Please help insulin for diabetes.

Pedrogaz

I am looking for advice on how to obtain insulin in Thailand. I have asked at 3 or 4 local pharmacies and none stock insulin and none offered to order it for me. 

My situation is that I have been on 3 oral meds for about 10 years but my blood glucose control has become very poor indeed, and I suspect insulin production in my pancreas is depleted. 

I live out in the sticks and no pharmacy here seems to have any refrigerated storage. Does anyone know how to obtain insulin...preferably pens? Can you get it on the internet, or do you have to go to hospital. What about pricing? I suspect the big pharma companies rip the patients off, but does anyone know the monthly cost say pens of long acting insulin Lantus and Apdira for basal bolus dosing.?

Thanks for any replies.

I am a T1D on insulin here. I get my Lantus SoloStar, Novo Rapid and Victoza, from either my international hospital or my local 5 star pharmacy. I trust these two places, as other places, their pens might contain other ingredients.

I do not take any chances with cheap pens may save you money, but you end up paying with your life.

The price difference is very big.

Super Cheap is another place you can try.

I don't live in the sticks, but on Phuket.

PM me for prices if you like.

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Thank you @Ineptocracy. I will PM for prices. Thanks again

I use Lantus Solo Star 1 box of 5 pens cost me baht 3750 at SIAM drugs in Korat. Difficult to ship due to need for refrigeration. You may have to make a monthly trip to civilization.

Lefty

I am diabetic (too many years of abusing my body) and I attend the diabetic clinic at my local (rural) hospital. 

Shortly after moving to Thailand I cut the sole of my foot on a broken glass. I went to the local casualty for some stitches. I mentioned that I was diabetic. Whilst I was being stitched up the head nurse (Matron?) came in and asked how I was treating my diabetes. I said that I was seeing a doctor in a local private hospital in Chiang Rai. It was costing about B10,000 every couple of months for the doctor and medication. She signed me up for the Diabetic Clinic at the hospital.

It is great. Every two months, I go first thing in the morning, have my blood tested - every six months they draw blood and check it, and urine, for just about everything. Then I see a nurse (speaks good English - and has a stunning figure), have my blood pressure taken and weight checked. Then I see a doctor, who talks briefly and prescribes medication, back to see the nurse again, then down the corridor to the cashier and pharmacy. The whole business, with two months meds (including insulin) comes to less than B2000. it takes about 5 hours, I am usually out by 11.00. Once a year they check my eyes for complications, and I have a chest x ray. That costs a bit more. The nurse (Nurse Noodle - she cannot say "needle"!) is very thorough, and speaks good English. She keeps me fully informed on my health. have a treatment record book and a hospital number.

The hospital infrastructure is a bit battered, and there is a lot of waiting around - take a book. The treatment is first rate.

• Like 1

Insulin definutely can be bought in pharmacies and all large pharmacies carry it. You may have gone to small pharmacies or places like Boots or Watsons which are not really pharmacies at all.

However it sounds like you have not been on insulin before and are olanning to self prescribe. This is dangerous in the extreme. You need to see a doctor, get some labs done and if insulin is indicated, start it under medical supervision until your blood sugar is well stabilized.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

I go to an outpatient clinic attached to my local district hospital to get all my meds including Novopen cartridges, metformin also blood pressure meds like Exforge, diuretics and etc, they have their own in house pharmacy...I've been going there for years and when I started I was examined by the docs (who also work at the district hospital) and monitored...now I can buy meds without any further approval from the docs but each purchase is recorded...I check fasting blood glucose and BP at home every day with the usual Accucheck and Omron equipment and both BG and BP have been stable for years now...recently I've had to increase the insulin by a small amount...

the bi - monthly clinic arrangement described by JAG above sounds like a good idea...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies:

To malagateddy, JAG, Sheryl and tutsiwarrior: Our local public hospital also has a dedicated diabetic clinic. I am planning to attend there. I imagine their prices will be much cheaper than the private Bangkok hospital which is a giant rip off as far as I can see. If I can get a one stop shop for my High blood pressure, my high cholesterol & TGs, and neuropathic pain....it will be great. MY meds at the moment are very expensive as I take extended release metformin, Forxiga and Januvia....plus a host of other stuff for BP and so on. I was wondering about cost issues and the decision to go augmentation of current therapy with insulin (maybe 4000 B per month more expensive) or to go for total insulin replacement (cheaper option). 

Lefty and Inept: Thanks for guide to pricing. It's much cheaper than I imagined.