Pai, Mae Hong Son

noctiluca

Hopefully, it is all right to post this topic here about the town of Pai in Mae Hong Son. If not, my apology.

I am planning a trip up there from BKK. It's been a long time since I went up to the North. I've heard so many things about this town recently, so I think I might give it a visit. I also want to make a trip to Mae Sai in Chiang Rai, after visiting Pai, or vice versa. However, I need help with the following questions:-

1) What is the best way to get to Pai from BKK (in term of convenience, affordability, and comfort)? Is there a direct air-con bus from BKK?

2) Do I have to go to the Town of Mae Hong Son first?

3) Should I go to Pai or Mae Sai first? Or does it matter (in term of transportation convenience)?

4) Is there a direct public transportation between the two towns? If so, is it a comfortable trip? Or should I better go through Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai?

5) How much is it that I can expect for a reasonable fare in any leg?

6) Do I need to call or book for the transportation and accommodation in advance? If so, do they have a phone number to call?

7) Could you recommend a nice place to stay in Pai with a reasonable rate?

If you have any recommendation or suggestion, please feel free to provide.

Many thanks.

By far the easiest and most pleasant way to get from Bangkok to Pai is by private plane, or by TG to Chiang Mai and private helicopter to Pai.

Failing that, take a bus to Chiang Mai and change there for a bus to Pai. there is no need to go via Mae Hong Son.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no direct bus link to Mae Sai from Pai. I think you need to go via Chiang Mai. I could well be wrong here.

If you are flying into CNX and want to keep flying you can take the SGA (check in at NokAir) flight to Pai that normally leaves around 11 but has been very late the past week due to the smoke. Or, go to the Arcade bus station in CM and ask for a minibus to Pai - about 2 1/2 hours. Lots of places to stay...

By far the easiest and most pleasant way to get from Bangkok to Pai is by private plane, or by TG to Chiang Mai and private helicopter to Pai.

:o

1. Fly to CM, then hire a bike (Thanon Moon Muang) - 100-150 day. Can then go to Mae Sai (via Mae Taeng) after Pai.
  2. No - MHS much farther west.
  3. Mae Sai way out the way (North Chiang Rai). Best to see after Pai if you really feel the urge to go there.
  4. No direct buses - come back to CM from Pai then take bus to Chiang Rai/Mae Sai
  5. About 1500 Bkk-CM; bus onto Pai about 100?; Chiang Rai/Mae Sai 200-300?
  6. Book flights online (Air Asia, Nok Air, Thai, etc) - Bus, no; Hotels, not really but busy over Songkran.
  7. Search for Pai hotels in Google - loads about.

Hopefully, it is all right to post this topic here about the town of Pai in Mae Hong Son. If not, my apology.

I am planning a trip up there from BKK. It's been a long time since I went up to the North. I've heard so many things about this town recently, so I think I might give it a visit. I also want to make a trip to Mae Sai in Chiang Rai, after visiting Pai, or vice versa. However, I need help with the following questions:-

1) What is the best way to get to Pai from BKK (in term of convenience, affordability, and comfort)? Is there a direct air-con bus from BKK?

2) Do I have to go to the Town of Mae Hong Son first?

3) Should I go to Pai or Mae Sai first? Or does it matter (in term of transportation convenience)?

4) Is there a direct public transportation between the two towns? If so, is it a comfortable trip? Or should I better go through Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai?

5) How much is it that I can expect for a reasonable fare in any leg?

6) Do I need to call or book for the transportation and accommodation in advance? If so, do they have a phone number to call?

7) Could you recommend a nice place to stay in Pai with a reasonable rate?

If you have any recommendation or suggestion, please feel free to provide.

Many thanks.

oops. some questions answered here, www.allaboutpai.com