Driving licence expiry date ?

Have they made a mistake or is it normal? on my 5 yr car driving licence it was issued

18 May 2014 but the expire date  is the same as my birthday 2# April in 2020 = 5 years 11 months. what the **** is going on?

Edited by brianthainess
removed a deleted abbreviation

This is normal. Remember to renew your licence next time after it expires (after your birthday). You will get the extra time again. I just did that 2 weeks ago. Renewed 1 day after my birthday and got 5 yrs 364 days. 

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

This is normal. Remember to renew your licence next time after it expires (after your birthday). You will get the extra time again. I just did that 2 weeks ago. Renewed 1 day after my birthday and got 5 yrs 364 days. 

Cool & thanks and a belated happy birthday. Although i am concerned as i have heard if you miss the renewal date you go back to 2 yrs. 

Edited by brianthainess
add content

54 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Do you know how many days you can be late without consequences? 

52 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Cool & thanks and a belated happy birthday. Although i am concerned as i have heard if you miss the renewal date you go back to 2 yrs. 

You have one year to renew a 5 year licence that has expired, without any penalty. 1 - 3 years expired you would need a written test. After 3 years expired one requires the drivign test too. Thanks for the birthday wishes. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both very much - will do it after my birthday. But I think the people should be aware that they are not allowed to drive if the license is expired - at least this is my understanding. So not so easy to get there to renew your licence. You need someone bringing you there. Otherwise especially in case of an accident you will have a problem. 

On 8/7/2019 at 2:53 PM, Beggar said:

Thank you both very much - will do it after my birthday. But I think the people should be aware that they are not allowed to drive if the license is expired - at least this is my understanding. So not so easy to get there to renew your licence. You need someone bringing you there. Otherwise especially in case of an accident you will have a problem. 

Just drive there, if its just after your birthday. You'd have to be extrememly unlucky to get pulled over or have an accident in the short time its expired. But I wouldn't drive on it expired for too long. I've been stopped 3 times in 20 years, so thought I'd take the chance:)

• Like 1