Compulsory Retirement Age In Thailand?

garro

Is there a compulsory retirement age or are we allowed to work until we fall over and die?

60 years old, at least for government and university employees it is. If you run your own business, probably not.

Is there a compulsory retirement age or are we allowed to work until we fall over and die?

60 years old, at least for government and university employees it is. If you run your own business, probably not.

I hope nobody tells all our 75 year old music teachers that they have been working illegally the past several years (Mahidol University).. Compulsory? No, there isn't

When I worked at matayom schools in the northern provinces, the teachers all retired at 60, and they seemed to think it was mandatory. Rajabats and unis supposedly say their farang lecturers can't be over 60 (and yet, some are). There was an early-out option a couple of years ago, for Thai teachers in their late 50's. They were astonished that at age 60 to 62, I had much more energy than the Thai teachers in their 30's.

I hope nobody tells all our 75 year old music teachers that they have been working illegally the past several years (Mahidol University).. Compulsory? No, there isn't

Sorry, but it is - it is in the law books and the statue quoted to me by the university comptroller. It applies to "full time" employees and not those on annual contracts. Those that do reach the mandatory retirement age are sometimes offered to continue under annual contracts under special circumstances. There are several at my department that are doing this including the head of the research facility.

You can also look here > National Research Council of Thailand

I have worked it out. I am 37 now, If I manage to put away 500 bath a month until I am 80, I will have enough to retire as long as I die within a year of retirement. How is that for a retirement plan :D

If they make me retire when I'm 60 I might have enough to llive for about six months :o

I have worked it out. I am 37 now, If I manage to put away 500 bath a month until I am 80, I will have enough to retire as long as I die within a year of retirement. How is that for a retirement plan :D

If they make me retire when I'm 60 I might have enough to llive for about six months :o

If you are working full time you will contribute to the social security fund a percentage of your salary based on how much you earn. I believe the minimum is 500 baht/month but will be matched by the employer so it will be 1000b/month. Higher salary the more SS taken out.

http://www.sso.go.th/eng/index_en.html

When I worked at matayom schools in the northern provinces, the teachers all retired at 60, and they seemed to think it was mandatory. Rajabats and unis supposedly say their farang lecturers can't be over 60 (and yet, some are). There was an early-out option a couple of years ago, for Thai teachers in their late 50's. They were astonished that at age 60 to 62, I had much more energy than the Thai teachers in their 30's.

At age 64 I still get more teaching work than I want here in Germany, although I'm technically semi retired. Why? Because most of the young teachers thought it was an easy career option. After a year or two they stress out, call in sick and go for stress counselling. Who ya gonna call? The class busters! Cast a casual eye around the schools here and it's hard to define who's retired and who's actually working. I can't imagine what's going to happen when the wrinklies can't hack it any more. I suspect you're not as well paid over there for not working so the question of retirement age is probably more relevant than over here. BTW, it's now officially going to be 67 in several EU countries.

• 3 years later...

60..? Back home it's 65 [for full pension], not mandatory, and they are thinking about raising it to 70...

I can confirm that it is mandatory retirement at age 60 if you are working in Thailand. I employed by the U.S. State Dept. in Thailand for a period of time and was told that no one is aloud to remain once they become 60 years old.

Edited by venturalaw

I can confirm that it is mandatory retirement at age 60 if you are working in Thailand. I employed by the U.S. State Dept. in Thailand for a period of time and was told that no one is aloud to remain once they become 60 years old.

Really....I know of plenty of guys, both Thai and expat who are over 60 and still working for MNC's....so obviously not mandatory.

Really....I know of plenty of guys, both Thai and expat who are over 60 and still working for MNC's....so obviously not mandatory.

Sorry - MNC's?

Multi national corporation.

Can you provide the circumstances? eg. Job title, immigration status in Thailand? If the people you are talking about are directors of the firm I highly doubt that is a problem in any Thai company. On the other hand if these people are working in Thailand on valid work permits and paid through the local MNC then no one can dispute that there is no mandatory age for all employees

Here's an article regarding mandatory retirement. Seems 65 is the mandatory age. But I have heard from Thai's, that even at 60, they are asked to step aside...this coming from several sources.

Ask any official of the Office of the Auditor-General (OAG) who is now their boss? The most likely answer is that they don't know because they are confused - is it Jaruvan Maintaka who was supposed to retire on July 5 at the age of 65 but refuses to step down, or her deputy, Phisit Leelasawachiropas, who is also acting auditor-general?

Khunying Jaruvan Maintaka, who was supposed to retire on July 5 at the age of 65, refuses to step down. KOSOL NAKACHOL

In order not to further confuse readers about their titles, I have decided to refer to Khunying Jaruvan as the retired auditor-general because she has already reached mandatory retirement age - which is an indisputable fact - and Mr Phisit as the acting auditor-general.

Perhaps the mandatory retirement requirement applies only to foreign employees who are Thai residents. I was employed by the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai for a specific period of time per contract (as an assistant to a consulate officer that was slated to depart the Consulate within a year which event would thereby trigger the termination of my employ). Although the term of my employment ceased, I was informed that the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, and the Consulate in Chiang Mai is unable to employ anyone who is 60 years old or older pursuant to Thai law if they are residing in Thailand. There was no work-permit requirement and I possess a non-resident 'O' visa. I was also told that the law was possibly going to be changed in the near future, but as of the time that I was in the employ of the State Dept., said law was in effect.

Here's an article regarding mandatory retirement. Seems 65 is the mandatory age. But I have heard from Thai's, that even at 60, they are asked to step aside...this coming from several sources.

Note my post #5. This is direct personal experience of mine as I went through this. Originally I was on annual contract with the university then was invited by the president to become a full time regular employee under the same exact conditions as a Thai. A few months after hitting my 60th birthday a letter came down from the comptroller's office with a copy of the law statute very specifically showing that mandatory retirement for government employees, which I am, is 60 years old. This applies whether Thai or foreigner. I had to go back on annual contract at the specific request of my department. Every ajarn here that I know personally who hit 60 are required to retire but under special circumstances based on their productivity and contributions can be invited to continue on annual contract.

Again, this is government employees and may/probably does not apply to private businesses or MNCs.