Chicken vindaloo recipe

SteveK

Question regarding use of Waughs curry powder?

This powder has 20% turmeric already. 

You mention turmeric being a deal breaker on the result.

Do we really need more turmeric than what is already in waughs curry powder?

If you can't get paprika, you can use the red chilli powder which you can get at 7-11, just don't use so much! For turmeric, you can buy the turmeric roots at your local market, they call it ka-min, grind up a small piece and chuck it in. Maybe 1cm. My recipe already accounts for the turmeric in the curry powder. In any case, just give it a try with what you can get and see how it turns out. I'm lucky, there is a CP freshmart in my village where they grind up spices themselves, I can usually get paprika, cumin and turmeric, but certainly not all the time, so I buy it when they have it and keep it in my kitchen.

When I first tried making this recipe, I was putting in a heaped tablespoon of turmeric, it always had that musty taste which ruined it, which is why I scaled it back and realised that I needed to use much less. I suspect that fresh turmeric may actually enhance the flavour.

don't know about the vindaloos but various currys use different spice mixtures...with a lot of currys it's a straight 2/2/1 mixture, cumin/ground coriander/tumeric and then with others it's the addition of cloves and cinnamon which are found in most commercial curry powders...I usually keep all of them on hand but ye can experiment and try out different mixtures to get what ye need for the different recipes...too much tumeric will kill something so be careful with it...

never seen much paprika in south asian cooking...the other spices usually kill off the delicate flavor...

On 7/23/2019 at 10:31 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

never seen much paprika in south asian cooking...the other spices usually kill off the delicate flavor...

I agree with what you said. However, it's not that easy to get some of the ingredients that they use up there in the hills of Kashmir, so paprika is a reasonable substitute.

8 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I agree with what you said. However, it's not that easy to get some of the ingredients that they use up there in the hills of Kashmir, so paprika is a reasonable substitute.

if yer lookin' to find dried chile for whatever purpose I recommend the dried red chile flakes/rough powder, usually comes in various strengths at yer local market...the vegetable sellers will have it packaged with whole dried red chiles also available, look for the market vendors that specialize in garlic and shallots and other dried spices as they usually have it in bulk and then ye can get some different types and mix to give the optimum effect...

I've noticed that western food writers will have the dried red chile flakes as an ingredient these days for a lot of things...probably as a substitute for a similar ingredient not easily obtainable in the west...

Great idea for a food thread and an interesting recipe.

As others said, the beef is poor here, but its actually awesome for curries in a slow cooker.

The advantage is you're gauranteed the beef will always up tender,

you end up with a lot of delicious natural liquid/stock,

and you get the absolute most out of the spices.

So, an adaptation of your recipe for beef in a slow cooker is pretty simple, since you are using the marinade also as the cooking sauce.

my adaptation for beef in slow cooker:

-cut 2 whole onions in quaters (as base on the bottom of cooker)

throw in:

-2 large dried red chillis

-any roots you might have from coriander

-cinnamon stick (instead of ginding)

-a few whole cloves

-2 bruised green cardomom pods.

(sorry!-never seen em in Thailand, imported a big bag from home)

-add the meat marinaded in your mix.

-maybe half cup of boiling beef stock mingled with a little tomato paste for red colour.

I think it will go ok,

maybe 2 hours HIGH setting

then 2 hours LOW

So am I on the right track here?

anything you might suggest/change?

36 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Great idea for a food thread and an interesting recipe.

As others said, the beef is poor here, but its actually awesome for curries in a slow cooker.

The advantage is you're gauranteed the beef will always up tender,

you end up with a lot of delicious natural liquid/stock,

and you get the absolute most out of the spices.

So, an adaptation of your recipe for beef in a slow cooker is pretty simple, since you are using the marinade also as the cooking sauce.

my adaptation for beef in slow cooker:

-cut 2 whole onions in quaters (as base on the bottom of cooker)

throw in:

-2 large dried red chillis

-any roots you might have from coriander

-cinnamon stick (instead of ginding)

-a few whole cloves

-2 bruised green cardomom pods.

(sorry!-never seen em in Thailand, imported a big bag from home)

-add the meat marinaded in your mix.

-maybe half cup of boiling beef stock mingled with a little tomato paste for red colour.

I think it will go ok,

maybe 2 hours HIGH setting

then 2 hours LOW

So am I on the right track here?

anything you might suggest/change?

When using cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves, I like to grind them into a very fine powder, I can't risk losing a filling. Looks like a good recipe though, maybe I'll ask the wife to pick up some of the garbage beef from the market.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:39 PM, SteveK said:

I forgot to mention - this works with large pieces of chicken best, I cut a breast into three and marinade them and that's enough for my dinner. You could use any meat for this though, as vindaloo was originally a pork dish. Beef, pork, duck, chicken, prawns and vegetables will all work well.

Excellent recipe. Cooked it for lunch yesterday. I am now a Liverpool supporter with a Arse like a red Rosette. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

made some tonight and used this

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11516/chicken-vindaloo

next time definitely gonna add some potatoes...seems to be a number of ways to make it, some with a lemon juice/vinegar marinade and some without etc...could use a pork loin the next time, might need to adjust the marinade...

Archived