US FepBlue and Medicare

Manassas

My (federal) blue cross works great in Thailand. But I'm approaching 65 and will be forced to sign up for medicare. Medicare doesn't pay in Thailand, but will FepBlue still pick up "overseas claims?" Can't tell from website. Any former feds with experience in this?

Best thing to do is continue your Blue Cross coverage even when on Medicare.  Most individuals have to have a private supplemental policy to cover Medicare deductibles and co-pays. 

FEP encourages you to continue your cover and use them as a "supplemental" policy and waives all co-pays, and deductible amounts

They are not being particularly generous to you, since they really want the USG's share of your monthly premiums

Most importantly since Medicare is not accepted here in Thailand, Blue Cross is accepted either through direct billing at some hospitals or you pay and get reimbursed for all others

7 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Best thing to do is continue your Blue Cross coverage even when on Medicare.  Most individuals have to have a private supplemental policy to cover Medicare deductibles and co-pays. 

FEP encourages you to continue your cover and use them as a "supplemental" policy and waives all co-pays, and deductible amounts

They are not being particularly generous to you, since they really want the USG's share of your monthly premiums

Most importantly since Medicare is not accepted here in Thailand, Blue Cross is accepted either through direct billing at some hospitals or you pay and get reimbursed for all others

Thanks. I already planned to keep Blue Cross as my secondary but get medicare A and B when its time. That should cover anything in the states. In Thailand, I've just payed cash to the hospital, submit the one-page bill online to Blue Cross and get reimbursement within 30 days. Works great. But wasn't sure if Blue would still pick up Thailand claims. Blue cross doesn't care if you're a tourist or expat, they pick up claims from any major hospital.

Archived