Where Can I Buy A Thailand Traffic Law Book?

stingray

The boys in brown allways make theyr own decision about who is wrong, when its come to a accident. Of corse always the farang have to pay, even he isn't wrong. Where can i buy a Thailand Traffic Law book? Doesn't matter if it's in Thai. I would like to have one.

Just a caution...

Southeast Asia is comprised of countries that do not function by the rule of law. Rather, that is a foundation of a society unique to western countries. Instead, they go by the rule of social hierarchy, interpersonal connections, a heavy dose of corruption fueled by greed, and on occasion, crowd rule (read "kangaroo courts"). Courts of law, judges, constitutions, etc. are merely window dressing to satisfy reputation and image requirements in order not to be a pariah in the world community.

I dare say the OP is barking up the wrong tree, unless he merely wants to see the dramatic contrast between Thai law and actual practice by Thai society--especially traffic laws. :o

Upcountry, there are a number of traffic laws, if obeyed, would get you killed, simply because you have to enter into the Thai "groupthink" to flow with the traffic (which routinely flouts what would be normal traffic regulations). It has taken me four years (yeah I'm kinda slow) to realize that successful negotiation of daily vehicular traffic doesn't depend on my (or the other Thai drivers') knowledge of the law--it depends on my ability to anticipate the other guys' moves which have no relationship to any existing traffic laws.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by toptuan

Just a caution...

Southeast Asia is comprised of countries that do not function by the rule of law. Rather, that is a foundation of a society unique to western countries. Instead, they go by the rule of social hierarchy, interpersonal connections, a heavy dose of corruption fueled by greed, and on occasion, crowd rule (read "kangaroo courts"). Courts of law, judges, constitutions, etc. are merely window dressing to satisfy reputation and image requirements in order not to be a pariah in the world community.

I dare say the OP is barking up the wrong tree, unless he merely wants to see the dramatic contrast between Thai law and actual practice by Thai society--especially traffic laws. :o

Upcountry, there are a number of traffic laws, if obeyed, would get you killed, simply because you have to enter into the Thai "groupthink" to flow with the traffic (which routinely flouts what would be normal traffic regulations). It has taken me four years (yeah I'm kinda slow) to realize that successful negotiation of daily vehicular traffic doesn't depend on my (or the other Thai drivers') knowledge of the law--it depends on my ability to anticipate the other guys' moves which have no relationship to any existing traffic laws.

Just my 2 cents...

You hit the nail on the head!

However, i would love to have a copy of the 'highway code' so that next time i get pulled over on my motorbike (why do i never get pulled over when im driving the car??) i can pull out the book and sit thumbing it while deciding whether to pay the police.

Ive found that the boys in brown generally dont like being confronted with a farang willing (though very very politely) stand his ground. Ive also found that telling them that i read in the newspapers that i should take their picture with my cellphone if i was concerned about improprietry gets me on my way very quickly without hindrance (so far).