Extension After Cancellation Of Work Contract

I have been working in LOS for the past year, previously to that I held a Non-Imm O. My contract is up next week and I want to extend my visa based on marriage to my wife - we are leaving LOS on May 4.

What is the procedure for the extension. My school will take me to immigration that day, so do I just fill out an extension form? Is this a standard procedure, or am I likely to run into any problems?

Also, what paperwork should I bring for this?

Thanks for any input!

I have been working in LOS for the past year, previously to that I held a Non-Imm O. My contract is up next week and I want to extend my visa based on marriage to my wife - we are leaving LOS on May 4.

What is the procedure for the extension. My school will take me to immigration that day, so do I just fill out an extension form? Is this a standard procedure, or am I likely to run into any problems?

Also, what paperwork should I bring for this?

Thanks for any input!

You will need your wife to go with you and the following:

1. Copy of Household Registration of Thai Wife.

2. Copy of Identification Card of Thai Wife.

3. Copy of Marriage Certificate

4. Statement of guarantee of pension income from your Embassy that you have an income of at least Baht 40,000 per month or letter of guarantee from a foreign employer, that you are a employee, salary, position, years worked or proof of this Thai income by you or your wife with the last three months of Phor Ngor Dor.1 (Personal Income tax form filed on a monthly basis) and Phor Ngor Dor.91 ( Filed on a yearly basis in March)

5.Copy of birth certificates of children. (if any)

6.Photo of place of residence. (show house’s number)

7.Map and telephone’s number of place of residence.

8.If working, a letter of guarantee from your employer. A copy of work permit as well if working in Thailand.

9. Photos of your wife clothes and your clothes in the same closet, picture of your wife and you sitting on a living room sofa and pictures of the wedding. (This is not required if you have a birth certificate of children together.)

10. Application form TM 7 with 2x2 inch square photo’s attached.

11. A valid passport

12.If married overseas, the marriage certificate must be certified at the local Embassy of the country where the marriage took place, and it must be translated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This must then by certified by the District Office where the Thai spouse has their household registration.

13. If granted the extension of stay prior to 1st Oct 2006, the applicant can use the option of 400,000 Baht in the bank.

14. In the case of the foreigner who has entered Thailand and has been granted to stay temporarily before Oct 1st 2006, they may be eligible for an exemption to the new rule of 40K income per month but this is only on a case by case basis.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I read this differently than Sunbelt and believe you only require an extension of about 5 weeks so items 1, 2, 3, 10 and 11 on the above Sunbelt list should be all you need to obtain a 60 day extension. The other items are only required for a one year extension of stay.

As an update to this, I went to immigration to extend and they were having none of it. They told me if I wanted to stay longer to go and get a new visa or do a visa run.

As my wife is approaching 4 months pregnant I am not best pleased at having to go to Lao for a few days.

Did you request a 60 day extension under article 7.23 of Police Order 606/2549 with the items listed in above post? Or did they think you wanted a one year extension of stay? Which Immigration office was involved? Did they provide any other information?

I went with a copy of wife's ID, copy of wife's tabien baan and a copy of my wife's marriage certificate. I requested a 60 day extension. They said they would need proof of income. I won't have any income, said I - it's only a temporary stay I want. They said if I wanted to stay longer then I should do a border run or get a new visa.

This was Chiang Mai.

They gave me no other information.

I don't think I did anything wrong.

They cancelled my visa and gave me 6 days to leave the country.

Can I do anything? If I go and see Sunbelt Asia - can they help? Can they guarantee I can get it? I would gladly pay to get this done.

EDIT: I never mentioned the article. My school sent a women with us and I communicated through her. She wasn't really keen to help me though. She told me I could come back next week and get the extension then.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

Dan Sai, I think they're saying you can do 30 day stamps on entry, such as to Mae Sai/Talichek from Chiang Mai. Trouble is, when I did it, it was all day on a bus, up and back. My wife could always do that during her second trimester, but each pregnant woman is different. Would that be easier than a long overnight run to the interior of Laos?

Thing is PB, we are leaving LOS on May 4th. We are spending a month in Isaan - so that Dan Sai Wife can spend plenty of time with the Dan Sai Mother-in-law. If I do a 30 day now, which would be easy - I then have to day a 30 day in Dan Sai - and the closest place is Nong Khai - so if I have to go there I am as well getting a tourist visa. Also Dan Sai is hours from any international border,

At times like this I wish I was The Mae Sai Kid.

EDIT: at the moment The Dan Sai Wife is having trouble leaving the condo without feeling like crap - I am dreading the 12 hour flight to the UK!

14. In the case of the foreigner who has entered Thailand and has been granted to stay temporarily before Oct 1st 2006, they may be eligible for an exemption to the new rule of 40K income per month but this is only on a case by case basis.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Is this a recent change? I thought the "grandfathering clause" is part of the Police Regulation and therefore as unconditional as any rule within the Immigration rights can possibly be?

Sunny

Edited: Typos corrected.

Edited by Sunny Valentine

I went with a copy of wife's ID, copy of wife's tabien baan and a copy of my wife's marriage certificate. I requested a 60 day extension. They said they would need proof of income. I won't have any income, said I - it's only a temporary stay I want. They said if I wanted to stay longer then I should do a border run or get a new visa.

This was Chiang Mai.

They gave me no other information.

I don't think I did anything wrong.

They cancelled my visa and gave me 6 days to leave the country.

Can I do anything? If I go and see Sunbelt Asia - can they help? Can they guarantee I can get it? I would gladly pay to get this done.

EDIT: I never mentioned the article. My school sent a women with us and I communicated through her. She wasn't really keen to help me though. She told me I could come back next week and get the extension then.

Khun Krit in our CM office is aware of your case. No visa, no professional fee. You can contact him at 053-283-845

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Is this a recent change? I thought the "grandfathering clause" is part of the Police Regulation and therefore as unconditional as any rule within the Immigration rights can possibly be?

Sunny

Edited: Typos corrected.

As point out...

13. If granted the extension of stay prior to 1st Oct 2006, the applicant can use the option of 400,000 Baht in the bank.
This is the grandfather clause as you had a extension of stay permit.

The clause...

is when you had never applied for the extension of stay prior to Oct 1st 2006 and were not able to use the grandfather clause. In other words you had a multi-entry visa and never applied for the extension of stay permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The immigration told me today (friday) that I already had an extension of stay through my job and I the ONLY way I can stay is by getting a new visa. I am resigned to this now. Thanks for the help, but I feel that it is less hassle and stress just to do visa runs.

Now, part 2, I will be staying in Loei province and am told that I can do a visa run to Tha Li, does anyone know if this is the case and do I have to prepare anything in advance. I hear that you can't get a lao voa at this crossing.

Not sure why they can not change your extension of stay status as that is a routine procedure for the one year type extensions. Did they say just because it was a work extension of stay or because it was only a 60 day extension of stay?

I am not sure of the status of Tha Li; and the way your luck is running this week would not recommend it. :o

They said that because my last extension was for work they couldn't grant a new temporary extension based on marriage.

They asid they could have if I could show income of 40,000 per month. I said I could show 80,000 in the bank - that was not enough. To be honest I would rather do the visa runs and not have the false hope.

I am seeing Tha Li mentioned on many websites as a border-crossing that allows visa runs. The Thai immigration website also mentions it. I saw that if you want to cross here you need to get a Lao visa in advance. We tried calling today to confirm - no answer :o We will try again on Monday. But it seems that many places list this as an international border - even thaivisa.com!

If it doesn't work out I can borrow a pickup and go to Nong Khai - at least I will be able to buy a crate of beer lai - if nothing else!

The immigration told me today (friday) that I already had an extension of stay through my job and I the ONLY way I can stay is by getting a new visa. I am resigned to this now. Thanks for the help, but I feel that it is less hassle and stress just to do visa runs
We have been able to get the 60 days after a client's extension of stay based on business has ended.
They asid they could have if I could show income of 40,000 per month. I said I could show 80,000 in the bank - that was not enough. To be honest I would rather do the visa runs and not have the false hope.

This is not a requirement for the 60 day extension. The officer was confused.

Thanks for clarification, Sunbelt. If only anybody working at Immigration or Labor Department had half of your knowledge, life here would be easy!

Thanks.

A number of the officers and the Commanders are very knowledgeable. Others are not aware of some of the rules and are learning (and some don’t want to know as they make the rules) This is what can make Thailand exciting. :o

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com