africa. 

You may have a chance to get an English teaching job at Government Schools on small towns...or schools located on dangerous areas like close to the Malaysian border.

For sure you may get a job around Phayao and Lampang where many non-natives are teaching English with salary about 30000 and half of that money for a part time or teacher´s assistant position. I have a Russian friend working at the Phayao Muban School. But, 50000 ?...it is about the salary of a School Principal or an University Teacher. For a single person 30000 it is enough for a decent life in Thailand.

Your Thai skills also will help for that pob and others.

Your chances to find a teaching position in the northeast are not that bad, but you've got to work with your European passport.

Then you'd need a TOEIC test as a NNES. There are some agencies that are always looking for teachers, get in touch with some, should you not find a position.

Agencies do not pay a full year salary, it would be much better to look for a position at a government school, working for the school directly. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, tubby johnson said:

With your substandard English grammar, spelling and punctuation, you should expect a salary of 30,000 Baht, at most. Your English is still good enough to be hired by a Thai school, though. Don't feel discouraged. Study for a real master's degree.

Nice way to put it ;) 

Archived